Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JrFreak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
I don't think it is, but I wanted to make sure. If it isn't that is REAL dumb. My ATT contract runs out in June and I would get a 25% discount on Verizon through work. Switching to Verizon now will stick me with a non-4G phone for two years... bah.

I would want to switch while Verizon is offering the unlimited data plan... not sure how long they will offer that.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
yep, the Verizon iPhone 4 is NOT 4G.

arn

Apple 26.2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2011
What up, 212?!
Nope, it sure isn't.

You can go to Verizon when your contract ends, then sell the iPhone 4 in 2012 to off-set the cost of the LTE iPhone.

Last edited:

digitard

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2004
Gilbert, AZ
Neither is the ATT, and the iPhone 5 (or whatever version) coming this Summer isn't going to be either. The 2012 summer refresh is when everyone expects LTE/4G to be added.

They addressed it, actually, in the press release. Basically the current LTE chipset would require a complete iPhone design overhaul that Apple didn't feel was acceptable so they're holding off until newer LTE/4G support is more advanced and they can work it into their existing design structure.

Not to mention neither ATT or Verizon have much in terms of 4G this year. They're expected to hit almost 2/3 of their network by 2013 so Summer 2012 release is the most expected.

ruinfx

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2008
Neither is the ATT, and the iPhone 5 (or whatever version) coming this Summer isn't going to be either. The 2012 summer refresh is when everyone expects LTE/4G to be added.

They addressed it, actually, in the press release. Basically the current LTE chipset would require a complete iPhone design overhaul that Apple didn't feel was acceptable so they're holding off until newer LTE/4G support is more advanced and they can work it into their existing design structure.

Not to mention neither ATT or Verizon have much in terms of 4G this year. They're expected to hit almost 2/3 of their network by 2013 so Summer 2012 release is the most expected.

not entirely true.

while an LTE iphone is unlikely until 2012, the iPhone released this summer will most likely support HSPA+ allowing it to be marketed as a 4G device.

to the OP:

when a 4G LTE iphone comes to verizon you will most likely not be able to use an unlimited 3G data plan with it. so if you buy an iphone 4 now with the hopes of eventually being able to use the same plan on the LTE iphone i wouldn't count on it.

verizon is being careful to mention that the $30 unlimited data plan is only for 3G capable smartphones. LTE phones will either require a more expensive unlimited plan or have tiered pricing. once the htc thunderbolt is released we will have a better indication of what verizon plans to do regarding LTE.

blackberrypilot

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2010
I would expect to see a 4G iPhone in 2012.

I wish/hope it would be able to work on both 3G and 4G networks, like we have 3G and Edge now.

MarximusMG

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2009
Denver
I would expect to see a 4G iPhone in 2012.

I wish/hope it would be able to work on both 3G and 4G networks, like we have 3G and Edge now.

I really think we'll see the first 4G iPhone in 2012 as well. It would be very unusual for Apple to release it this summer.

JrFreak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Thanks for the replies. I guess the 4g isn't that big of a deal for me. 4G won't be in my area for a couple years. Small city...

milani

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008

This.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Then why did you care if you were going to be stuck with a non-4G phone for two years? Make up your mind. :rolleyes:
Thanks for the replies. I guess the 4g isn't that big of a deal for me. 4G won't be in my area for a couple years. Small city...

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
No Verizon 4G LTE on the map for my area for a while. Thus I couldn't care less that the VZW iPhone isn't a 4G device. All these people shouting, "No 4G iPhone - that sux!!!" probably don't have 4G service in their area anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.