Verizon iPhone simultaneous voice and data

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Frecky04, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Frecky04 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

I know that several people will say "this is simply impossible." but I am just saying what happened. I understand that verizon's network runs on CDMA network, and that voice and data run on two separate lines. I have a verizon iPhone 4 which is jailbroken and have My3G and unrestrictor installed. This morning I was driving down the road with my Bluetooth headset on and driving out of my driveway while on wifi and FaceTime talking to a friend. I was driving down the road (knowing anytime my wifi would disconnect and loose the call) but this morning it was different. I was on the phone and on FaceTime at the same time, but I was 5 miles from my house (impossible for wifi to reach) and voice and data at the same time. While I was on the phone I tried to get online and use maps ... And everything worked fine. I saw in the upper left hand corner that said I was on 3G. But since then I was unable to reoccur this action. I don't know what I did differently this morning than anyother morning. I'm jus saying that YES there is a way to do voice and data at the same time, I'm just not 100% sure how I did it. Any ideas?

2. kre62 macrumors 68000

FaceTime uses data only. So you were doing data and data at the same time.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Bam.
    Mystery solved:D

4. Frecky04 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Correct FaceTime uses data, but also uses the phone service as well. You cannot be on FaceTime on 3G with verizon under normal conditions (not bein jailbroken)

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

False.
    No phone service.
    It uses data only for both the video and audio chat.

6. Frecky04 thread starter macrumors newbie

So you should be able to use "MY3G" to use FaceTime over 3G network ... Is this correct?

7. kre62 macrumors 68000

Thats only because the carriers dont want it taking up too much bandwidth. And it's also why if you use 3G unrestrictor, and fool the phone into thinking its on WIFI, the phone will allow a connection to take place.

But, as mentioned, its data only.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep.

9. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

Yup all the above is true.

I use it all the time w/ 3G Unrestrictor so my kid can say hi before she goes to bed via the Facetime app on my Macbook (me having a Verizon iPhone).

It uses data only, but since it's a constant stream they don't allow it via 3G. Hence why 3G Unrestrictor works by tricking it.

10. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Ipods and non 3g ipads do facetime as well if im not mistaken, no cell voice on those...

11. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

It's also a great way to make free phone calls while abroad. Just find wifi and call your friends / family for free.....

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Im glad you didnt ask if theres a hack that allows voice and data on the Verizon iphone:D

13. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

There is??!! OMFGBBQ :D

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol:D
    Or the other one asking how to get free Internet everywhere without having a data plan or connecting to wifi.

15. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Theres an app for that. :cool:

16. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

I opened this thread assuming that someone was going to be asking that. I'm glad that it was just someone not understanding how FaceTime works.

17. Asuran macrumors newbie

waste of space post, most people should of already known that facetime uses data even before buying the iphone, it even says it on their site.

18. labman macrumors 604

labman

That's the 1st thing I thought of when I saw the title.

19. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

No... it only uses your phone number as an identifier. No minutes, no voice. Just data.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

An app for everything:D