Verizon SIM Card in an AT&T iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by osxnewbe, Aug 10, 2012.

1. osxnewbe macrumors regular

I think you can but I wanted to confirm this...

Can you use a Verizon SIM card in the new iPad even though it was purchased from AT&T?

Our Chief Engineer has an iPad2 and is having trouble accessing some of our sites which are pretty bandwidth hungry with his AT&T iPad. I told our IT Department to buy him a iPad on Verizon's network to be able to access some sites based on the issues on AT&T's network. The IT person who placed the order did an end run around me and bought the iPad from AT&T against my recommendations...

I was thinking before we return the iPad to AT&T, I could test this theory by placing an Verizon sim card I have from an hot spot in the iPad to see if it would work. If it does, I want to run a test of these internal sites to make sure it works before the iPad is issued to our Chief Engineer who is not very tech savvy...

My apologies in advance if this thread has been discussed before...

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You want to take a Verizon LTE SIM and put it into a non-LTE AT&T device? Pretty sure that won't work. Even a non-LTE Verizon SIM won't work because it would be for international roaming only and it's actually a Vodafone SIM.

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

No because
    1) verizon CDMA does not use SIM cards, it uses the hardware found on the device (its not there)
    2) although LTE uses the SIM cards, the hardware for Verizon LTE is different from AT&T LTE and therefore wont work

4. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Just to expand a bit on the previous reply: An preactivated AT&T SIM that is provisioned for an iPad works in a VZW iPad (for HSPDA+ only not LTE) but a VZW SIM card won't work in a AT&T iPad for the reasons mentioned above. ;)

5. dchao macrumors 6502a

You have raised an interesting point. In theory, a Vodafone SIM is just a regular GSM SIM, of course, it should work, since we are all lead to believe the AT&T iPad is not locked. And again, you should be able to access the HSPA+/HSDPA part of the network.

6. SBA macrumors member

But Verizon doesn't use a gsm network here in the states, so no, a Verizon sim will not work in his iPad.

Unless of course you mean while outside the country, then that sim card should work. I haven't tested that though.

7. dchao macrumors 6502a

You are right, the PRL on the Vodafone SIM must be excluding all the US AT&T networks.