Verizon talking customers out from buying iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dmoening, Jul 15, 2011.

1. dmoening macrumors newbie

I have had numerous people tell me that when going into Verizon, reps are purposely trying to talk iPhone wanting customers out from buying them. They are trying to push them all to Android phones. I can't believe this! Someone literally told me that one representative told them that the phone is "outdated" and that Apple would be "bought by android." I can't believe someone would say such a thing. I guess you can't expect much more from Verizon. Anyone else have similar instances?

2. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

I can believe it. Consumers are uninformed and snot nosed kids who work in retail have their own agenda.

3. shelbymayer macrumors regular

If its the same as AT&T...verizon employees make far less commission on an iphone sale than any other phone!

4. dmoening thread starter macrumors newbie

I really wanted to go into the Verizon store and laugh at how dumb of a comment it was.

5. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Sadly, yes. I had the same experience at a Best Buy Mobile store. He made some really lame remarks as well. :D

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I'd say dude you gonna go bring me an iPhone or do I gotta go to another place?

7. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

I believe Verizon doesn't get commission from selling iPhones but they do when they sell Android. Whether thats true or not, I don't care. I'm using the phone, not them.

8. haticK macrumors 6502a

haticK

First sign that the Verizon rep has absolutely no idea what he's talking about: Apple wouldn't be bought by Android, they would be bought by Google. Not to mention that would never happen in a million years. He is probably also an Android fanboy.

9. tekker macrumors regular

I think what they're trying to say is that the iPhone 4 is a year old, significantly older than Verizon's current Android lineup.

They can't make you buy phones, so why does it matter? Or do you own Apple shares that you are personally offended by this? ;)

10. dickdaney macrumors regular

The margins are higher on android phones. The full retail price of the 16GB iphone 4 is $90 higher than the full retail price of the top of the line android phone.

11. Dunbar macrumors 6502a

Don't believe it, I think salespeople give their opinion when asked. I was at the Verizon store last week and heard a salesguy steer a customer away from Android to iPhone. But the customer asked him which one he preferred and he said the iPhone.

12. rever3nce macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

^exactly why they dont want you to buy one. and probably cuz they dont have one and dont want you to have a better phone then they do :rolleyes:

13. DKTacts macrumors member

Your sample size of n=1 is not very convincing.

14. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I was about to point this out. 1 guy doing this is hardly the same as "Verizon talking customers out from buying iPhone". He probably just needs the money.

15. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I've seen a lot of the opposite. A lot of my friends, even ones that swore they would never buy an iPhone, bought iPhones shortly after they hit Verizon. I can think of at least 5 people off the top of my head that switched to an iPhone on Verizon. This is DESPITE the fact that a lot of people were waiting for the updated model this fall and DESPITE the fact that it was last year's model.

This just tells me how huge the Verizon iPhone launch is going to be this fall. They are going to sell gillions of these things. I personally am holding on to my iPhone 4 until next summer/fall and will upgrade then, but either way, "go Apple". They're kicking butt now more than they ever have, even in the face of stiff competition from Android. If they announce the new iPhone for all 4 of the big carriers (well, I guess now it's technically all 3 of the big carriers), the iPhone is going to explode.

16. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

This

Verizon employees don't make commission on the phone, they make it on the contract. One of my close friends is a manager there and I'm friends with two others who work there. Basically employees will try and sell the phone they know most about and are most comfortable with.

17. Reaper0bot0, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2011

Reaper0bot0 macrumors regular

18. digitalvox macrumors newbie

I have a corporate discount through Verizon, so I'd get discount off phones, accessories, and plan. So during the iPhone 4 launch, i went in to get my phone, and they said I don't get any discount off of any apple products, which includes apple related accessories. The Verizon rep there said that they actually don't make any money off the apple products. If I buy a droid or any other brand then they would give me the discount. So my guess is, the sales rep doesn't make any money off the iPhone. Plus the rep could be a droid fan boy so it all depends.

19. Govern1 macrumors newbie

IMO there seems to be a 50/50 split depending on what rep and store you get. Past February I visited a Verizon store for a wireless card and spoke a bit with a rep that sounded genuinely enthusiastic about the iPhone and apple products in general. However, a few weeks ago I visited another Verizon store where one rep saw my iPhone 4 and made several snide remarks about the antenna and phone. Still, I've never noted any hate towards the iPhone at att stores. It seems to be a Verizon only issue and definitely not some isolated problem.

20. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Lol see my thread about this I post a bit back.....I had a similar experience...

21. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

The only hate for anything at a V store was directed at me when that "commission-paid-trampy-looking-lady-trying-to-look-like-she-was-still-a-snot-nose-teen" made a snide report and told someone else to help me because I was just looking at dumb phones for my daughter.

I swore when I had to go back there to get my iPhone if she was there I was walking out. Thankfully, a nice young well dressed "kid" was working, has an iPhone himself and I was in and out in 15 minutes.

Oh and the department manager at Best Buy has an iPhone.... But they couldn't deal with our business account.

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well technically the iPhone is outdated. VZW's android offerings are much newer, like only a few months or even days old, i.e., droid 3. The iPhone is over a year old.

If the iPhone wasn't so long in the tooth, we'd not see as many threads here from people aching for the new iPhone.

As for why they're doing that. I'm assuming as others have - commission. They make more on commission on non-apple products so if they think they can sell a non iPhone to someone they will

23. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

iPhone shares in the Apple plan for the iPhone where Verizon gets 100% of the money. AT&T does the same and would rather you get an Android rather than a iPhone or Blackberry as they make less money!

24. kicko macrumors 65816

i had seen this happen in the first week the iphone was released. I was suprised because i figured this was a big deal finally getting the phone on the network and they wanted to sell them.

A friend of mine explained to me something to the effect that selling an iphone does not count towards their "quota" and others phone can actually give them a bonus depending on the cost of the phone. if that is true then you could understand the practice.

25. Hayduke60 macrumors regular

I didn't experience any kind of Android pressure. The salesgirl that sold me an iPhone, sold one to the guy in front of me without pressuring him either. The manager of the place even helped me pick out a case for it. The one like his for his iPhone. He said he was excited about the iPhone5 release as it should or would be 4g. But he as a Verizon employee didn't get a discount on Apple products. So if or when a 4g iPhone does come out, he will happily pay full price for one.