Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

180944-verizon.png

Verizon is expected to introduce the long-rumored Verizon iPhone at their press conference today which takes place at 11am Eastern in New York City. The rumors have been particularly frequent over the past few days with some small details being leaked in the run up to the announcement.

AT&T is predicted to be the biggest loser coming out of the event. Analysts believe that AT&T could lose millions of customers to Verizon during 2011. Losses will be tempered by the 2 year contracts that most iPhone 4 users signed in mid-2010. AT&T claims to be preparing for a fight with plans to run new ads to emphasize their network's benefits.

One frequently cited advantage of AT&T's network over Verizon's is the ability to connect both Voice and Data simultaneously. Apple and AT&T even highlighted this feature in several television ads in 2010. While there had been rumors that such a feature might be deployed on Verizon's network as well, there's been no indication that it will be ready in time for today's launch.

The significance of a Verizon-compatible iPhone is that for the first time in the U.S. there will be multiple carriers offering the iPhone to customers. The move may also threaten Android's growth in the U.S. with one analyst predicting that the iPhone will significantly cannibalize sales of competing models on Verizon's network.

Article Link: Verizon Media Event Today, iPhone Expected

skowalski

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2009
oh, the anticipation

it feels like christmas eve. except i've been waiting more than 364 days...

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
I wish T-Mobile would at least get the 3GS. I rather have that than an iP4.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I wonder if Verizon offers unlimited data, ATT will revert back and add it as an option

I doubt it, they only work together on price when it hurts the consumer. My guess is Verizon offers unlimited data for a few months to get people to switch back and then changes their plans to match ATT.

Maverick1337

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2008
I can't wait to see all the people who shouted at the top of their lungs that Verizon will "NEVER EVER UNDERSCORE BOLD MANY EXCLAMATION POINTS FOLLOWING CONFIRMED" get the iPhone finally put their ignorance aside and shut up.

digitard

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2004
Gilbert, AZ
Fingers crossed.

I've been wanting an iPhone for quite a while as ios has grown on me. I just refused to go to ATT as their voice coverage is too spotty around me. So here's to 8hrs and change left to wait.

caliguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2005
Obviously, this makes for much needed competition. Let's hope AT&T brings their costs down - or give us unlimited data back. If no unlimited, at least throw in the tethering that we're essentially already paying for.

I wonder if Verizon will/can offer FaceTime over 3G?

Last note: AT&T's simultaneous voice and data "feature" is something I very rarely find myself in need of.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
AT&T seems mad. . . and preparing for tomorrow. Lol

http://twitter.com/ATT

Am I the only one staying with AT&T?
People leaving the network might help us that's staying.

I'm staying for now...I actually switched from Verizon when the iPhone first came out. I would consider moving back, but God knows how long I have left on my contract considering I've been upgrading every year to get the new phone.

Also, AT&T has pretty decent service here in Houston. It would be a sure thing if service was crappy. But I haven't run into too many problems.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
AT&T seems mad. . . and preparing for tomorrow. Lol

http://twitter.com/ATT

Am I the only one staying with AT&T?
People leaving the network might help us that's staying.

I'm staying with AT&T.

Happy with the service and I get a national volume discount with my employer.

If iPad 2, however, is offered with Verizon service built-in AND they offer an unlimited plan, I would consider going over to Verizon ONLY for the iPad. The AT&T 2GB plan is not enough for me...and I didn't get in on the AT&T unlimited iPad plan.

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
Honestly I don't see ATT as the biggest loser, but rather I think Google will be the biggest loser in the long run. The link posted to Appleinsider shows the graph of Android sales plummeting at Verizon ever since the iPhone 4 launched on ATT, can you imagine what will happen to those numbers once its actually on Verizon?

I'm convinced that Droid sales will plummet fast. EVERY single person that I know who has a Droid only bought one because they didn't have the iPhone, and they all constantly ask me when the iPhone will be available. I think thats pretty representative of the majority of Droid owners (aside from the few vocal minority on tech blogs who hate Apple). And Verizon was the single thing that got Android any traction in the market. Once thats done, I don't imagine we'll be hearing Andy Rubin tout how many more devices their activating than the iPhone, because I don't think they'll be winning anymore. One model iPhone versus the army of Android phones, and they still won't win.

Just proves that product and quality matters. The consumer tech market has matured enough to the point that if a product is head and shoulders above the competition in quality and experience, most people are going to flock to it despite obstacles. When the Mac vs PC wars started, this wasn't the case because the market was very premature, and consumers chose the cheapest option not the best option.

Slim02

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2008
I doubt it, they only work together on price when it hurts the consumer. My guess is Verizon offers unlimited data for a few months to get people to switch back and then changes their plans to match ATT.

Really? Because Verizon been having unlimited date for smart phones for years.. Just because they get the iPhone that will not change....

The voice and data feature of ATT's network is what will (potentially) keep me on their network. ATT contract ended two weeks ago.

Why and who really uses both Voice and data at the same time?.. I have never use it and I see it as being rude if you are checking your email or looking at some thing that has nothing to do with the person you are talking to..

Duardo

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

In my area we don't have Verizon. We also don't have AT&T 3G either. We're supposed to get 3G sometime this quarter, but Sprint is already rolling out their 4G.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Why and who really uses both Voice and data at the same time?.. I have never use it and I see it as being rude if you are checking your email or looking at some thing that has nothing to do with the person you are talking to..

I do quite often

Talking for someone and need to look up a number for them, address, relay what an email said,etc

Happens quite a bit for me and nice to have that ability when needed

Just because you don't use it doesn't mean it's representative to all users

As the person you quoted talked of his experiences and what is important to him in a network, who are you to question him on what his habits should be?

Just saying lol...

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
Honestly I don't see ATT as the biggest loser, but rather I think Google will be the biggest loser in the long run. The link posted to Appleinsider shows the graph of Android sales plummeting at Verizon ever since the iPhone 4 launched on ATT, can you imagine what will happen to those numbers once its actually on Verizon?

I'm convinced that Droid sales will plummet fast. EVERY single person that I know who has a Droid only bought one because they didn't have the iPhone, and they all constantly ask me when the iPhone will be available. I think thats pretty representative of the majority of Droid owners (aside from the few vocal minority on tech blogs who hate Apple). And Verizon was the single thing that got Android any traction in the market. Once thats done, I don't imagine we'll be hearing Andy Rubin tout how many more devices their activating than the iPhone, because I don't think they'll be winning anymore. One model iPhone versus the army of Android phones, and they still won't win.

Just proves that product and quality matters. The consumer tech market has matured enough to the point that if a product is head and shoulders above the competition in quality and experience, most people are going to flock to it despite obstacles. When the Mac vs PC wars started, this wasn't the case because the market was very premature, and consumers chose the cheapest option not the best option.

Exactly...One of my coworkers kept trying to show off his Verizon Android to me recently. He kept saying , ""It's just like the iPhone."

I soon grew tired of his sticking the damn phone in my face, telling me how it is "like an iPhone," so I finally told him, "Yeah...but it's NOT an iPhone."

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind

I actually use it a lot, not to be rude but to actually give information to the person I am talking to...to look up something in an e-mail (if I'm on the phone because of a work related thing), or to find the address or phone number of a restaurant.

Would it prevent me from switching to Verizon because they don't offer it? No; but it sure comes in handy sometimes.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
I actually use it a lot, not to be rude but to actually give information to the person I am talking to...to look up something in an e-mail (if I'm on the phone because of a work related thing), or to find the address or phone number of a restaurant.

Would it prevent me from switching to Verizon because they don't offer it? No; but it sure comes in handy sometimes.

I do the same all the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.