Verizon Simultaneous Data/Voice Coming By End of Year

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stewart715, Jan 12, 2011.

1. stewart715 macrumors 6502

2. wongster41 macrumors regular

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

4. NKT macrumors regular

D

If its for existing handsets it will be VoRA. That should just a software update on the phone.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Wouldn't that require new hardware?

What is VoRA?

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

wrong. CMDA2000 EVO Rev-A is able to do to do it. Just Verizon never turned it on and had orginally scrapped the plans to do so in favor of going LTE. This does not mean Verizon can not still do the work they need on the backend to allow it to happen.

7. NKT macrumors regular

Simply put it's VOIP used natively on the device. Its a software change on the device, now that VZW has tested the backend (some areas may still need to implement the changes, but it's been proven out).

8. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

The mashable.com article lost me a bit when they said, "It can’t use a SIM card, making it far more difficult to switch handsets."

It's not "far" more difficult. In fact, depending on where the SIM is hidden, it can be easier to switch CDMA handsets since you can usualy just make a phone call and get reprogrammed.

Both Apple and the GSM Association were trying to switch to a similar non-swappable SIM solution, if you recall.

As for the simultaneous voice+data, they quoted a CDMA org spokesman who pretty clearly was talking about SVDO chips, if you ask me. So I really don't think it'll be any backward compatible change, alas. But I could be wrong. Could be VoRA.

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

The solution to the SIM failed horribly because the whole point of GSM was that, the swappable SIM. Apple wants it gone because they need the space.

I agree, it is difficult to switch handset by the "by far" is not agreeable. There is a hassle, but "far" no.

10. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

By the end of the year?

By that time, won't the next installment (iPhone 4S/iPhone 5/etc.) of the iPhone of been announced, released, sold, resold, updated, etc?
    Maybe LTE might be part of this speculated release.
    And LTE is definitely fast enough to support voice/data.

11. Wide opeN macrumors 6502

Wide opeN

Ahhh, I see the vocal minority have seen that this is an actually useful feature.

Before VZW was confirmed, they tried to downplay the importance of the feature. Now that their wish has been granted, there's a new campaign to be vocal about something.

Lol, too funny!!!

12. stewart715 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not down or up-playing the importance. Just simply stating that it may be an available feature. I don't see where I signified any importance whatsoever. :confused::confused:

13. URFloorMatt macrumors 6502

The only reason it's important to Verizon is because if they don't implement it, every AT&T iPhone ad will mention it from now until the end of time.

Why is that worth avoiding? Not because it's a significant feature but because most people are ignorant of technology and don't understand what it means, and that will likely convince them to believe, as many spinsters have attempted to convince everyone on this website, that somehow this is a crippling defect in the Verizon iPhone.

I would wager that 80-90% of iPhone users have never once taken advantage of simultaneous voice/data. After all, if it was such an important feature, AT&T would already be advertising about it because it's not just limited to the iPhone. It's every phone on Verizon.

14. stewart715 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yup.

15. NKT macrumors regular

It most definitely will be VoRA. Limited commercial trials should happen mid year.

16. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

I thought you thought it wasn't "that important"? ;)

17. OnTheZone macrumors regular

A lot more people use it than you think and they may not even know it. You get a voicemail, which is downloaded while on the phone or your sending an email and then jump on the phone. Its so your phone keeps up with you and not wait for you to get off the phone to download things. I personally have never seen at&t bash on another company other than defending them selves. If i was apple i personally wouldn't want to be apart of that immature commercials because they cant come up with clever mature commercials. Voice and Data simultaneous is not a needed feature but a wanted feature that Verizon is going to bash on because there network was never done right the first time, nor am i saying at&t is but you have a lot more smartphone users on at&t which makes it have more problems with bandwidth in my opinion.

18. zephxiii macrumors 6502

And Apple gave up on that. I wouldn't want to see that anyways.

19. scaredpoet, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

On the contrary: I would wager that 80-90% of iPhone users HAVE taken advantage of this feature but simply don't realize that it's a "feature" that some other networks don't have.

They are.

Also: Welcome to two years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWC8IzV9Pdo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9npoVrRBDHk
    "Can your phone, on your network do that?"

20. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Many newbies may not recall that when the first iPhone came out with only EDGE and no voice+data, there was a similar outcry from the 3G smartphone users at the time who did have that feature.

It didn't seem to stop many people from buying that first iPhone anyway, and it's not going to stop many current Verizon customers either.

Far more worrisome should be Apple Buyer Rule #1: never get their first model of anything, because you know they'll drop the price and add features in the next one... perhaps sooner than you expect :)

(I'm getting one for my wife anyway. Yeah, I'm a sucker.)

21. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

The outcry in June from the people lining up to buy this now will be pretty entertaining. Unless Verizon is prepared to take a serious haircut and let these people upgrade again so soon.

22. URFloorMatt macrumors 6502

Uh, Apple ran those kinds of commercials for years. Remember the "I'm a Mac" ads? Sure, they were cute/funny ads, but they were largely mean-spirited and frequently distorted the truth, paticularly in the early going.
    I'm well aware of those ads. I meant now. They're not already running them now. It's not like AT&T found out yesterday that they were going to lose exclusivity; if they thought it was worth mentioning, they'd be doing it.

23. Mactrillionaire macrumors regular

Actually, I think Luke Wilson did best to underscore the hilarity of it all when he tried to surf/talk using two Verizon phones. In any event, it is good for Verizon that they struck a deal with Apple regarding the iPhone since the Android operating system is about to face quite an onslaught of litigation. It's never a good idea to put all eggs in the same basket.

24. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It's also not like AT&T was given Apple's playbook on exactly when the Verizon iPhone was going to drop. Running TV ads before any announcement would've been shooting in the dark.

You should probably look at AT&T's Twitter and facebook feeds. They're already drumming up the rhetoric. The more conventional advertising is more likely to follow very soon.

25. whiteyanderson macrumors 6502

Or you can just sell the Verizon iPhone you purchased and get the new version. It WILL sell. Easily. :eek: