Verizon only getting iPhone 4 and not any new iPhones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sdpics, Feb 4, 2011.

1. sdpics macrumors member

Since this is just a RUMOR I thought I would ask if anyone else has heard this RUMOR?

Verizon will only be getting the iPhone 4 and AT&T has once again penned a deal with Apple to have exclusive rights to the 5,6,7,8, and 9.

I can't even say it's a credible source since it was water cooler chat where I heard it from. I was just curious if anyone else heard this or was it just a delusional statement?

2. SeanMcC macrumors regular

Delusional.

And to the electrons that were inconvenienced by the making of this thread, I apologize.

3. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Umm where did you get this leaked info?

Did one of my informants supply you with the know how?

4. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

Definitely a water cooler rumor.

Not true by any means. The next generation iPhone has already been reported to be using a dual GSM/CDMA chipset which means both carriers.

There is no exclusivity to ATT at all anymore. All releases going forward will be hitting both carriers.

5. sdpics thread starter macrumors member

It was from one of those "my friend works at AT&T and he said" type of rumors....hence why "rumor" was in all caps and bold (most people would have got that)...I was just trying to see how crazy that idea was....then it made me laugh because of all those people holding of for the iPhone 5 on Verizon would be pissed.

6. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

I agree. They've been working with verizon since 2008 to release 1 phone and then call it quits? no

7. Rodvette macrumors regular

I call shenanigan on the guy that filled you in on this

If you go back to the press conference where the verizon iphone 4 was announced Tim Cook of Apple said that the deal with verizon would be a MULTI YEAR arrangement they have with them

so that being said, Verizon will be getting iphones in the future, for how long? anybodies gues

8. DoctorK4 macrumors regular

And the chick from T-Mobile? 10 all the way.

9. aviationwiz macrumors regular

I'm with SeanMcC. Anyone who believes that rumor could possibly be true is delusional. It's the most ridiculous "rumor" I've ever seen on here - and that's saying a lot!

I once heard from my friend's friend's dad's friend's, friend that...

10. MarximusMG macrumors 6502a

MarximusMG

11. shelbymayer macrumors regular

Why would apple bother bringing the phone to a different carrier with a different type of network to only release 1 phone?

12. iFitz macrumors regular

I can tell you for a fact (yes, fact) that is not true. What may be plausible is that Verizon may not get the next generations at the same time as AT&T, but they may have different release dates.

13. Rodvette macrumors regular

thats more reasonable to believe

14. Kblakeshot macrumors member

You do realize that people just went nuts over this Verizon iPhone and has set records for most sold (which was done in a two hour window in the wee hours of the morning!). Do you really think they want this to be a one bang go?

C'MON SON!

Like someone said before, this is delusional. Actually waay past it..

15. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

+1

I would totally switch to T-Mobile if she came with the phone.

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Sorry OP, but what you heard was just pure crap.

17. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

And a terrible actress.

18. Pomeless macrumors regular

19. iPhoneCollector, Feb 4, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2011

iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

i heard that apple made a deal with aliens. the aliens are about to kidnap random people and implant a chip into their brains so that they have to sync them selfs via itunes in order to remain sane.

20. WillRuth macrumors newbie

I do have an idea that is something like this. I think AT&T will be getting the next generation before it is released to verizon. It wouldn't make sense for Verizon to release the iPhone now if in a handful of months a new one comes out. Unless they are just a bunch of *******s wanting more money, then it makes perfect sense.

21. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

Been thinking the exact same thing, at least for another year or two, then they might bring them together on the same cycle.

22. iFitz macrumors regular

The reason for separating them out on different cycles is because they couldn't handle the volume of releasing the iPhone to two different carriers on the same day. The systems slow to a crawl or crash with one carrier, imagine two at the same time.

23. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

"Say hello to Sandy Bridge. This is the new MacBook Pro. Now shipping. With OS 8.6"

Okay, just no.
    They aren't going to abandon Verizon like that.

24. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

25. hayesk macrumors 65816

I think it's odd that people think lowly employees have the inside scoop of the plans of the company. When I worked for an Apple reseller, customers would come in all the time asking me when the new models were coming out.