Verizon iphone this year?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bruinsrme, Jun 22, 2009.

1. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

I am going to through this out and see what the opinions are.

I had lunch with a friend today. he works in a municipality that AT&T wireless that has no bars in no places. We discussed the iphone and said he was getting one to try out to see if it would work for his workforce. The thing is he is on Verizon. He told me that in September/October time frame the cdma version of the iphone will be readily available on the verizon network.
    Found it very interesting what do you think?

2. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I think your friend has no idea what he's talking about.

3. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

If you have no bars in no places doesnt that me you have bar everywhere?:p

4. Switz213 macrumors 6502

Yeah. I believe Apple is going to risk going to Court with ATT over their contract. LMAO
    ATT has exclusivity in the USA until mid 2010. Good luck with that. And like your friend who is an ATT rep would know.

5. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

gotta love these stories:
    A friend of a friend who is cousins of Steve Jobs babysitter told me...

6. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

I just had lunch with a friend who suggested that this thread will probably be wastelanded sometime today. Your thoughts?

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

8. Woz Beard macrumors regular

Woz Beard

I just had dinner with a friend and he told me that your friend is wrong.

9. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

I was having lunch with my friend and he said, "The iPhone is only on At&t and it will probably be so until at least next year." Thing is, he ordered a roast beef sandwich. What do you think?

10. cwwilson macrumors 65816

cwwilson

The day that smug punk in the glasses whips out an iPhone is the day the iPhone dies.

lol but it's not like AT&T has been on top of their game lately (cough MMS cough tethering).

11. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

I have no friends so i told myself that this is BS, what did everyone else's friends tell them?

12. ThomasW91 macrumors newbie

Wasn't it a month or so ago where all the rumors came out about Apple/Verizon talks? What it said was pretty logical, mid/late 2010 AT&T's contract will be running out, and Verizon will be trying to make the switch over to 4G. (Hopefully GSM??).

I'm still trying to understand how AT&T paid enough to get the exclusive, because Apple could have made an even bigger fortune on Verizon. Pretty much seems like if you don't have an iPhone, you use Verizon.

13. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

Haha, I was going to say the same thing.

I'm guessing he means "No bars in more places" lmao

14. Switz213 macrumors 6502

Dinner>Lunch
    lmao

15. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

16. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

I had lunch with a friend that said your friend is an idiot.

17. Torq macrumors regular

I will believe it when I see the FCC submission for a CDMA version on Verizon.

Personally I do not see it happening before LTE is available, but the AT&T contract is also in the way at the moment.

If it happens I will smile quietly in anticipation of the inevitable flood of complaints about Verizon's data network as they rapidly add several million bandwidth-hungry devices to it (I have never been impressed with it even when I was using WinMo devices on it).

And will no doubt cackle sadistically when Verizon's tethering charges wind up being the same as AT&T.

But mostly I will just rub my hands together at the thought of all those additional App-store customers.

18. hellrider macrumors regular

Why would Apple make a CDMA phone that works only in N. America and then have a different GSM for the rest of the world. Unless Verizon switched to GSM, which would be a huge and costly undertaking.

19. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Does your friend have Buddy Holly glasses and say, "Can You Hear Me Now" a lot?

20. aneftp macrumors 601

Think Think Think guys/gals

Apple is all about profit margins. They lead the computer industry in profit margins per product.

Why would Apple go through the trouble of making 2 different kinds of phones (One GSM and one CMDA). It's much easier making one product. They would have to buy another set of supplies (another CDMA chip) pay for that chipset and than have a different set of workers in the factory making a separate device. It doesn't make business sense.

GSM controls maybe over 80% of the world's cell phone chips. Yeah, I know CMDA exists in some parts of S American, some parts of Asia. But CDMA mainly is a United States thing.

And Verizon is moving to LTE (which is backwards compatible with GSM/UMTS). But Verizon doesn't have a GSM backbone, so it's going to use LTS (4g) techonology just for data and continue using CDMA for voice for at least until 2014.

So there's no way Apple even starts to consider Verizon until 2011 at the very earliest (Sure they will use it as a bargaining chip against ATT when contract renews new year).

And I'm not Verizon's data network would get slammed if it had 7 million iphone customers connecting at the same time. Face it, the United States cell phone technology is at least 5 years behind Europe/Asia's. No United States carrier can handle the data the Apple iPhone demands.

And no, the iphone 3g (or s) does not cost $99/199/299. The full price Apple charges ATT is really $500-700 for these phones and ATT subsidizes the cost in exchange for a 2 year contract.

21. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

It will not come to Verizon!

Read those lines 3 times more, then read it 8 more times. It is a GSM Phone, until VZW gets its LTE network up and running...

22. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Your friend should watch closely what he says. Also, your friends is not Apple, hence, his story is 100% fake.

23. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I just had lunch with a friend who says your friend has no idea what he's talking about. Even if Apple were to release an iPhone on the Verizon network, it wouldn't be released until summer '10.