Verizon iPhone dreamers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sgt93, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Sgt93 macrumors 6502

Sgt93

It's just that, a dream. Verizon will not bs getting the iPhone. Don't ask me how I know, I just do.

2. iBaloney macrumors 6502

iBaloney

but i also had a dream, that a vzw rep told me that the iphone will be out for verizon in jan. 2011.

3. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

You are 100% correct.

The ultra successful partnership between Verizon and Motorola is paying off handsomely. Their brilliant marketing of the Droid brand is on a roll. With momentum and Android popularity on their side, its more than Steve Jobs ego can handle.

Surrounded internally by his "yes men" Jobs feels untouchable.
    However the market is sending a different message as Android continues to blossom. Once able to dictate his terms, Verizon passed once, and has no fear of doing it again.

The iPhone is selling well, Jobs should enjoy it while it lasts.

Nothing goes on forever. He'll get a high from Chinese buyers, then the decline will begin.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

...and then in June, the 5th iteration of the iPhone will be released,. and the cycle will begin again.

Yes, yes, we've heard predictions of the decline of the iPhone before. The truth remains that CDMA (and Verizon) is small potatoes compared to the global market.

In the meantime, there's enough impetus for people to continue buying iPhones on AT&T in the US to make it profitable, with the continuing possibility of an expansion to T-Mobile. It'll keep existing AT&T iPhone customers loyal, while bringing in enough new customers to make it worthwhile. Yet there are enough detractors and Apple haters to keep Verizon and Motorola happy as they buy/upgrade to the latest Droid model. All of the involved companies will continue to thrive in healthy competition, which generally doesn't ever involve complete domination of the market.

And of course, fanboys of <insert platform here> will continue to post messages claiming that <insert market "research" figures here> clearly signals the death and utter destruction of <insert competing platform here>.

Of course this is an oversimplification. it doesn't include other platforms, such as S60/Symbian, Windows 7 Phone, Palm, RIM, and others. All of which still have a share in the market, further proving that it's nearly impossible for a single platform to totally dominate, and it's actually quite hard for a platform to fully decline and disappear (see Palm, Nokia).

5. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Just because someone chooses a Droid on Verizon doesn't mean they are a detractor or Apple hater. A lot of people have chosen to go with a Droid because Verizon is a better network for them. Saying you are either 100% with us or 100% against us is not really a fair statement. I like my Apple products, but I also like my Motorola Droid. When it comes time to upgrade in November I will probably get a Motorola Droid X. Not because I hate Apple, but because AT&T is a VERY poor network in my area. The Droid X is a great alternative to the iPhone and if you want to be on the Verizon network but want an iPhone like experience it is your best bet.

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I was writing within a specific and narrow context, but you are also proving my point quite nicely in that you felt the need to actively defend your decision and also critique Apple's network choice.

7. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

Can you tell me my future then?

8. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

The problem with Verizons network dominance angle is that the other carriers have had years to catch up as far as building cell towers.

After the next 5 years, GSM will have caught up and there will be a reasonable amount of people that will feel more comfortable getting any carrier and any phone they feel like.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Can i get next weeks powerball numbers please:D

10. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

I find it hilarious how some people think of this in sports terms and for some reason also think that in order for their platform of choice to succeed all other platforms must go out of business and actually root for their platform to monopolize the market, which hardly ever happens. In fact the closest thing would be windows pc market share, which is something like 90% worldwide, even the iPod has a less dominant market at around 70%, yet these same fanboys don't talk about Mac being dead.

11. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

You do know Verizon lost money the last two quarters... Buy one get one free isn't that great. Motorola got paid but it's Verizon who is losing money short term. There was just a survey saying that 10 million iPhone users would go to Verzion if they had the iPhone. How many people on Verizon would leave Android or other phones if the iPhone was on Verizon. It's good for everyone if and when the iPhone goes to all major carriers in the US

12. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

I honestly can't take anything you say seriously as you've chosen to throw out the "fanboy" card.

13. thetexan macrumors 6502a

For Verizon, an iPhone on their network is "nice" at best, but not a must have. Verizon has great growth, low churn, and has seen record profits since the iPhone was released. They weathered that storm and the storm has died down. Everyone who wanted and iPhone has one for the most part. Would they turn it down? Of course not. Are they going to beg Apple for it and change their way of doing business? Probably not, since they don't need to.

Sprint on the other hand...

14. Savor Suspended

Savor

It's true.

Nothing stays on top forever. Steve Jobs can't live forever. It is like that verse from Andre 3000 in Ms. Jackson. "Forever doesn't seem that long until you've grown." iPhone is in its PRIME right now, but its popularity will eventually decline at some point. Perhaps Apple can milk it great for the next 5-10 years and then it will be just another competitor. Like Sony and their first two generation of the PlayStation consoles. There is going to be a point when one fails to innovate and just run out of ideas. It is like TV shows. We expect them to stay fresh like the beginning, but eventually the writing declines for it. Think of The Simpsons or Family Guy. Or like relationships, we always love the beginning of it. We think about being with them forever and forever. Then it gets stale.

Back in 2007, there was a huge gap between iPhone vs the rest of the competition. Like Grand Canyon size. Right now, iPhone might still be ahead, but the gap isn't as large as it used to be. Fanboys can't think short-sighted about it. Things can change really quickly in this competitive industry. Ask Motorola and Nokia. iPhone feels like just another top smartphone. But its luster wore off and will it continue to those who aren't unfamiliar to the playform. Doesn't mean it will die. Just means it is another option out there while there will be cheaper options that could almost do the things an iPhone can do and have stronger hardware. Think of a PC vs Mac. iPhone just isn't as fresh as it once was. Kinda like how I feel about jailbreaking too. Amazing back in 2008 when everything was still FREE and NEW. It wasn't as mainstream yet. But now? Still keeping my phone in vanilla form.

15. Sgt93 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sgt93

I gave it a shot and no luck sorry.

16. macfan881 macrumors 68020

[​IMG]

17. Bleak macrumors member

Cough *windows* cough.

18. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

What's your point? People use products that are good now, not products that are worse now but there successor may be better in the future (which would be good now, in the future).

19. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

On the contrary, Verizon Wireless had record revenues and customer gains. Churn was at its lowest level in two years.

Your conclusions are garbled, probably because you forgot that Verizon Communications is made up of two main divisions:

There's Verizon Wireless and there's the old Verizon landline. The posted loss came from the landline side laying off thousands of workers, as customers continute moving over to wireless phones. (The same thing is happening to ATT.)

20. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Why would I not defend my decision? It was the right decision for me. Why would I critique Apple's network choice? Maybe for the fact that the network they chose doesn't work where I live. That is a pretty good reason not to use it. Right?

21. Glideslope Suspended

Glideslope

I'd say the Samsung Fascinate is more "iPhone Like" than the X. This after spending quite a bit of time in a Verizon Brick and Mortar on Saturday with friends. I was very impressed with the Samsung. Samsung will be a big problem for Motorola very soon.

You are absolutely correct however that it's really about networks. Until this summer I dreamed about a Verizon iPhone due to the horrendous at&t coverage in my area. Then a new tower goes up in July, and I'm 3G in my house. Now Verizon is not a big deal. Unless of course there would be a reason to wait for an LTE Verizon iPhone July 2011? Na, no way. :apple:

22. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

All these choices are personal ones. Does it really matter which phone or carrier as long as you are happy?

23. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

iPhone on Verizon doubters - it's just that, a dream. Verizon will be getting the iPhone. Don't ask me how I know, I just do.

So there - we're even. I don't believe you were kidding. Neither am I. So now we'll just have to see won't we :cool:

24. Sticman macrumors member

Any idea when? January I hope. Verizon's service is not perfect here in the San Jose area, but its way better than AT&T's coverage.

25. mistertomlinson macrumors 6502

36 40 13 15 33 Powerball: 9