Carrier Verizon Monthly vs. Apple iPhone Upgrade Program

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Geckotek, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Similar to the AT&T thread, I'd like to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of the three options I'm considering.

1) Verizon Monthly Program
    2) Verizon 2-Year Contract
    3) Apple Upgrade Program

After doing some calculations on a spreadsheet, assuming I would buy AppleCare+ (this is up for debate), the iPhone Upgrade Program would save me some money over both of the Verizon options. (I can post the math if anyone cares to see and correct).

I'm still new to all of this monthly payment of equipment, so looking for any gotchas I may not be aware of and just general debate between what people find preferential.

2. ysvsr1 macrumors newbie

I am new to Apple upgrade program. I want to switch to verizon using AUP. Please clarify below questions.
    1. Can i buy 3 iphones using apple ugrade program in the same transaction?
    2. Do those phones ship directly to my home or do i need to goto store?
    3. Can i switch carriers if i find better offer in next 12 months?
    4. After 12 months, when i want to get new phone using AUP, do we get money when we trade in existing phone? Or do we loose 12 months payment? Aafter 24 months, phone will be ours and we will get trade in value.
    5. If Verizon offers any promotion like switching to their network or new data plans, can I get benefit from them?

3. nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

I have an iPhone 6S and am on Verizon's monthly payments. I plan to trade my phone in each year (my first trade in is in Feb.). Since Apple's manufacture warranty is good for 1 year I don't need to purchase Apple Care+ or Verizon insurance. Out of my all my years as an Apple customer I never had to use my Apple Care+. Never had a broken screen or any water damage. All my problems have been with shortage in accessory cords (chargers and headphones). These are replaced without any questions asked within the first year. I did once have a battery issue and that was also replaced without any hassle since it it was within the first year of having the phone. I pay $35.41 for iPhone 6s 128GB. I don't mind upgrading to a new phone every year and I rarely resale phones when I get a new phone anyway. I have a huge "junk drawer" of old phones collecting dust.

4. kuip macrumors newbie

I would love to see your math/spreadsheet as I am also considering these options
    thanks

5. Geckotek thread starter macrumors G3

Geckotek

1. Not sure, I'm looking to do the same. Hopefully someone will answer.
    2. Someone else posted a conversation with Apple....if you are starting new service you will need to go into a store. If you have existing service you can have it shipped directly to you.
    3. Seems that would be the case since you are no longer in contract.
    4. Excellent question. I realized I failed to calculate the amount I recover by selling my devices after the contract.
    5. I don't see why not unless those promos are targeted to new users activating service or signing a contract.

6. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Outright
    749 phone
    129 AppleCare
    931 with tax

Apples 12 month upgrade
    36.58 a month including AppleCare
    438.96 a year

Add a subsidized phone
    25 a month Verizon for line access
    299 for the phone
    129 AppleCare
    1028 total 24 months

This is what I figure for the 7 128gb

7. OCDMacGeek macrumors 6502a

OCDMacGeek

You shouldn't add the $25 month line access for the comparison, that would be the same under the Apple program also.

8. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

No it wouldn't for me I am on a $40 a month access for each subsidizes phone without the subsidized phone Verizon charges me $15 so a savings of $25 a month to be off contract with my plan.

9. nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

Line access fee for Verizon is only $20. Also, why add AppleCare+? This is optional and really shouldn't be used for comparison since you get a new phone after 1 year and your manufacture warranty resets. It's really a waist of money (in my opinion) unless your known for water damage and cracked screens.

10. brianric macrumors regular

I use to feel that way about Apple care until a laundry pod broke in my pocket, filling every open orifice in my iPhone 6. Went with AUP on my 6S Plus.

11. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Everyone has a different line access mine is $15 , AppleCare + is included in the 12 month upgrade plan with Apple. I added it to the others to make an apple to apple comparison

12. Geckotek thread starter macrumors G3

Geckotek

Ah, so this was a promo you received when you called in?
    --- Post Merged, Sep 8, 2016 ---
    This is actually not true. There is some reason yours is cheaper though.

13. dwendz23 macrumors member

I think I'm gonna go with the Verizon monthly. Already on a plan so I don't have to worry about credit checks like I do with the apple upgrade plan. Plus you can upgrade every year

14. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

This has been the plan I have been on for 6 years.

15. Geckotek thread starter macrumors G3

Geckotek

Yes, but you said prior you were paying $40/month and recently had it dropped to $15/month. I suspect you have may have a retention rate of some sort.

16. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

No I am on a plan that allows for a subsidized upgrade and since I don't get a subsidized phone I get a credit. If I was to do a subsidized phone my line access would be $40

17. sammjordan macrumors member

Can you buy an iPhone on the VZW monthly pay plan through the apple store? When I check through the app the only option it gives me is a 2 year contract (or Apple Upgrade)

18. Babu Life macrumors member

Babu Life

How did that laundry pod get in your pocket?

19. Davewithak macrumors regular

Anybody that's out of contract on Verizon should be getting the $25/$20 discount depending on what plan your on. If you're not, you should probably call soon. They've been giving the discount for at least 2 years now.

20. Geckotek, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016

Geckotek thread starter macrumors G3

Geckotek

Most people are on the same plan, including myself and the access fee is $20/mo after the contract ends. Even the Verizon website specifies this. So there is something else going on here. You're plan shows $40/mo - $25...not just straight $20/mo like most of us. That $25 credit is being applied for some reason instead of you just getting the flat $20 charge.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 8, 2016 ---
    It doesn't show up as a credit, it shows up as a lower rate in the first place. I actually posted a screen shot of this earlier in the day.

Edit:

Attached Files:

21. HiItsMe macrumors 6502

You need to add tax to option number two to be an apples to apples comparison and then it would show option one and two are the same total price.

22. Geckotek thread starter macrumors G3

Geckotek

Ok, here is my breakdown. For me this includes the cost of 3 smartphones and 2 tablets. (Ignore the current as it includes 2 smartphones, a dumb phone, and 3 tablets).

I've left off the recovery prices (what I think I may get on CL in the future) on the Apple upgrade program, but I'm assuming I should add it to the last two options?

Edit: Further details so you can see what the calculations are based on..
    Currently have and selling
    16 GB iPhone 6
    64 GB iPhone 6
    Crappy dumb phone

Currently buying
    32 GB iPhone 7
    128 GB iPhone 7
    16 GB iPhone SE (apparently not available for IUP)

Attached Files:

23. nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

Sorry this made me laugh. Why is a laundry pod in your pocket anyway? They should be in a laundry room or in actually being used in the washer. Not in your pocket where your phone is. This (to me) falls under the category of negligence just like those who give their 2 year olds iPhones with a full glass of water.

Sorry if that sound harsh. Didn't mean it to come off that way.

24. kioko91 macrumors regular

kioko91

This person is on a previous plan. You're on the current Verizon Plan. They are on the More Everything Plan (which I'm also on and usually advise people to stick with if possible as it's cheaper overall).

Basically a standard line fee under 2 year contract on the old More Everything Plan is $40. If you are instead paying for your phone monthly rather than on contract you receive a "discount," aka a cut to your line access fee, which is determined based upon your monthly data. If you have below 10gb on your plan it would show on the bill as $40-$15, essentially making your line cost $25. If you have 10gb or more (like he has) it will show as $40-$25, making your monthly line fee $15.

Under the current new Verizon Plans all line fees for smartphones are $20 unless retaining a 2 year contract as a pre-existing customer. At that point you'd be paying a flat $40.

I was a sales representative in a mobile department dealt primarily with Verizon just for point of reference.