Verizon Lowers Wireless Plan Prices, Pressuring AT&T

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by rdowns, Jan 15, 2010.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

This is great news. :D

Link

2. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

This is the only thing I don't want to happen. I use a lot of bandwidth just because I am on it a lot. Not because I receive and or download a lot of files. Mainly sites. I hope this doesn't effect me to much or the limits are set pretty high.

I do hope AT&T follows and lowers their prices also! That would be a good thing.

3. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Not low enough yet. I want to see them lower the cost of data down. Like to 40 a month to unlimited family smart phone data would be great.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

So people want lower prices and unlimited bandwidth? I see the need to have a tiered approach. Heavy users should pay more then light users. Its not an infinite resource

5. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I never said they shouldn't (just stating for the record) :) , I just hope they don't screw the pooch so to say and make the limits so low that it becomes rediculas to use the data attached to the phone.

6. lefooey macrumors member

Maybe I'm misreading the new pricing, but it more looks like a "shift" rather than a discount.

They've lowered the price of their unlimited plan by $10, but then added a mandatory $10 charge to significantly more popular handsets.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

That and the higher ETF fees. They aren't loosing money, they are just being smart on where to charge.

That said, even if AT&T follows, AT&T will still have the upper hand due to Rollover from AT&T. It's great to know that if you overuse your minutes, you have last month's unused minutes to save you.

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

My carrier in NZ currently has 500 MB (US$22/month), 2 GB ($37) and 8 GB ($51) tiers. I expect that US prices will be a bit cheaper since you typically don't use as much international bandwidth.

9. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Looks like AT&T responded..... see front page here at MacRumors...

10. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

Still doesn't beat my comfy Sprint plan, $39.99 for 550 anytime minutes + $6.75 for unlimited data and texting...

Too bad the bastards won't let me upgrade to a decent phone and keep my contract.