Verizon iPhone data coverage plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tmzn32, Jan 20, 2011.

1. tmzn32 macrumors newbie

Rumor has it that VZW may not offer the unlimited data plan when the iPhone releases. Given that, do you think it's worth to grab an unlimited data plan on my current phone, just for the possibility to get grandfathered into the unlimited data plan for the iphone?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Rumor has is that they will only offer the unlimited data package for a limited time. Rumors are funny because we never know which one is actually true.

3. tmzn32 thread starter macrumors newbie

So, probably waiting until its released is the best bet? I think they will probably keep that unlimited data, atleast for a little.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Unlimited Data and Free Mobile HotSpot will definitely one-up AT&T. But nothing official has been said yet.

5. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Verizon will not have free hotspot feature for the iPhone. There's no reason to even speculate they would.

6. zenit macrumors member

why not? they have offered free hotspot since forever on Palm phones (pre and pixi).

7. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I'm not saying that they will, thats why I said that nothing official has been said, but if you watch MacBreak Weekly episode 229, Andy Inako was live at the event and he asked a Verizon rep about their data plans, the rep responded that Verizon will be offering Unlimited Data Plans at the same price as the other smart phones they carry and that Mobile HotSpot will be included for no additional charge.

You can watch it here at 31 minutes in.
    http://twit.cachefly.net/video/mbw/mbw0229/mbw0229_h264b_864x480_500.mp4

That is what I based my theory on, but I guess we will have to wait for an official announcement.

8. Resist macrumors 68030

You mean the limited 5GB data plan?

9. scelzifan macrumors 6502

I talked to 2 different reps from Verizon on the phone tonight and was going to add unlimited data to my plan so when the Iphone came out I would be set and hopefully grandfathered in. I am due a upgrade since I am just using a couple year old phone until the Iphone is released and they both told me the exact same thing, that I could add the unlimited data to my plan but when I went to order the Iphone I would have to chose a different data plan at that time. So I am pretty much 100 percent sure that their plans are going to change and they just don't want to say anything yet. Why else would they have BOTH told me the exact same thing? Prices are going up or data is coming down, I can just about guarantee it now. I hope it leaks before the 3rd because the way I was told is that they wouldn't even know until then and you would order your phone and then pick your plan so at that point they kind of have you locked in unless you can cancel your order. But honestly in my eyes it doesn't look good. Guess we will see.

10. tmzn32 thread starter macrumors newbie

Damn, so they will really change your plan even though you signed up for unlimited before the release of the iphone? doesnt seem like that would happen

11. scelzifan macrumors 6502

That is what they said, it also says that under the facts on the iphone page on their site too. So I am fairly certain we are in for a treat, and not a good one.

12. black743 macrumors 6502

People STILL believe the 5gb myth. Right now, unlimited is unlimited...no 5gb, no nothing. When they go to 5gb (or whatever it is), then it will no longer be unlimited.

13. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Verizon's Unlimited Data Plan for smartphones is... unlimited.

The 5GB limit is on laptop modems and such.

14. Megavolt419 macrumors newbie

i know the 5gb will be on the 4g network tho.

Let's all hope they keep their unlimited for now.

15. Reaper0bot0 macrumors regular

There is NO five gig cap on the smartphone data plan. There just isn't. People who say there is one are simply and completely wrong.

Utterly incorrect. There is no cap, soft or hard. Just don't be a complete idiot about things (which is true with anything in life). I have exceeded five gigs several times. Never a problem. Read the terms of service - there is no cap.

Every damned thread somebody brings that up, completely bereft of any actual knowledge, but dammit THEY READ SOMETHING ON THE INTERNET SOMEWHERE.

16. judesign macrumors newbie

yeah but I read on the internet there is a cap...

17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Oh if it was on the Internet then it is definitely true.

18. Megavolt419 macrumors newbie

If it's staying the same why won't Verizon just say so in the first place, in the FAQ they say they will announce data pricing at a later date. ..

19. Resist macrumors 68030

Okay, well then what about the recent news about Verizon and AT&T raising the price of their plans?

Also, the $5 200MB text plan is going away, making it so the cheapest text plan will now be $10 a month. I'm not to happy about this because I use the $5 plan with a free text app, now I have to pay even more money a month.

By itself the $5 is not a lot of money, but just seems like everyone is raising their prices. DMV, sales tax, insurance, Netflix, cable, gas........stop the madness!

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Verizon giving away free tethering?
    Dream again:D

You dont have to switch your text plan.
    You can keep the 200 texts for $5 if you have it now. You will be grandfathered just like the unlimited data plans.

21. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

I will bet you that verizon offers free tethering with the iPhone :D they do with android, so why not? Android users use more data on average anyways.

22. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

You can send the $ to my PayPal account come the 10th. I'm sure there will be a lot of 'dumbphone' users will have been waiting out. I know four personally who have Bladkberries that have been waiting. Although they're considered smartphones the browsing experience isn't that great, especially for the older models. Also, Verizon simply won't give away free tethering because they know they won't have to. AT&T charges $20 plus $25. They have a ton of room to be flexible with their fees. Also, trying to grandfather yourself in might not exactly work. With AT&T iPhone owners prior to June of 09 had contracts that gave them unlimited Internet for iPhones. Sure they allow you to change from one unlimited smartphone data plan to another but they didn't have to. Since Verizon has no iPhone you can't exactly be grandfathered into an unlimited iPhone data plan. Let's just hope for the best regarding the data plans.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I will take that bet any day for any amount.:D
    Read what Goldinboy17 said.
    Verizon and carriers in general are not a charity, they're into business to make money not give services for free;)

24. tnisatard macrumors 6502

because no one wants those phones!

25. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502