Verizon-Owned Network Visible Begins Selling iPhones, Offers $40/Month Unlimited Data Up to 5 Mbps

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 24, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Verizon-owned network Visible today announced it has started selling iPhones with zero-percent-interest financing in partnership with Affirm.

[​IMG]

The available models include the iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XR, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone SE, with device payments ranging from $10 to $60 per month.

Visible also supports Android devices now, starting with the Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9+. The network previously operated on a bring-your-own-iPhone basis.

Last, the network has launched a new Visible Protect plan with access to AppleCare. Available in select markets, starting at $10 per month, the plan provides protection against accidental damage, loss, theft, and out-of-warranty hardware failure, with the option for same-day service for new iPhone devices.

Verizon quietly launched Visible in May 2018 as a digital, app-based carrier that offers unlimited text, talk, and data with speeds up to 5 Mbps for $40 per month, inclusive of taxes and fees. The mobile virtual network operator relies on Verizon's nationwide 4G LTE network in the United States.

Article Link: Verizon-Owned Network Visible Begins Selling iPhones, Offers $40/Month Unlimited Data Up to 5 Mbps

2. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

3. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

I wouldn't mind unlimited data with restricted bandwidth if it came with a reduced monthly bill. 5 Mbps is plenty for how I use my phone.

4. Dessy514 macrumors newbie

That 5Mbps though. Such a shame for that $40 on an MVNO.

5. IRockThat828pScreen macrumors member

IRockThat828pScreen

I don't trust Verizon, no matter what they rebrand themselves as.

6. Sasparilla macrumors 65816

These lower end brands not to mention lower speed normally have a reduced priority on the wireless tower. I used one of AT&T's lower brands before and in areas where there wasn't congestion it was perfect, but go into the city etc. and you'd get no signal before the full on AT&T customers did.

So keep in mind if you plan on using it in congested areas for Verizon.

7. eicca macrumors 6502

eicca

5megabits? That’s barely useable. I get 17megabits on LTE in Boise and it’s noticeably hitchy.

8. JosephAW macrumors 68020

JosephAW

9. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

5 mbps is dial up by todays standards. Might as well as leave out data entirely.

10. JosephAW macrumors 68020

JosephAW

Right. Even my Cricket iPhone gets 8 Mbps.

11. xpxp2002 macrumors regular

Yeah, Spectrum mobile is a far better deal, if you’re eligible for it. $45/mo unlimited with no bandwidth cap until 20GB.

Or if you can deal with T-Mobile’s network, Mint has far more economical options that let you pay for as much data as you need, then everything after is still unlimited but bandwidth capped.

12. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

Verizon’s unlimited means they will throttle you since it’s not truly unlimited ;-)

13. meaning-matters macrumors 6502

meaning-matters

Would have been nice if background and screen were same color.

14. magicschoolbus macrumors 65816

magicschoolbus

5 MBPS? Might as well use Sprint at those speeds.

15. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502a

Scottsoapbox

You can stream video at 3 mbps. What more do you need?

Sure I have gigabit fiber to my home, but I don't need to download 4K movies to my barely full HD iPhone while I am wandering around town away from wifi. :rolleyes:

16. ImAnAgent Suspended

ImAnAgent

I signed up for Visible last year when they first started service and they never sent me a sim card so I just assumed they didn't want me as a customer.

I've been trying out Xfinity Mobile (Verizon) since Tuesday and am pretty happy. Speeds seem to be inline with what I was getting on Verizon when I tried them during December on a post paid account.

My speedtests ranged from 45Mbps to 135Mbps which was pretty much the same as what I got on the Verizon post paid. I would recommend Xfinity Mobile over Visible any day. Supposedly Xfinity Mobile is supposed to be deprioritized all the time but I have not seen it yet so if this is so, I live in a non congested area.

17. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

Looking at the official website, I see no small print... but the FAQ also doesn't return any results when I search "Throttle". The FAQ does mention all video streams are compressed to 480p.

FAQ also says that if the network is congested or you're far from the tower, you may not get 5 Mbps... but I'd say that's a given, as it'd be physically impossible to not have that happen with current technology.

So... they may really mean unlimited when they say unlimited? You could do 18 Gbph... 432 Gb/day (54 GB/day). Download a whole terrabyte in under 20 days if you've got enough patience.

18. omihek macrumors 6502

omihek

No I think dial-up is still dial-up by today's standards. 5 mbps is not too bad, especially compared to dial-up.

19. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

....up to 5 Mbps....tops out at lol.

20. KrisseFI macrumors newbie

In Finland i get unlimited calls, messages and 4G up to 50Mbs only 26€ per month but phones are more expensive here tough...

21. now i see it macrumors 68030

The loss of zero interest carrier financing pretty much put the brakes on the annual iPhone upgrade frenzy. It also pretty much tanked the iPhone business model (Overindulgent consumerism).

So perhaps they're coming around to the realization that customers preferred to be locked into multi year contracts with low monthly iPhone payments.....

22. Halfsnap macrumors newbie

Halfsnap

Agreed. I have had a similar experience in the past with a Boom Mobile on VZ network. It all worked great and was inexpensive, until you got into a busy network... then it would just be frustrating.

23. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

What are you doing with your phones that you need more than that? Genuinely curious.

You can do HD streams on Netflix with speeds that fast.

Now, if 5Mbps are the peak, and it is usually much lower, then I would agree with this being too slow.

24. markaceto macrumors member

markaceto

I got excited about the 6s+ until I found out they only offer 32gb.

25. evilrobot macrumors newbie

I have the Visible service and it's overall decent. No issues with the 5mbps or any lags or slowdowns. Coverage has been great, just like Verizon. Only challenging part I had was getting my activation to kick in, which based on what I've seen appears kind of common. Customer service is only available through the app or DM through Twitter - and it helps if you kind of know your way around your device. Price is good for the service, but based on the use of only remote customer support, no way would I recommend it to my parents or other less-than-tech aware people.