Verizon iPhone Text Messaging

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JasonR, Feb 10, 2011.

1. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

Just switched from an AT&T iPhone to a Verizon iPhone...and really happy about. One odd thing I've noticed is that I get really long text messages in two texts, and I get them in the reverse order. Is this a Verizon thing?

Not a big deal, just curious. :D

2. iFitz macrumors regular

Yes, I believe it's a verizon thing. Only a limited number of characters allowed per text, so it splits them up into 2 messages. I've seen this with other carriers as well, and most blackberry's are this way.

3. mightygitis macrumors 6502

mightygitis

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Verizon does split messages, but it's been stringing them back together on the phone for me. Perhaps this is because it is two iPhones both on Verizon. Are your lengthy messages coming from another carrier?

4. cardinalryan macrumors 6502

cardinalryan

+1 on this.

Actually, this really bothers me...I've had an iPhone on AT&T since day one of iPhone 1 and I've always loved the way the text app runs. This breaking it up into multiple messages is not something I like.

Does anyone know if this is a setting within the phone, or just a Verizon thing that I have to live with?

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Thats just how CDMA handles text messages. Same issue on Sprint.

6. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

Try having the other person send you the long text as an MMS. You can force an MMS by including a subject line.

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It seems like it's more of an intercarrier thing than a specifically Sprint, Verizon or AT&T thing. The carriers use intermediaries to deliver cross-network text messages, and I have a feeling those gateways aren't configured to deal with concatenating long SMS messages in each unique way that each carrier handles that situation.

I get long messages as one single message all the time when it's from an AT&T users, but long-winded Verizon iPhone users always get their texts split up. Same is true for people on Sprint sending me long messages.

The MMS trick should work, but not everyone will remember or want to do that.

8. Pomeless macrumors regular

I've only seen this happen with texts from one of my friends who is an AT&T iPhone user while I'm with Verizon. Not quite sure what my texts look like to her though.

The other thing that I experience with that same friend is that she will send out a text to multiple people including me. When I reply to that text it goes out to everyone that she originally sent the text to causing mass confusion.

9. Sonic04GT macrumors regular

Yeah if they're both on Verizon I don't believe they split the messages up.

10. super tomtendo macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

Actually, I only get split messages when someone from ATT sends me a long message. My verizon to verizon doesn't have that problem.

11. pyro008 macrumors 6502

I've gotten the 2nd message before the first before...very confusing. It only ever happened from a guy on Verizon.