VERIZON Pay as You Go help, please...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Bossyman, May 2, 2012.

1. Bossyman macrumors member

I bought myself and my son the new iPad on release day. Verizon LTE model. I signed us both up on the iPad, as not to get sucked in to the monthly payment plan, as we are usually close to WiFi. I had a problem with my sons account on April 1, and called Verizon, and they very politely gave me a free 20 GB of data to use for the month.

Of course, what I just found out is that they are now renewing my plan monthly and charging me $30 automatically even though he had 1.5 GB left of data.

I called yesterday and of course the rep was no help at all. I told them to cancel my plan and refund my $30. Now, I can no longer access LTE service.

When I try to reup on the iPad, it only allows for the monthly charges.

Does anyone know how to reset my son's iPad so I can sign up using Pay As You Go service (like my iPad has).

I hate Verizon and their seeming bait and switch tactics. :mad:

2. poloponies macrumors 68030

Given your seeming confusion from this and your related post on another thread, both AT&T and Verizon's plans are for a fixed amount of data within a 30-day period. So if you sign up for the 2GB plan, it will expire at the end of 30 days or when the data is used up (can be 1 day or 30 days, depends on usage). There is no rollover of unused data.

Verizon has 2 tiers of plan, one with overage surcharges (per GB) and one that starts a new month at the expiration of the prior month.

Verizon has rates listed on its web page:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/device/tablet/ipad

You can't access LTE or 3G without a plan, so if you cancelled your plan you shouldn't be surprised that the LTE is inaccessible.

3. Bossyman thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the response. I'm sorry I wasn't clearer.

My iPad LTE Verizon service was activated immediately when I got home day of release. 1GB of data for $20. It is well over 30 days now, and I still have LTE service and have NOT been charged anything since the initial $20 for 1 GB. I still have access to LTE service, as I have not used all of the 1 GB of data.

I believe this is called Pay as You Go, but I'm not sure.

My son's iPad was activated over the phone speaking to a Verizon rep. He is being charged monthly, no matter how much data he uses, or has left at the end of the 30 day cycle.

My original question stands, does anyone know how to reset my son's iPad so it will be on the same billing (pay as you go?) as mine?

I hope that is clearer. LOL...Thanks for any help.

4. poloponies macrumors 68030

If they haven't charged you then it's possibly a billing error, but there's no Verizon or AT&T plan that allows for purchase of a fixed amount of data for an indefinite period. It's all "n"GB or 30 days, whichever comes first.

5. irod87 macrumors regular

The plans are 30 day monthly plans. You decide how many gb's of access you would like for the 30 day period. Sounds like yours was just a billing issue that has now been corrected.

6. rsvrfactory macrumors member

Also, if you cancelled you're previous plan then your Sim card is no good. You will need another one to activate new service. When you cancel a service, it "burns" up that Sim card and it is no longer usable.

7. Bossyman thread starter macrumors member

Not true. I cancelled last night. It was inactive this morning. I then reactivated through iPad and it worked.

It seems that there is so much erronious info out there...

8. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

There are two forms of cancellation. One is essentially to suspend the plan, which you can then resume later on. The other cancels the plan permanently, requiring a new SIM card. Sounds like the son's plan was cancelled permanently, meaning that he will in fact need a new SIM.

9. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

You are confusing everyone here. First by posting the same thing in 2 threads and second by not clarifying WHICH iPad (ATT or VZW) you are referring to. You have an AT&T iPad and your son has a VZW iPad. Both of them work different when canceled as well as HOW they are canceled.

From your post in the other thread you seem to be confused on how the data works.

You need to clarify WHICH IPAD you are referring to, yours on AT&T or your son's on VZW. You can SUSPEND and you can CANCEL. Both carriers work different depending on HOW they are canceled.

If you CANCEL VZW they kill your SIM. If you CANCEL AT&T they do not kill your sim. If you SUSPEND VZW they do not kill the sim. Your son is on POSTPAID VZW. If you cancel that the SIM is D-E-A-D.

10. rsvrfactory macrumors member

Correct.

11. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

The OP is obviously clueless and should probably just return both devices and buy a book.