Verizon iPhone vs AT&T iPhone hands on by Wired

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by destroyboredom, Feb 2, 2011.

1. destroyboredom, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2011

destroyboredom macrumors 6502

Just came across this article from wired. Anyone who is considering jumping ship to Verizon should take a look. What was surprising to me was the video streaming photo comparison. The quality difference between them is quite surprising due to Verizon's network being slower. The article really just confirms what we already know, but to see the screen shots is pretty telling.

http://www.wired.com/reviews/2011/02/verizon-iphone/

2. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

Verizon is faster in St. Louis. I live in St. Louis. Therefore, for me, Verizon is a no brainer.

3. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

Wow some big negatives on Verizon vs ATT;
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/02/v...iphone-review/

Firstly, you can't do 3G data and voice at the same time, but with AT&T you can. When using data on 3G, calls take precedent, but if you're in Verizon's 2G territory and using data, your call will go to voicemail. Another thing to consider is how Verizon's network handles multiple calls. You can add up to two people to a call, but after that, everyone gets shot to voicemail, unlike the AT&T phone, where the numbers go way beyond that.

Let's put this as simply as we can: data rates on the Verizon iPhone 4 we tested were dramatically slower than those on its AT&T counterpart. How much slower? Well, even though network speeds fluctuate based on many factors, we didn't see the Verizon device peak much beyond 1.4 Mbps on downloads (and even that high was rare), and it barely hit 0.5 Mbps on upstream. On the other hand, the AT&T device regularly pulled down above 3 Mbps, and 1 Mbps or more going up.

A bigger issue may be that while using the Personal Hotspot feature, your calls will kill your connection. That means that if you're loading a page on your computer tethered to your phone and you get a call, the page stops loading and doesn't resume until the call stops ringing, or you hang up. It's a bit jarring. If you're a busy person who is going to rely on this feature for connectivity and rely on the iPhone for important calls, this could be a serious issue.

4. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Makes me wonder if Verizon is going to be able to keep up with all the data usage.

5. caranddriver macrumors regular

Not much of a surprise. When a connection is great, ATT is super fast, but when it is bad (a lot of places), it might as well be a glass brick. Verizon may not be the fastest, but you're going to get a usable signal a lot more of the time.

6. destroyboredom thread starter macrumors 6502

Same. Also all these dropped call comparisons aren't really fair comparisons since Verizon doesn't have as many smart phone users on their network as AT&T does. Let's see how Verizon's San Fran area coverage is once iPhone users begin to stress the network.

7. shadrap macrumors 6502

The turtle and the hare.

Slow and steady wins the race. I will take Verizon.

8. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

Uh, no. Verizon already carries more data than AT&T.

Try again.

9. Olivia23 macrumors 6502a

Olivia23

fail!

10. zenio macrumors 6502

False. Absolutely not true.

I travel all over the USA, especially in large metro areas. I carry two phones. One on Verizon & one on AT&T. They each have strong coverage in certain areas & weak in others.

That's why there's no such thing as one superior carrier. Prior to their success with Android and now the iPhone, Verizons selection of phones was so bad they had to create an advertising slogan about having the best network.

In my personal experience, these two carriers are quite equal.

11. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't say att has a lot of "bad places". I have traveled all along the east coast, and I would say that I gave a great 3G signal in and around most cities. The only times I really drop back down to edge is when I'm on a long highway away from a city.

12. kaielement macrumors 65816

I don't know why people get mad about ATT I have been on them forever with no problems..... I don't have any problems with call quality or drop calls.... Not to say that Verizon is bad. Hears what I think will happen people who are on Verizon who want an iphone will get one and those an ATT will stay... The only thing I would like to see is what happens to Verizon's network.... I mean ATT doesn't have an unlimited data plan because their network couldn't handle all the traffic... But to me thats not to bad seeing as in any given month i never use more than a few 1000 mb per month......

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

An article written by someone up in San Francisco! How unbiased that is! Why not an article testing 20 different markets like PC World does? No, that will show Verizon's fails.....

14. taeeumin macrumors newbie

AT&T vs verizon and the winner is....

The person with AT&T unlimited data iPad with verizon iPhone w/o data plan.

15. whiteyanderson macrumors 6502

It's more in retaliation to the insults from AT&T users really. AT&T users for some mind boggling reason hate the thought of the phone being on another carrier. It's like somebody stole their Big Wheel.

If a certain carrier works best for YOU then use that carrier. What's the issue? AT&T or Verizon doesn't matter, they don't care a bit about us- the customers. They're just laughing all the way to mutlimillion dollar retirement funds. Why should people care about them so much and defend them?

People who constantly go out of their way to insult a frigging wireless provider really need to get some therapy.

16. mpossoff macrumors 68020

I'm only concerned if I can get 3G coverage in my area which is Philly.

Can't remember when I had a dropped call.

However the difference with my Verizon counterparts is 3G access and speed. I did speed tests with Verizon Droid X friends and hands down AT&T wiped Verizon out by a significant amount.

I can post screenshot of Verizon Droid X speed and AT&T iPhone 4 fastest speed.

Even my Verizon friends admitted it's a noticeable difference.

17. RebeccaL macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

18. ReallyBigFeet, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2011

ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

So much of this is going to depend on where you live.

Here in Chicago, ANY three-way calling I try via my AT&T iPhone 4 results in "Call Failed" situation within 10 minutes of initiating the call. Without exception. No matter where I am in the Chicagoland area.

Most calls of longer than 30 minutes result in Call Fail situations if I'm moving between towers, such as participating on a conference call while I'm driving. Without exception. No matter where I am in the Chicagoland area. If I first turn off 3G and stay on EDGE, I can usually complete a 30 minute call without a call drop.

This has been the case for both my iPhone 2G and 3G prior to my 4.

Anyone reading any of these reviews as being empirical needs to consider where you live and where the reviewer lives before considering them "proof" of anything.

For me, I can't wait to dump AT&T and finally have a phone that works as a phone when I need it.

The age-respective metaphor of the Big Wheel is totally appropriate.

I travel all of the Continental US as well and have been carrying both AT&T and Verizon wireless devices for years now. In major metro areas, I'd have to agree that both carriers are roughly equal for coverage. But for call quality, unless you've got a full signal on AT&T, it suffers far more than weak signal coverage areas for Verizon. And outside of major metro areas, Verizon is almost always going to deliver vastly superior call quality. There are entire states across the Midwestern plains where I can't get ANY AT&T signal at ALL, but Verizon will work just fine, even with only a single bar (like the middle of Nebraska or South Dakota).

If you never venture outside of major metro areas, these arguments are relatively moot. Either carrier will work just fine. But even here in Chicago, I drop calls with my AT&T iPhone almost every day. I don't think I've once had a dropped call with Verizon on any device going back for at least 10 years now.