Verizon iPads everywhere -- what's the deal?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by catalyst6, May 12, 2011.

1. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

Almost impossible to find an iPad 2 anywhere without waiting in line early in the morning....yet, when I call the local Apple stores, I get the consistent "we only have Verizon 3G iPads in stock."

Where I am, I actually think Verizon coverage is better....so did they just manufacture more of the Verizon models or what?

2. tritonj macrumors 6502a

they could be pushing more Verizon models to stores and leaving the majority of att and wifi for online only in an effort to force feed certain models

3. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

I'm going to guess having no sim card, unlike the at&t model is what makes the difference. Besides if you have an AT&T iPhone, you'll probably get the AT&T iPad version as well....

4. serega macrumors regular

In Seattle area at Apple store I asked if they have Ipads2 salesman told me that all they have Verizon version 32 and 64. No ATT version. Its still better news.

5. Jof macrumors regular

A lot of ATT iPads were taken up by scalpers as they can be used abroad.

I have an ATT iPad because I can in it in UK, for example.

6. nickbarbs macrumors regular

Maybe we can stop calling them AT&t / verizon iPads and use the real terminology : GSM/HSDPA iPads vs CDMA iPads.

Is it a surprise that the iPad supporting GSM standards that has a sim card slot which is actually unlocked and can be used internationally with any carrier in the world is the more popular model than a non sim card USA only model that is stuck to one provider and one continent? Not only are tourists picking them up to take home but savvy Americans realise the vErizon model is also limited in usefulness.

I wish Apple didn't think the American market was so stupid. These AT&T models have nothing to do with AT&T you don't even need to sign up for a data plan after you buy it if you don't want to.

7. bryne macrumors member

bryne

The American market isn't stupid, but people still don't know the difference between GSM and CDMA hardware - phones just are not marketed that way here, especially in the carrier-locked market we have.

It's true that you don't need to sign up with a data plan once you buy one, but then why pay an extra $130 for the 3G chip?

8. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

ipads sold in the american market are for... the american market.
    there is only one compatible gsm carrier, and one compatible cdma carrier.

amazingly, that's all people want or should need to know.
    anyone interested in taking their american ipad for use on trips overseas likely already knows the difference.

9. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

gps is one possibility, and something they maybe should spell out more clearly.

10. donnaw macrumors 65816

Well, since wifi is not always available I bought the ATT model for 2 reasons:
    1). I plan to activate the data when we travel in the US
    2). I can plug in a local sim when we travel outside the US.

For anyone who travels outside the US the real question is why would you NOT get the GSM-capable model?

11. catalyst6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

They aren't marketed as CDMA/GSM iPads....they're marketed as either Verizon or AT&T.

So let's call them by their correct terms :/

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

IMO, both terms are equally correct. I mean, they do contain CDMA/GSM technology. Sure, for the American market, they are called Verizon/ATT, because that's more familiar, but it's like, you know, Toyota and Ford are both cars. You can call them Toyota, or you can call them cars -- depends on context, what you are trying to stress, etc.

13. Thedeathbear, May 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2011

Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

They aren't marketed as CDMA/GSM iPad, but they are CDMA/GSM iPads. Call them their correct terms. You know there are people outside the USA that get internet and use iPads on different carriers.

14. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I was going to write a long, detailed response, but I think I'll simply say that the ATT version can be used almost anywhere in the world while the Verizon one can't.

15. catalyst6, May 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2011

catalyst6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

Well don't you think if I'm seeing Verizon iPads everywhere....I'm in the US? This isn't a discussion on markets around the world....it's more of a discussion about why US customers aren't buying Verizon iPads in the quantities they are AT&T models.....or that Apple is supplying a significant amount of Verizon iPads vs. AT&T

16. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

If you are like me, I only activate my 3G when Im about to go on a long trip. An 130 is nothing when it comes to convenience.

17. xavierpunkreno macrumors 6502

While the AT&T iPad is labeled AT&T, it's unlocked right out of the box. You can use it with any service, in the US or around the world thanks to the sim card. Why be stuck to Verizon?

18. darngooddesign macrumors G3

1. The majority of American's don't travel internationally enough for them to worry about having a SIM-based device.
    2. ATT's 3G coverage is spotty in many large cities and grows weaker the further away from those cities you go.

19. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

So does T-Mobile offer a pay as you go service for data? Could be an option.

20. madat42 macrumors regular

Sounds like there's a chip on someone's shoulder. The original thread is about why we're seeing only Verizon iPads in stores. Since he mentioned Verizon, I assumed he was talking about the U.S. market. Anyway, here's my theory: since iPad 2 has now seen a global release, the GSM model, which is the same as the AT&T model, is in more demand worldwide because more countries use GSM. Apple can't keep up with production across the board but Verizon-CDMA models are more available because fewer people in the world can use them (or want them).

21. darngooddesign macrumors G3

T-Mobile does not have 3G towers on a compatible frequency. So you would be limited to EDGE speeds on an ATT iPad.

22. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Hummm... So using the statement of GSM iPad wouldn't really fit would it? Maybe GSM 850 or GSM 1900 stating the frequency would be better. ;)

23. madat42 macrumors regular

It's ironic that the Verizon-CDMA model has the appropriate chipset to allow both CDMA and GSM use. Too bad Apple couldn't make the iPad 2 3G dual-mode. Maybe next time.

24. poloponies macrumors 68030

I'm guessing this was vendor-driven. Verizon wouldn't want to sell a device that could be activated by AT&T & vice versa.

25. Mikee.Nu macrumors member

Mikee.Nu

Considering the Verizon iPad came out more recently, there aren't as many loyal costumers willing to upgrade to the iPad 2.

I personally didn't care about the carrier and snatched up a Verizon model. Can't tell a difference in signals from my previous iPad ATT model.