Verizon iPhone Data Plans

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ghsNick, May 21, 2011.

1. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Ok...so I went into 2 reliable Verizon stores today and talked to two managers who I've known for a couple years and they reassured me that if you have the Unlimited Data Plan that they offer now, that you will be grandfathered in when you buy a new phone/i5 this September.

I'm hoping all this information is true because I don't want to buy a year old i4 to keep my Unlimited Data...the reason I'm posting this is because some thought if you updated to the i5 in September when Verizon has the tiered data plans that you'll loose your Unlimited Data Plan.

2. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Hard to say. Verizon will remove unlimited data plans. Since next iphone will not be likely be LTE iPhone, Verizon will probably let you be grandfathered in. But, if you get iphone 4 now, then you won't be eligible to get iphone 5 at discounted prices.

3. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

Do what I did. Buy an unlocked pixi plus off newegg for $58. Boom. Grandfathered.
    Doesn't use up your upgrade. Then buy the iP5

4. Bonds79 macrumors 6502

Yes VZW has already said current iphone users will always be grandfathered with unlimited data until you choose to change to another plan. So all 2million of us are grandfathered in unlimited iphone data. Unlimited Data Android users will not have this option if they decide to change to iphone

5. amdmaxx macrumors member

What if I am coming off an Android phone? Should be able to grandfather in unlimited as well?

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Yes sir.

7. Bonds79 macrumors 6502

as long as u have a iphone unlimited data plan before the tiered data goes in effect you are fine;)

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

My understanding is that you don't need an iPhone unlimited data plan to be grandfathered in. I think you just need any smartphone unlimited data plan.

9. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

No. They said if you have Unlimited Data (for any phone) that your next upgrade will continue to stay Unlimited. They didn't say you needed to have the i4...just currently have Unlimited Data (I have a Droid)

10. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

I hope Verizon knows that unlimited data is what is keeping most of their customers with them. It is kind of the only advantage they have for me.

11. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Yeah. If you have a contract with them your plan won't change...the only thing your changing is your phone...but your contract plan still stays the same.

It doesn't/shouldn't matter what phone you have now.

12. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

13. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Now that could be an issue. If you got an LTE phone now you'll definitely be locked in for the Unlimited Data. But if you don't have LTE then I have no idea what would happen. I'm staying on 3g as long as I can if they try and make me go to tiered LTE lol.

14. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

The way my Verizon 3G was so unusable yesterday, I wouldn't want to grandfather 3G. My AT&T 3G was fine yesterday, but Verizon's 3G is worse than Edge. I think Verizon should grandfather unlimited data when upgrading to 4G LTE, because when you're in a area that doesn't a 4G LTE signal... we will still have to deal with Verizon's slow 3G.

15. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Verizons EvDO covers allot more people than AT&T's HSPA fact. How verizons EvDO compares speed wise/ect. to AT&T's HSPA in general and specific areas is what ill get to below...
    I still find it funny how it took tell the iPhone 4 to come out on verizon for people to REALLY understand how slow EvDO is in comparison to AT&T's HSPA. It seams like no one complained about EvDO rarely going over 1.5MB/s until the iPhone 4 went CDMA2000. AT&T vs Verizon:
    ---AT&T HSPA 3G
    +High speed 3G that will be able to keep up with LTE.
    +World wide handset compatibilty for the most part (do not feel like explaining frequency bands)
    -Not as wide spread deployed as EvDO (EvDO was a software upgrade while HSPA/UMTS was hardware thus making it much more difficult to deploy, see every European GSM carrier for proof though they did act earlier and quicker).
    -AT&T had some backhaul issues thus causing dropped calls and inconsistant data rates in the past but from what I've seen from actual users (ie: not your idiot friends who know nothing past competitive commercials and word of mouth) this has massively improved.

---Verizon EvDO 3G
    +Widely deployed. Enough said, if there is 1xRTT (2G) service there is most likely EvDO (3G) service and if there isn't the next tower probably does have it. EvDO is pretty common place and you don't see verizon users wondering if they have 3G as much as AT&T users do.
    +CDMA2000 holds a signal very well even when down to a bad signal however data rates suffer.
    -EvDO unless in perfect conditions just does not get much over 1.5MB/s. In fact if I had the option I would most likely be on AT&T because I can deal with decent EDGE vs bad EvDO because the second EvDO drops from perfect to decent its give or take a little fast than EDGE.
    -No handset compatibility. Have fun roaming anywhere but Mexico and Canada and a few other places CDMA2000 is not really a world standard and there is no option to buy a prepaid SIM card overseas and use it in your CDMA2000 iPhone 4.

I think 4G LTE should not be effecting pricing of data plans. Currently we pay for data service not 3G service so that means regardless of whether your on 1xRTT or EvDO on verizon your paying $30 a month for unlimited and regardless of whether your on nothing, GPRS, EDGE, UMTS with AT&T your paying 15 or 25 dollars a month for one of their plans. I think its important we understand these concepts before we start talking about future plans as well as attempt to understand carriers concepts.

16. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

Yah... I guess I'll stick with AT&T when/if I upgrade my iPhone. I do like my 4G LTE mifi, and like having 2 different carriers for data since I can switch back and forth. Right now I'm connected to 4G with my iPad, but my iPhone on AT&T 3G is great at the beach right now.

17. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

LOL! Will not matter as AT&T will be doing away with their unlimited plans, too. They both will go to a data use tier where you pay for what you use.

18. ap3604 macrumors 68000

You are very wise lilco08. I did the same thing :)

Im on Att at the moment but I bought the $55 Pixi as a backup phone in case I ever need it as well as a way to secure unlimited data while keeping my upgrade for the iPhone 5 if I end up going with Verizon...