Verizon iPhone Flaws Revealed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Aatos.1, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Goldfrapp, Jan 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2011

Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

How many more years will it take NYT to learn how to spell the word 'iPhone' correctly?

Edit: the article ain't nothing that we haven't already known. Common sense is all one needs. :rolleyes:

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

What a strange article: I thought the physical keyboard argument had died years ago, and the majority of non-blackberry smartphones don't have a keyboard.
    Also, most of the call issues are caused by ATT's network: I've never had a dropped call on O2 since the iPhone 3G came out.
    Finally, the battery life on my iPhone 4 is the best I've ever had on a smartphone.
    I'd have expected to see those criticisms when the original iPhone came out, but things have moved on a lot since then...

3. The General macrumors 601

they serve ads on their site, why are they making me log in?

4. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

Well, have you tried logging in first?

5. The General macrumors 601

I'm not going to make an account.

6. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I agree, odd article. It didn't make the points I thought it would and the point it did make? Well, they failed to mention the year-long QA process that Verizon put the iPhone through. I'm fairly certain all those bugs in the baseband that AT&T failed to catch....you know Verizon already saw what happened to AT&T and made sure they were taken care of (the bugs were no secret, they just didn't get as much press exposure...go figure.)

7. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

Well, then enjoy the ads. :rolleyes:

8. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

Not a bad read, mostly true. My iPhone 4 drops every call I make or receive within a few minutes. My friends 3GS doesn't. I think the blame is mostly on Apple.

9. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Seriously, did he just copy and paste that article from 2007?

Ok, maybe early 2008?

-Poor Battery Life- Compared to what exactly? A pre-smartphone Nokia candybar?
    -No physical keyboard- Can anyone name a top level smartphone that STILL has one?
    -Verizon Rejected Apple's iPhone- Hasn't that recently been debunked?

Funny that he didn't mention AntennaGate. I seriously think he wrote this in 2007/2008, and just copied and pasted for today.

10. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Neither my 3G nor my iPhone 4 has ever dropped a call, except in a couple places where the reception is virtually non-existant. I've never heard of iPhone users in Canada having the same dropped-call issues as AT&T users.

Blaming dropped calls on the phone is a red herring.

11. Kauai macrumors 6502a

I agree with most of your points, but to be fair the HTC Evo Shift has one and it looks pretty sweet. Plus a kickstand. Just saying. :D

12. Stein357 macrumors 6502

I stopped reading when he claimed that if you weren't careful you could kill the battery by noon.

13. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

same exact thing with me. this article is pure horse ****. the iPhone 4 is claimed as one having one of the BEST battery life cycles of the bunch.

14. RebeccaL macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

That article sounds like it was written by an Android fanboy flaming Apple and ATT.

There is so much lies and BS in the article. I accept the iPhone and ATT have lots of flaws, but the author just makes up fake facts that have nothing to do with the real reported problems.

15. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

It's an OpEd piece, nothing more. What's surprising is that the NYT posted it under Business, as if there was real news being reported or analyzed.

16. adztaylor macrumors 68000

The iPhone works perfectly on my carrier here in the UK. Never had a dropped call, despite not being in the best of signal areas.

They don't seem to understand that the iPhone does serve on many carriers around the world and most don't have a problem. This would mean that it's AT&T's problem and not the phones.

17. Vegastouch, Jan 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2011

Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

You should of kept reading because in that article it says those switching to Verizon and have a problem with their iPhone, you will have to take it to Verizon and not the Genius bar. In other words, Good luck getting Verizon to just hand you over a new phone like Apple does.

Looks like Verizon as far as that goes ISNT the carrier to be with when you break your Phone and with that china doll glass....not a good thing.

Pick your poison. Get a new replacement or better phone service.

Here is that tidbit:

As much as anything, the success of Android is what finally pushed Apple into the arms of Verizon Wireless, which got much better terms than AT&T. When I asked a spokeswoman for Verizon Wireless who was going to control the customer, she told me that iPhone users who were having problems would take their phone to the nearest Verizon Wireless store, not the Apple genius bar. Verizon Wireless does not appear to have promised the guaranteed subsidy, the way AT&T did.

18. Kevlar macrumors 6502

Only ever had 1 dropped call on my iPhone 4 on Rogers here in Canada (On new years at midnight). Never had one with my 3G. Sound quality is fine. Think these "iPhone" flaws are more AT&T flaws. Battery is as good as my work blackberry, and I wish I never would have to use a physical keyboard on a phone again.

19. DeathChill macrumors 68000

I'd have to imagine that's completely wrong. We all know Apple place importance on being able to communicate with their customers and help them directly so I can't imagine you won't be able to take it to the Apple Store.

20. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I'm guessing Apple will still be an option, but if you call or contact Verizon they will direct you to their store first.

21. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

I guess you will find out when you show up in an Apple store with Verizon embedded on your phone.

22. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I think all the issues raised are NYC only issues. I've used my iPhone all over the US, and I've rarely had any dropped calls. When I've had dropped calls, it was when moving from at&t to a roaming network, and most of those weren't with my iPhone. The call quality I've had has been superior to any call I've made or received with any other phone. Hell, when I got my iPhone, the people I would call asked if I was on a land line, because the clarity was awesome.

TEG

23. emkwan macrumors regular

emkwan

It's amazing. I'n the UK we've had the iPhone on over all the carriers. But I guess it is a massive deal to USA'ers. Most of the article seems to be from 2007 copy and pasted. Funny lol

24. RebeccaL macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

That's the issue, I expected a business analyst kind of article. Instead the article seems to have been written by an ANALyst.