Verizon says I can use an Iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cocles, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Cocles macrumors newbie

Just called Verizon to ask them a few questions about my account.

At one point I mentioned the iPhone and the lady said, "If you want, you can buy an iPhone and activate it on your Verizon account."

I replied, "Let me get this straight. I go out, buy an iPhone, and you'll let me use it on my Verizon account? I don't need to switch to AT&T?"

She said, "That's correct."

I asked, "What about visual Voice Mail? I heard that only works through AT&T?"

To that she said, "I'm not sure about that one. So far I've only activated one iPhone for someone since we started doing it, and that wasn't mentioned."

Okay so here's my question to you guys. Anyone know the latest details on this? Would all of the iPhone's features still be intact? If this true, then this could be amazing for people who still have some time to go on their Verizon contracts.

Thanks.

2. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

3. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Verizon uses a completely different cell phone technology then what the iphone uses that is NOT compatible.

I think the rep might be confusing the iphone with something else.

4. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

No, you can't activate on Verizon. You should have asked how much it would cost you to get a SIM card from Verizon. CDMA doesn't use SIM cards.

Apparently she really wanted you to buy a phone from AT&T and switch carriers. You ended up with a CSR with an IQ below room temperature.

By the way, this is now the second "Will an iPhone work on Verizon?" thread in less than 90 minutes and the most recent reply to the other thread was 8 minutes before you started this one.

5. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Completely and utterly false. Verizon uses CDMA for it's networks not GSM. There is no version of the iPhone that will work on a CDMA network. So actually none of the features (aside from wifi) will work on Verizon's network.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

wow cell phone company reps are completely clueless.....

7. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

And technically WiFi isn't Verizon's network.

And, the phone would be locked....so you wouldn't be able to use that either (not including jailbreaking).

8. AdamWhite macrumors newbie

Verizon and IPhone in 2009?

Some rumors floating out there that Apple may only have a 2 year exclusive agreement with AT&T...which is due to expire in 2009. If that's the case, Verizon will have already hopefully started testing the 4G LTE network (with 3G GSM Backward compatibility) ... so the iPhone could theoretically work on the future Verizon Network.

ON the other hand, it's also quite possible Apple will create a CDMA version considering there still is quite a market for CDMA throughout the world ...

My bet is that Verizon will start the migration towards 4G LTE and grow into the next model of iphone. http://www.3gIphoneInfo.com

Good day all!

9. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Well the question was if any of the features on the iPhone would work if it was activated on Verizon. Wifi features would still work... but that is all.

10. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Except you can't activate on Verizon's network at all in the first place.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes maybe in 2015, keep waiting though.
    it might happen one day :)

12. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Really? What are the other major CDMA markets?

13. FDX macrumors regular

Verizon Wireles---from cnet.com for what its worth

Verizon may offer a vast network in the United States, but because it's a CDMA carrier, its coverage abroad is much less extensive than that of Cingular or T-Mobile. Using a Verizon CDMA handset, you can roam to China and Taiwan, Guam, Guatemala, Indonesia, Vietnam, Israel, India, New Zealand, Thailand, Mexico, Venezuela, Brazil, Peru, South Korea, and a few Caribbean islands, though a software upgrade may be required for some countries.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3504_7-6253284-5.html

14. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

Canada, Korea, China...

15. Cocles thread starter macrumors newbie

Avalon - I didn't ask about the SIM card, although (on a side note) I did ask if I would need a data plan and she said, "Yes you would. Unlimited data plans are $44.99."

As for posting a similar thread. I did a ctrl+f search, as well as used the forum's own search function for the word "Verizon" and I saw nothing pop up that answered my question. I apologize for upsetting you.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wow $45 a month for data? They charge an arm at verizon

17. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Verizon just introduced a non-business unlimited data plan for $30, but it's taking a few weeks to make it available for all their PDA phones.

18. alansmallen macrumors 6502a

The customer service rep said the exact same thing to me. Also, I went into a Verizon store and the manager said not to switch to AT&T because the iPhone is coming to Verizon in September.

This is when I said "multi-year exclusive contract" and stormed out.

19. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

Who is dumber? The CSR for giving you a bad answer to your question or you for even asking it?

20. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

As if anyone here has actually seen the contract :rolleyes:

The whole "five year" thing started with one USA Today reporter making a guess.

Personally, I still think it's only for two years or less, and is somehow tried to the rushed introduction before July 1st of last year.

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You really think Apple will be switching from carrier to carrier every few years along with changing from gsm to CDMA like that.
    nonsense....

22. alansmallen macrumors 6502a

I didn't ask that. I wanted to know if I could get my early termination fee pro rated. And she asked me why I was leaving. So I told her and she gave me her answer.

23. Cocles thread starter macrumors newbie

You for your remedial reading skills. Neither the above poster nor myself said anything about asking them about the iPhone.

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

some idiot at best buy the other day was trying to tell me that with a software update Apple will make the iPhone compatible with verizons network
    LOL :)

25. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Man it is amazing what comes out of peoples mouths that they just make up. Unless the software has morphing properties that can change GSM to CDMA... then... nope.