Verizon Tiered Pricing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by treyjustice, Jun 18, 2010.

1. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

2. raremage macrumors 6502a

No surprise, the VZW CEO talked about this (though with reference to 4G, not existing service) a week before AT&T made the change.

The most likely candidate to keep unlimited for the longest (IMHO) is Sprint. They need a hook to slow the drain of customers. Too bad their service sucks so incredibly bad (in Orlando, anyhow).

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

Monkey see Monkey do. Verizon raised there ETF then AT&T did it. AT&T changes the data plan and Verizon fallows. in other new T-mobile is on the list of Business that might close or cell in the next year. hmmm they are a GSM network who is already set up for GSM! and who isn't!

4. treyjustice thread starter macrumors 65816

treyjustice

Yeah with the advancement of phones using so much data They're all gonna have to do it

5. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Except that VZW announced their change first. The announcement was so close to AT&Ts that I'd say they weren't exactly following each other. In fact, it just looks like it's inevitible that the entire industry will go that route.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

These companies are basically like 2 elephants living in the same cage.

If one of them does something, it's for a reason and the other will soon be forced to do for those same reasons. It has little to do with 'copying' and is just that once something is necessary for one, it's necessary for the other.

They've probably both been planning this for some time now.

7. raremage macrumors 6502a

I'm sure there are never informal discussions on this sort of thing. It probably came up over a game of golf:
    "We're gonna raise our ETFs!"
    "Oh hey, great idea. We've been thinking about implementing tiered pricing!"
    "I LOVE that idea! Fore!"

8. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    If there was a huge migration whenever a carrier raised prices or changed plans, then the others would be less likely to do the same.

But the migration doesn't seem to happen, for various reasons.

It also doesn't hurt that some changes actually make sense. They can't give everyone unlimited data over limited bandwidth... at least not yet. And higher ETFs for larger subsidies is fair.

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

The carriers should do data like they do voice minutes.

You have a limited amount of any time data (lets say 200 megs and 2 gigs) and then unlimited N&W data. I think most people would be pretty happy with that.

10. treyjustice thread starter macrumors 65816

treyjustice

lol IDK. then n&w wold be SUPER SLOW

11. foot56 macrumors regular

I wish ATT had rollover data just like with minutes.

12. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I hope Verizon follows through on their other idea: buying buckets of data that you can use on any device.

For instance, it is silly that a person has to have separate data plans for both their iPhone and iPad. Their data usage should come from the same shared "bucket" of prepaid data.

13. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

AMEN MY BRUTHA!

14. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

not really. If you think about it during N&W most people will be at home which means they should be on WiFi so a non issue stress wise on the network.

It useful when you are out and about on N&W but for the most part the network is mostly stress during the week while people are at work where most do not have access to wifi they can use.

I think that would be a great way to do it.

15. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

THe only ones I do not see going this way is T-Mobile and Sprint, they can not afford to lose a single customer as they do not have nearly the userbase combined that VZ or AT&T does. AT&T might be kissing 20% of it's users goodbye if VZ does eventually get the iPhone, however I can not wait to see eventually what happens to VZ's network if they get it, but I am assuming that is highly unlikely and I think the CDMA version of the iPhone might be for someone else?

:rolleyes:

16. JediZenMaster Suspended

JediZenMaster

Soo this is crazy the extreme AT&T haters raked them over the coals for offering tiered pricing. Yet Verizon gets a free pass from people? Guess the lunatic fringe has a double standard.

And the funny thing is that verizon hyped up their coming soon 4G network for things like Video Calling , Online gaming ,etc. How will people take advantage of that if it's going to be tiered? I guess the verizon apologists will weigh in on this.

17. JediZenMaster Suspended

JediZenMaster

Well look at it this way..If the whole industry starts to do this then T-Mobile and Sprint wouldn't technically lose any customers. Because the Providers all switched to this model of pricing they would pay it no matter where they went.

Honestly if Verizon ever get's the iphone..Unicorns aside..There wouldn't be a huge flux of users leaving because if big reds past is an indication of it's future the pricing will be higher than AT&T's. I guess they have to "Recoup" the cost of building out their 4G footprint.

18. alm99 macrumors 6502

I wouldn't mind seeing VZW matching the prices of AT&T, but being more generous with the data. Which I would would in turn force AT&T to readjust the allotments, but its VZW and they will more than likely match or offer something even worse.

19. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Probably it's just a matter of who does it first.

For instance, Verizon raised the ETF first, and got raked over the coals until everyone figured out why it made sense. So when ATT later did it, they got a free pass.

Likewise, ATT has gone tiered first, and has to take the heat first.

However, ATT got an extra hit because unlimited data was a cornerstone of its iPhone contract for years... and seemed to be promised for the iPad as well.

---

Actually I think it's amazing how little pushback either carrier has gotten. Compare the public response to back when Apple first dropped the iPhone price. Now THAT was real yelling, with fast results.

20. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

HAHAHAHA So much for Verizon Fanboys saying Verizon loved them and wouldn't do it...

21. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Who said that? Where? When?

We knew Verizon was gonna do it. They announced it first.

22. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

They announced 4G tiered, not 3G....

23. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

Why aren't you all as outraged as you were when AT&T did the same thing?

24. JediZenMaster Suspended

JediZenMaster

True but when they start releasing 4G handsets in non-4G markets i'm sure verizon will force those people who can't use the 4G network to pay for some type of 4G data. They could spin it and say that "Its required for use of the advance equipment".

Pretty much like how sprint is requiring the 4G premier data package even if your not in a wimax area when you buy an EVO. This will sucker people into paying for it and at least in sprints defense they will have 100 Mil customers covered by end of the year.

It will probarly take 2 years before verizon has that many customers covered. That coupled with the fact that Clear has deeper pockets and lots of investors VS verizon that may cut back if the economy gets worse.

25. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Because we're in an iPhone forum and iPhones are only on AT&T :rolleyes:

As for the tiered pricing, I'm not surprised. The days of unlimited bandwidth is coming to a close, it doesn't matter if we're talking mobile, or broadband.