Verizon Iphone launch fail

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SydneyJunkie, Feb 10, 2011.

1. SydneyJunkie macrumors regular

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I wouldn't call it a fail, people who were smart and made a Reservation weren't allowed to pick up their phones until Noon, 7am was for the people without reservations (which I find odd how that was backwards from AT&T's launch).

My cousin just called me, she just got home from an hour+ wait at the Apple Store in San Jose, Ca. I think everyone knew that Apple was going to hold their reservations until closing, so no one was in a rush to be there at 7am.

3. Amnak macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ya I was told that for Verizon phone launches it's typical for them to get crowded at night not the morning strange huh.. People actually work at 7am

4. Jack105 macrumors member

I made a reservation for the Apple store. Thought I'd get there early and walked in at 11 to the surprise of no line. The helped me right away. Earlier in the morning I drove around curious of the lines outside of Verizon stores and saw maybe max 12 people in line. Oh well good for me!

5. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Its pretty pathetic you would even post this...why do you care? I dont understand you AT&T fanboys really, Verizon has the iPhone which means competition for AT&T which means better things from both companies and the iPhone market is now much larger. Only good can come out of it yet all of you talk about Verizon like they are the plague.

6. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

7. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I agree. I don't think it failed. A lot of people on AT&T network are stuck in a contract. I know about 20 of my friends on VRz traded in their BB for iPhones. I'm sure a lot of VRz customers did the same. It was easier to do it online. Vrz stores are always packed.

8. tsolt macrumors regular

tsolt

Thumbs up

9. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Not to mention the stupid "Sign In" process you have to go through...

10. kardiackeith macrumors member

Pre-orders covered a lot of people. And while people may not have been camped out, I'm sure Verizon stores were much more crowded than normal throughout the day. Just because there's enough supply doesn't make a launch a fail.

11. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

I got mine on preorder the 3rd, as did hundreds of thousands of people. I did however go with my brother so he could get his at the Apple Store since the line was upgradeable today....it was pretty empty. The guy who handled the sale said they had 1400 people in the summer and that there were no lines today. They had plenty of stock.

Despite all the pent up demand...it's still a mid cycle phone months past the hype....tons of people under contracts, right after Christmas...it's not the best time for a launch. We'll see what the numbers end up being for the quarter. I still say they sell more iPhones on Verizon than the next 2 or 3 droids down the line combined. And yeah, I think they might have hurt themselves a bit by waiting 3 and a half years to do this. Lots of people did give up. I think Apple should have broken exclusivity with the 3GS onwards if you ask me.

Even if it was a "flop"...(right!) I hardly care. I did not hesitate for a second to switch from the original Droid. It really was a placeholder and as much as Android has progressed in real terms over the past year or so, and as much as I will indeed miss some things about it....it really wasn't a hard choice for ME at all. I am extremely happy to have one! I suspect the event in June will be heavily tilted towards iOS 5.0 rather than the looks or insides of the actual phone. And that's why I chose not to keep waiting. The main difference with Android and iOS is that with Apple you know that the phone you buy will get most of the new features in the OS every year, painfully not the case with an Android phone. I think Apple knows that it's time they overhauled certain aspects of the OS and everyone with an iPhone 4 will benefit.

12. MarximusMG macrumors 6502a

MarximusMG

Exactly. There were so many other options for those who were really intent on getting the phone. The majority of us most likely got in on the pre-order last week and already had the phone by this morning. To base the launch of this phone off of a YouTube video showing the demand in just one option for purchasing the phone is pretty ridiculous.

13. whiteyanderson macrumors 6502

Anyone with a brain pre-ordered or ordered then picked up. Only AT&T customers would actually wait in line for HOURS to fork over money a phone. NOW THAT's a FAIL :D!!!

I'm sure Verizon isn't concerned with all the customers they have. Soon enough there'll be LTE and voice/data and both carriers will have the same version iPhone. And then you AT&T moon-lickers will have to scramble for something else to try to one up other carriers with. In the meantime, I'm sure VZW will sell plenty of iPhones.

14. Eric374 macrumors 6502

Eric374

I had to go to my local Verizon store the other day for the first time in months and had to do that stupid sign in process. I complained to the manager and I called Verizon and complained to them. I've never heard of such a stupid idea in a town this size. (Wichita). There's 4 Verizon stores here in town and they're never that busy. The worst part is that when I got done signing in, there was an 80 year old man just wanting to ask a question about his bill trying to sign in and having trouble, so I helped him. What a joke!

15. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

16. Remmnever macrumors member

Not a fail. They just actually planned the release in an organized manner. Hundreds of thousands of people purchased their phones last week. Then people also made reservations to pick up or have their phones delivered this week.

Just because people weren't stupid enough to stand in a line doesn't mean the phone didn't sell.

17. gta50419, Feb 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011

gta50419 macrumors 6502

most people who already wanted it got theirs for att months ago.
    i never understood why people were excited for the verizon on when it's exactly the same phone.
    but this vid is pretty sad, i was expecting at least 15 people.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

From what I've been gathering, the launch was much less then what VZW had hoped for. While some folks try to justify the lack of lines and sales with the pre-order/online order process. I think its evident that this cannot account for the lack of lines.

Current customers were clamoring for the iPhone, new customers - not so much.

Why should a current AT&T iPhone 4 customer break is contract, pay the ETF, spend another 199 (or more) for an iPhone 4 and the associated fees just to get what he already had.

what's more likely is that there will be a battle for the customers who's contracts start expiring on ATT, and the impending release of the iPhone 5.

I'm a current VZW customer, but there's no way I was willing to lock myself into a 2 year contract on a phone that will be superseded in 3-4 months.

19. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Also, if you're locked into a 2 year contract on an Android phone on Verizon, the same logic applies.

20. shadrap macrumors 6502

Camping overnight is for tweens. Which AT&T and Apple, seem to have a lot of.

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yep, and VZW's decision not to bump up the upgrade date. I guess I can't knock them. They're in a win win situation. It makes little sense to change the upgrade date, for current customers.

22. ssbearsfan macrumors member

1. +500,000 people ordered online and were already using their iphones
    2. Not everyone was available for an early upgrade
    3. People refuse to pay ETF and will switch when their contract is up
    4. It was deadly cold out in most places of the US
    5. People are waiting for the "iphone 5" that may be released this summer
    6. Only over time will we see how successful or not the verizon iphone is

23. EvilEvil macrumors 6502a

EvilEvil

My contract isn't up until August but I was allowed to upgrade early :cool:

24. rockinred macrumors member

VZW customer base is way way bigger than ATT. The iPhone in this network is going to be huge over time. much, much bigger. Also something everyone is forgetting to mention is, ATT really only had the iPhone to offer as a smart phone to the customers. Hence the reason to stand in line. Apple has kept them alive, not vice versa. Many VZW customers were brainwashed into believing the droid was better or the same because they couldn't get the iPhone for many years. Believe me, over time, the vzw move for appple is going to pay off big time for Apple.

There is no doubt that Apple knows this was a good move over time. Now here going forward, ATT is in trouble and they know it. They no longer have a reason to sucker people into their network. Now they have to compete in a fair game. So all the vzw is a failure is just a smoke screen. ATT is ******** right now, this whole thing with VZW is a game changer in the cell phone world and really the only one who has anything to lose is ATT.

After saying all that... does any of the original launch or customer standing in line really matter? No!

25. jtgamer macrumors member

Well, at work only 3 people came by to buy their iPhone. It was a waste of 3 extra hours and plus, by 10am, only about 6 VZW iPhones went out of the door, 2 which i know will end up on craigslist for my area. People were smart this year by doing pre-orders online instead of wasting time waiting outside in the cold or in their car. I am just surprised that it was worst launch since the at&t iphone 4 launch.