Verizon iPhone clicking noise when connected to wifi

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by nickmccally, Feb 13, 2011.

1. nickmccally macrumors member

I have this terrible light ringing in my ear whenever I am in range of a wifi network I connect to.

I called apple support, they had me reset the network connections.

It went away, what do you know.. Then I reconnected to my wifi networks and it is happening again.

Is it a common issue or should I get a replacement?

Thanks!

2. landscapeman macrumors regular

I have noticed a clicking while in our office. Close to a network equipment with wifi on. I get that clicking as well, Only in and around the equipment. I wonder if this is a issue with the phone or a issue with a bad speaker.

3. nickmccally thread starter macrumors member

Its driving me crazy. Only occurs if I am connected to wifi.

4. landscapeman macrumors regular

I hope someone has some insight. I have tolerated it and when I make a phone call I turn off the wifi antenna. I may stop in the Apple store and get their opinion.

5. nickmccally thread starter macrumors member

Considering the new antenna band, I'm curious if a new software update may be released as a fix soon.

6. Theicool macrumors member

Theicool

I had the same problem. Then i got a replacement my iPhone (for a different reason) and the new one doesn't do it.

7. landscapeman macrumors regular

8. shinbo macrumors newbie

i just came across this post and I'm having the same exact issue. clicking noise when connected to wifi but clear without.

Anybody else get this issue resolved by replacing it? Mine's 32gb fwiw.

9. shinbo macrumors newbie

Are you able to swap it out directly at the verizon store or do they tell you to go to the Apple Store? Do you have the 32gb or the 16gb?

10. darkside flow macrumors 6502

Now that you Verizon folks have the iphone, here's the number one lesson: NEVER TAKE YOUR PHONE TO VERIZON.

Apple will definitely swap out the phones for you on the spot for this reason. That's not normal at all.

11. nickmccally thread starter macrumors member

Just an update, apple replaced the phone. Also, the antenna would go from 5 bars down to 0 if I held the hold unit "wrong". I tried it with the new unit and I gained a bar. The other one must have just been a bad unit.

12. shinbo macrumors newbie

Does the new phone have the same issue or was it fixed with the replacement?

Edit: whoops didnt see the bad unit reply, I guess it's time for me to get it replaced.

13. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

Clicking with Wi-Fi. Ah, yes. It's a classic case of interference, if you're talking about external speakers clicking about. It's not a problem with the speaker nor the phone, it's just physics.

I had earphones before with a little built-in amplifier. This amp would pick up all sorts of interference when used next to devices that receive or transmit signals constantly. The most unique-sounding type of interference was the Wi-Fi and clicking.

14. Theicool macrumors member

Theicool

I did mine at the Apple store.

15. shinbo macrumors newbie

yeah except this specific issue doesn't happen to the two other iphones I got for my family plan.

16. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Are you trying to suggest that APPLE is having problems with radio interference on their phones?

Hmm, that doesn't sound anything like the APPLE that I know.

You're probably just using it wrong.

17. nickmccally thread starter macrumors member

Apple care told me I needed a new phone, and it was a senior advisor. The Apple store immediately replaced the device with the issue. Not to mention, my phone would go from 5 bars to 0 when held "wrong". I think the phone had a bad antenna, the new phone doesn't have any of these problems.

I can really see how the antennagate got blown up by the media with the select few devices that really had bad antennas.

18. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

Ugh, let's not have this again. All iPhone 4s have the antenna issue. Either you're in denial or your nearby towers got upgraded.

19. nickmccally thread starter macrumors member

I'm not denying it doesnt happen, just not to the previous extent. It previously had a sever problem, now it does not. And no, the network in my area wasn't updated yesterday.

20. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

The antenna is currently the same as it was from day one. Sorry.

21. nickmccally, Feb 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2011

nickmccally thread starter macrumors member

No the antenna is not the same, I have a verizon iPhone. It is completely redesigned. If you would scroll to my first post, it had wifi interference as well. That has a little something to do with antennas, understand?

The original phone I had, had malfunctioning antennas. The genius recognized this with the 2 issues and replaces the phone. Hence the major noise interference.

22. mKTank, Feb 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2011

mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

The Verizon iPhone's antenna is the same in the sense that if you touch the lower left seam, bye bye goes the signal.

23. dave420 macrumors 65816

I'm glad you got it fixed. With as many iPhones as they make there are bound to be a few with problems. Not sure why so many people are doubting your trouble.

24. shinbo macrumors newbie

For anybody out there that actually cares. I took my phone to the apple store and had it replaced and issue is now gone.

25. nickmccally thread starter macrumors member

I'm on my fifth and everyone has had the issue. My store bad a bad batch of replacement devices, one the antenna, one a bad screen, one wouldn't boot, and the most recent has a bad speaker. The manager is having a brand new device shipped to my house in the original packaging.

Do NOT replace your unit with a refurb if all you hear is a clicking with wifi. A future software update will fix the issue.