Verizon or AT&T iPad for use in UK

Discussion in 'iPad' started by NMKA, Mar 10, 2012.

1. NMKA macrumors newbie

Which iPAD 3G should I buy - Verizon or AT & T if I am going to use it in UK or does it not matter?

2. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Doesn't matter. 4g won't work there. If you're traveling to the US you may want to check coverage of AT&T vs VZW before you decide.

3. appleextremist macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

AT&T version for the UK as none of the UK networks use CDMA

4. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

AT&T, I don't believe there's a micro-sim slot in the Verizon version, which would be a bit of a problem.

5. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

thats not true. verizon uses sim cards for lte.

you will be fine with either as posters mentioned both versions don't support european lte.

if you plan on traveling to the usa and using lte, i would go with verizon due to their larger footprint. either way, the gsm side is the same on both devices.

6. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Most EU countries operate on GSM, very few, if any, operate CDMA networks. So "either" is not a good answer.

7. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

Why isn't it not good? Go to apple sites and get your info right. All iPads will work in europe as they all have needed 3G gsm bands. Verizon uses CDMA but the iPad isnt CDMA only.

The 4g lte band you get with the AT&T won't work in Europe either so it's a loss loss situation

8. PilotWoo macrumors regular

If you want to use current 3g networks you have to get the AT&T iPad. The Verizon one doesn't work on GSM networks.

9. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

again...so much wrong information given. i suggest people go over to apple's site and first see what the specs are and see what works on what network.

10. Lastof macrumors regular

Sorry, but you are wrong:

From http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/
    It clearly states that BOTH support UMTS, HSPA, HSPA+, DC-HSDPA, GSM and EDGE. The difference is ONLY the LTE and CDMA connectivity.

And from http://www.apple.com/ipad/4g/
    So it doesn't matter which you have. Both will work just as well in Europe (and the rest of the world). They will never be able to use any 4G network here once they eventually are here, but 3G should be fine.

NOTE: This is only true for the 3rd Generation iPad (Which I assume op means by iPad 3G). I believe the 2nd Generation iPad was not this way.

11. PilotWoo macrumors regular

I stand corrected, thanks.