Verizon Launches Third 'Unlimited' Plan With 75GB of LTE Data

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 14, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Verizon today announced the launch of a third "Unlimited" data plan option, which provides users with 75GB of LTE data, 20GB of LTE hotspot access, 720p video streaming, 5 TravelPass sessions per month, and 500GB of Verizon Cloud storage.

The new "Above Unlimited" plan joins Verizon's two other "Unlimited" plans, Go Unlimited and Beyond Unlimited. While Verizon calls these plans unlimited, all three have data caps on the amount of LTE data that users can access per month before having their speeds downgraded or limitations on video quality.

The existing Go Unlimited plan, Verizon's cheapest option, provides users with unlimited LTE data, but it restricts streaming video to 480p and limits mobile hotspot speeds to 600Kb/s.

The current Beyond Unlimited plan provides users with 22GB of LTE data per month, with access to 720p video streaming and 15GB of hotspot data.

Neither of the two current plans include TravelPass access or extra cloud storage. Verizon's TravelPass is designed to let customers use their domestic talk, next, and data allowances while traveling outside of the United States for $5 to $10 per day, with Above Unlimited offering five free days.

Verizon's new Above Unlimited plan is priced at $95 for one line, compared to $85 for Beyond Unlimited and $75 for Go Unlimited. For a family of four, pricing for Above Unlimited is at $60 per line. The new plan option will be available for Verizon customers and those new to Verizon starting on June 18.

[​IMG]

Unlimited data plans from carriers like AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon have become increasingly complicated in the year and a half since carriers readopted unlimited data options. All three carriers now offer different unlimited tiers with various add-ons and restrictions, making unlimited cellular data plans as difficult to decipher as prior non-unlimited plans.

In the United States, carriers began seriously embracing affordable "unlimited" data plans starting in 2015, when T-Mobile introduced its simple T-Mobile ONE plan with unlimited talk, text, and 4G data for $70 per month. Verizon followed in February of 2017 with its first unlimited plan, as did AT&T.

Prior to 2015 and T-Mobile's intervention, carriers primarily relied on limited data plans that provided 2-10GB of data to customers after largely eliminating unlimited data plans in the years following the launch LTE networks.

Article Link: Verizon Launches Third 'Unlimited' Plan With 75GB of LTE Data

2. BaccaBossMC macrumors regular

BaccaBossMC

So 'Unlimited' is now a meaningless moniker that can be used as we wish? Cool, my wallet has Unlimited Money. My iPad has Unlimited Storage. My iPhone has Unlimited Battery.

3. KPandian1 macrumors 6502a

I am tired of the abuse of the word "unlimited". How stupid do these companies think their customers are?

4. super tomtendo macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

I use GoUnlimited. Perfectly OK with it. I don't need to stream movies on my 5 inch or whatever X screen.

That said, I don't understand why everyone is using the word unlimited when it's not? Sure, it's unlimited.. BUT.. they throttle you eventually.

5. Acidsplat macrumors regular

Stop calling limited "Unlimited".
    Why is this allowed?

6. codewrangler macrumors member

codewrangler

Hmm...in my dictionary, 'unlimited' is listed as 'without limit'...so, how can you have an 'unlimited' plan that 'limits' your data???...just bad marketing, right there....

7. gnipgnop macrumors 65816

Multiple versions of something called 'Unlimited' is obviously intended to be confusing.

8. Chris Grande macrumors regular

Chris Grande

Someone buy these Verizon fools a dictionary please.

9. Speechless, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018

Speechless macrumors 6502a

Can't wait for the UltraUnlimited tier of 85GB of data, two 1080p video streams, and 21GB hotspot data to be announced next year.

10. billybobthornton macrumors newbie

billybobthornton

un·lim·it·ed
    adjective
    1. not limited or restricted in terms of number, quantity, or extent.

11. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

The current unlimited plans are actually unlimited, while this new offering of unlimited, appears to be capped at 75GB, unless I read the article incorrectly. Think I will stick with the current unlimited that I have with Verizon.

Edited to add: After perusing Verizon's site closer, a new plan user may see temporarily slower speeds at times after reaching 75GB.

12. LessO2 macrumors regular

This crap is why an unlimited amount of distrust from consumers exist.

13. Mikey44 macrumors member

Mikey44

Words used to describe things matter.

Just sayin...

14. ctg7w6 macrumors 6502

Unlimited has a definition. But, I suppose we shouldn’t limit things to the binary of limited and unlimited. Unlimited is a spectrum.

/s

15. Dyspareunia macrumors regular

I’ll wait for the “Go Above & Beyond The Call (pun intended) of Duty” Unlimited Plan

16. Jefe's MacAir, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  17. ghostface147 macrumors 68020

ghostface147

I don't know if Verizon has ever throttled me. I use between 40-60 gigs a month. This month with the World Cup starting, I'll easily push 100. My billing cycle started on the 10th and I'm already at 14 gigs.

18. 0007776 Suspended

Unless I'm reading it wrong they don't shut you off after you go over the 75GB, they just drop you down to 3G speeds which are still fine for most everything. So you still get unlimited data.

19. Smith288 macrumors 65816

Smith288

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." — Inigo Montoya

20. fanbrain macrumors 6502

fanbrain

Throttling is still limiting.

21. subjonas macrumors 65816

So you mean limited amount of distrust?
    See? Carriers are confusing me.

22. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

What is "Premium unlimited"? Is this Net Neutrality language at it's finest...?!

23. Exile714 macrumors 6502a

Infinity... plus one.

Next: Infinity times infinity (100gb, 480p streaming only, 25gb for tethering)

Edit: Or you could just live and work by uncongested towers. They can’t slow you down unless there’s congestion, so no matter what plan you’re on they won’t drop you to 3g.

24. Dethklok macrumors member

It's freaking hilarious that there's 3 tiers of unlimited plans. If you have need more than one "unlimited" plan, it's not unlimited.