Verizon iPhone Jailbreak. Is it safe?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Fugue, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Fugue macrumors 6502

I cannot wait to jailbreak my Verizon iPhone, but before I do I would like to know its status.

Questions regarding the greenpois0n 4.2.6 jailbreak:

1) Is the greenpois0n 4.2.6 untethered jailbreak stable?

2) Does jailbreaking effect the battery life of the iPhone?

3) What about the overall speed?

4) Which applications in Cydia suck up a lot of battery and should be avoided?

5) When jailbreaking will I lose all of my music, applications, contacts, and other data from the iPhone?

6) Will I still be able to sync my phone with iTunes?

Thanks!

2. Neobond macrumors regular

1) Yes.
    2) It depends on what you install.
    3) See answer #2.
    4) On a 3GS nothing slows it down terribly. Gimmicky apps like 3DBoard will.
    5) No.
    6) Yes.

3. jlmitnick macrumors regular

I don't know any specifics on any Verizon jailbreaks, but generally speaking, a jailbreak just lets you put additional programs on through Cydia or whatnot, it doesn't effect any of the things in questions 2, 3, 5, or 6.

As to jailbreak apps that use a lot of battery...well anything that sort of runs in the background. There are some apps that can do things that Apple approved apps wouldn't allow, such as LockInfo which can have an RSS feed display on your lockscreen and keep updating every 5 minutes even if you're not waking your phone, etc. But again, as a general rule the jailbreak apps don't effect battery life any more than you would think they ought to.

4. iCouRt macrumors newbie

have you guys actually done the jailbreak yet?!

5. KINetics, Feb 8, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2011

KINetics macrumors member

I've jailbroken it.

It works with Greenposi0n RC5_b4 with MacOS. Didn't try the windows version, but I'm sure it works.

The only problem I see so far is that you can't restore to the stock OS v4.2.6.

iTunes will restore the phone and at the very last moment, it will say that the restore failed and put the phone in restore mode. No matter what I try, I can't get out of restore mode.

I tried using TinyUmbrella but the Exit Restore mode button is greyed out.

I think TinyUmbrella needs to be updated to work with v4.2.6 Verizon iPhone. Since after jailbreaking, I tried to backup my SHSH blobs and it didn't work.

My only recourse was to use Greenposi0n again to Jailbreak it and get out of Restore mode. Worked fine. After jailbroken, the phone was restored to stock (settings wiped, phone needing activation). The only exception was that it was jailbroken. Not a huge issue unless you're planning on returning the phone to where you bought it.

EDIT: As of today, it looked like TinyUmbrella has been updated to work with the Verizon iPhone. It's in beta though since the developer doesn't have a Verizon iPhone. It might be able to bring the phone out of recovery mode right after iTunes reports the recovery failure. Don't know. Haven't tried it.

PPS: MyWi current does not work with v4.2.6 Verizon iPhone. It causes the springboard to "crash" and operates in safe mode. Everything seems to work okay, except it says safe mode on the top center of the screen. No amount of reboots or resprings will fix it.

Trying to uninstall MyWi in Cydia throws up errors during the uninstall and doesn't fully uninstall the "MyWi on Demand" package.

Didn't have a chance to actually test if MyWi worked. Was buggered about the safe mode issue so hence the restore.

EDIT 2/9/11: Update 4.51.1 for MyWi is out with a fix for iOS 4.2.6 (Verizon iPhone).

6. Gata macrumors regular

7. yayitsezekiel macrumors 6502a

yayitsezekiel

I jailbroke my Verizon iPhone out of the box and everything is working perfectly.

8. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Good news all around. Looks like we'll all be able to do a whole lotta JB'ing before 4.3 comes out.

9. Fugue thread starter macrumors 6502

Just to clarify:

Jailbreaking the iPhone removes all content and data from it? Apps, music, etc...?

A backup is the latest version of the iPhone that iTunes saved?

A restore is done if one wants to revert the iPhone back to its previous state? Is there a way to restore back to stock?

10. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

To summarize, you can jb with greenpoison, you can restore but you must use greenpoison to do it and of course you will be jailbroken as part of that process. Good to know.

11. kidsays macrumors newbie

Helpp!!!

i jailbroke my **** and restarted my phone. when it came on the only apps that show are youtube stocks weather utilites settings on the main screen..
    wtff happened?/ did anyone esle have this problem?

12. Gata macrumors regular

So, basically, this? (Just wanting to double-check):

1. You should jailbreak with Greenpois0n.
    2. If you want to restore, you have to use Greenpois0n for the jailbreak, but you restore through iTunes.
    3. Your device will still show up as jailbroken after the restore??? (really confused about this one).

13. dxta0 macrumors member

dxta0

I think the reason it did not restore in the first place was because TinyUmbrella automatically blocks the activation server to prevent you from updating by mistake and losing your jailbreak.

14. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

I suspect the reason a standard restore from Apple is not working for you is that you ran TINY umbrella at some point and it changed your host file. Since you are no longer pointing gs.apple.com to apple servers that is why your restore fails. Either check your host file or open a terminal window and ping gs.apple.com and check the IP address it gets back if it starts with 74 as the first number it is pointing to Cydia server if it starts with 127 it is correctly pointing to apple.

If you want to normalize your host file you can open tiny umbrella select advance mode and uncheck the box that says change host file to cydia on exit. When you close Tiny umbrella it will normalize your host file and the restore should work.

15. headcase macrumors 6502

headcase

I'm really curious to know if anyone has successfully restored their Verizon iPhone to the stock firmware after they've jailbroken it. Obviously, it would NOT be a good thing if this wasn't possible, for various reasons (eg. for upgrading to the next iOS release, or have their phone repaired at a local Apple store).

Any takers, for those who already have a Verizon iPhone?

16. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

I had an issue when I first tried to JB it, and put it into DFU mode that it wouldn't come out (this is pre B4's release by a few hours). I started to freak a little bit and tried a restore and got an error code right at the end. Since neither GP B4 was out, yet, and Tiny Umbrella wouldn't see my phone I was a bit concerned. Was able to find a solution after some googling of the error code I got trying to restore.

I was able to get it to restore at that point by a 2 step process (note: the 2nd step may not be necessary, but I did it just to be safe).

This was done on a Macbook Pro:

Step 1. Go to your “Applications” folder
    Step 2. Go to your “Utilities” folder
    Step 3. Launch “Terminal”
    Step 4. Type “sudo nano /etc/hosts” (without quotes) and hit return
    Step 5. Enter your password
    Step 6. Use the down arrow key to find the “gs.apple.com” entries. Once the cursor is in front, make sure you comment out the line(s) by entering “#” (no quotes) in front of the text
    Step 7. Save the file by pressing CONTROL+O on the keyboard
    Step 8. Exit the nano editor by pressing CONTROL+X on the keyboard.

Once those steps were done I downloaded the 4.2.6 file manually (link was on MR's main page a week ago when it was released. Then went into ITunes, held down Control, clicked restore, and selected that IPW file to restore.

I restored fine.

I don't remember where I got those steps from directly, but I did some googling to find them again and they're listed for both MAC and WINDOWS in this article in case you need something to bookmark. It's not what I found, but those are the same steps.

http://thetechjournal.com/electroni...os-4-2-1-iphone-4iphone-3gshow-to-guide.xhtml

I have a feeling this will allow people to restore back to stock if they jailbreak... not 100%, though.

17. Olivia23 macrumors 6502a

Olivia23

I've been having problems with just regular updating in itunes. It keeps giving me an error. When I read this, I pinged it and it started with 74. What can I do to change it back? I don't know what I did to change it in the first place. I do have Tiny Umbrella on my computer, but from what I can see, I never installed it.

18. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

Olivia23,
    To change it back look up to my post above, and follow the steps. You can either comment it out like my post mentions (which is how I fixed my issue) or you will see the IP address, and you can simply adjust the value.

The rest of the steps should be right on how to get to the file, and save it.

19. headcase macrumors 6502

headcase

I'll still ask the thousand dollar question: has anyone successfully restored to a stock iOS firmware on their Verizon iPhone after injecting a jailbreak? I think it's important for us to know if this has been completed successfully, without any remnants of the JB code left on the phone.

20. Olivia23 macrumors 6502a

Olivia23

Oops, see it now. Thanks.:eek:

21. brandon2886 macrumors newbie

I tried to JB my phone with Greenpois0n it's shipped IOS of 4.2.5 and It seemed to work fine. When I tried to open the program called "installer" ,or something similar, the program just crashed. Believe the reason being was that Greenpois0n works 4.2.6, which you would have to update your phone to get. I'm trying it right now. I also had no problem restoring my phone back to with itunes, but it was restoring it to 4.2.6

22. brandon2886 macrumors newbie

I just used Greenpois0n with 4.2.6 and it seems to have worked. It let me install cydia this time from the installer.

23. freshass macrumors newbie

confirmed!

24. headcase macrumors 6502

headcase

Cool beans. I thought it was likely possible, given some folks have already commented about doing a JB on 4.2.5 and then realizing there was some bugs, doing a restore and update to 4.2.6 and then doing another JB on that clean image. Good to know nonetheless, as I want to test run the Verizon iPhone for the 14 day trial period first, and was contemplating doing the JB during that period.

thx.

25. KINetics macrumors member

You sir are brilliant! A thousand "thank yous". You are correct that I did run TinyUmbrella and under the advance mode tab "Host file to cydia" was checked. I checked my hosts file on my MacbookPro and gs.apple.com was pointing to IP address 74.x.x.x

I did what you said and unchecked that option in TinyUmbrella. Pinging gs.apple.com now works.

Thanks! This method would work as well.