Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Verizon and Apple last week announced a partnership that provides six free months of Apple Music service to new and existing customers with a Verizon Unlimited plan, and as of today, Verizon customers can sign up for their free Apple Music subscriptions.

Verizon subscribers who have an unlimited plan can visit the Apple Music section on the Verizon website to begin the sign up process. Logging in with a Verizon subscriber account is required, and from there, customers will receive a text message with a link that needs to be opened on a mobile device.

verizonapplemusic-1-800x356.jpg

For iPhone and Android users that already have the app installed, it will open it up with subscription options. If the app isn't already installed, the App Store or Google Play store will open with instructions to download the app.

Apple Music is available to all Verizon Unlimited subscribers, including Verizon Plan Unlimited, Go Unlimited, Beyond Unlimited, and Above Unlimited. Customers who have one of Verizon's original Unlimited plans (from earlier this year) can also sign up, and there have been some reports from Reddit users that other Verizon subscribers have been presented with the offer.

verizonapplemusicsignup-800x647.jpg

Verizon customers who already subscribe to Apple Music can activate the free trial offer, but will be prompted to cancel their existing Apple Music subscriptions through Apple to avoid double billing.

verizoncancelapplemusic-800x645.jpg

Apple Music subscribers who recently renewed will want to wait for a few weeks to activate their Verizon trials to make sure to get the full six months of free service. Annual subscribers may be able to cancel via Apple and get a prorated refund.

Each individual Verizon line is able to sign up for a free Apple Music trial, but it does not work with the family plan. Customers with an existing Apple Music family plan will need to cancel it, with each person in the family signing up for the free Verizon trial separately. The same goes for current student plans -- cancel with Apple and resubscribe through Verizon to get the free six months.

It appears the Apple Music subscriptions will be billed through Verizon following the conclusion of the six month trial rather than through iTunes like a standard Apple Music subscription.

verizonapplemusicsubscriptionconfirmation-800x843.jpg

Customers who sign up for the six month free trial and who do not want to pay for a subscription afterwards can cancel at any time, including right after signing up. Access to Apple Music remains available for the full six month period after cancelling through Verizon.

Subscriptions redeemed today will expire in February 2019.

Article Link: Verizon Subscribers With Unlimited Plan Can Now Sign Up for Six Free Months of Apple Music

Last edited:

djcerla

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
This is sure to inflate the numbers Spotify-style, so we will begin to have an apples-to-apples comparison next year.

doomfront

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
Hopefully this lasts for a while, I'm still using my student discount for Apple Music. Whenever they ask me to verify again, I'll cancel and use this

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Wife got an iPhone 8 with Verizon's Unlimited (lowest tier unlimited) plan and I was going to switch to Verizon next month. We went on vacation and the wifi at the airport was acting up. That means I was the only one with a phone at the airport because apparently you can't use the lowest tier unlimited plan anywhere there is ... like other people. Yet it cost $20 more than my plan at AT&T.

Now I'm not switching and she called Verizon to get downgraded off the unlimited plan and told them that their service sucked. I know that all the providers probably have similar issues with their unlimited plans, but I honestly thought it was "oh if you're at a concert you'd get lower speeds" not "oh you want to use the phone in an airport HAHAHA no."

Mick-Mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
I agree with 907 - Verizon must be feeling guilty about the excessive amount of money they're making off their unlimited plan customers. How about a free 3 months of Apple Music for my lesser paying Verizon plan?

Reactions: DEXTERITY

acorntoy

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Signing up for this would actually cost me money.

I get Hulu and Spotify for the $4.99 student fee, if I got rid of Spotify I would be paying $7.99 for just Hulu. I feel like Spotify is still offering the most incentives to sign up.
[doublepost=1534442303][/doublepost]
This is sure to inflate the numbers Spotify-style, so we will begin to have an apples-to-apples comparison next year.

Just sayin...

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2008
I’ve searched and, while this is a nice 6-month offer, I find that my family of four will wind up paying just short of $40/Mo. for this “deal” once the promo period runs out. No thank you. I can get either Spotify or Apple Music for $15/Mo. on a family plan outside of Verizon...unless something changes.

KPandian1

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2013
Didn't some car companies come under fire for the same "generous" free six month music subscription a few months ago? That was three months free by Apple, plus three by the auto manufacturer, a whole $30 worth when buying a car $15-60K value.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
I’ve searched and, while this is a nice 6-month offer, I find that my family of four will wind up paying just short of $40/Mo. for this “deal” once the promo period runs out. No thank you. I can get either Spotify or Apple Music for $15/Mo. on a family plan outside of Verizon...unless something changes.

It's absolutely not worth keeping after the trial period runs out for families, but you can cancel and then sign up for a family plan once it expires. Not sure how it impacts playlists and other settings, though.

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
I dont know why people complain about Verizon's pricing.

I've tried tmobile and at&t and they both are not even close to what I'm getting on Verizon.

Try walking into a building with tmobile and watch what happens.

We are paying 220 a month for 6 lines all unlimited data.

Screenshot_20180816-141819_My Verizon.jpg

KrispE00

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2016
No. All of them are lost. Perhaps the worst thing about Apple Music.
Really? I’ve canceled my subscription and re-enabled it a week later, and I remember everything still being there. I think it may rescan your library and reupload unmatched songs, but I think your list of Apple Music songs is still there. What did you lose?

Agneev

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2017
1 Infinite ∞
Really? I’ve canceled my subscription and re-enabled it a week later, and I remember everything still being there. I think it may rescan your library and reupload unmatched songs, but I think your list of Apple Music songs is still there. What did you lose?

This is what Apple Support told me on Twitter, a while back...

Screenshot%202018-08-17%2000.45.41.png

Last edited:

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I already have Apple Music. I am not going to cancel my current subscription, so that I can sign up for a 6 month trial etc.

If Verizon offered the music perk as part of the service or even at a reduced price, they probably would get new customers. As it stands, I don't see anything beneficial for current customers like me. Glad others can make use.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Ugh. I have Apple Music, and a Verizon unlimited plan. It'd be nice to take advantage of Verizon's offer to pay for half a year, but there are a number of slightly worrisome hoops to jump through. I'd worry that canceling my current subscription through Apple may lose my playlists and such (perhaps less likely given the bit in the article about "you have two subscriptions, which to cancel"), and that then, after six months, switching from Verizon back to Apple would offer another opportunity to lose information (and more likely then, since Apple is less likely to have an in-app subscribe button when you're already subscribed, so it's more likely to be a matter of canceling the Verizon-supplied AM and subscribing fresh through Apple).

And I would, indeed, want to switch back, since I'm currently on the $99/yr plan ($8.25/mo) rather than $9.99/mo plan, and Verizon doesn't mention that as an option. Not interested in paying more in the long run just to get it free for a while.

This looks like a way for Verizon to attract more new customers (good for them), and if you end up paying through them after six months (they're surely hoping a lot of people will do this), they likely get a cut from Apple for bringing in customers (Apple is likely effectively selling AM subscription months to Verizon at somewhat less than $9.99/mo). That's also a win for Verizon. It's much less convenient/helpful, though, for existing subscribers to both services. It would have been nice to offer us, "as a thank you for being longstanding Verizon customers, here's a code for a (even just a) discount on six months of your existing Apple Music subscription". Offering existing customers a "deal" that potentially causes them to lose a bunch of data is not so nice.

Last edited:

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I would much prefer paying Apple for a music subscription and have Verizon do a promo where you could stream Apple unlimited and not have them throttle or cap you.

Verizon isn't paying Apple for this in the normal way. It's not like Verizon gives Apple a $10 check each month for each Verizon customer.

Apple is winning by getting free advertising, and likely because of this, more paying customers in 6 months.

Apple already did a free 3 month promotion. Verizon is getting an additional 3 months. Verizon probably gave Apple a few perks, like free Verizon service for Apple employees in exchange for this.

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
I dont know why people complain about Verizon's pricing.

I've tried tmobile and at&t and they both are not even close to what I'm getting on Verizon.

Try walking into a building with tmobile and watch what happens.

We are paying 220 a month for 6 lines all unlimited data.

View attachment 776329
Speak for yourself. I have tmobile and get excellent service inside buildings and in the NYC subway system, including a place where my att service was nonexistent. I have 4 people and pay $140 flat with no taxes or fees on top of that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.