Verizon to charge for supporting simultaneous voice & data? (source)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ashVID, Oct 9, 2010.

1. ashVID macrumors regular

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-...transmit-data-voice-together-wsj-reports.html

According to that article, the phone will not support voice and data simultaneously. That's a massive non-starter for most users, especially given the amount of apps that require and use an almost constant connection.

The article seems to say they Verizon will SELL you the ability to do both voice and data later in the year. How very, well, Verizon, of them. Get ready for $150+ a month cell bills if you actually want to use the phone.

Personally, I still have doubts. I expect to see a Verizon 7" iPad or CDMA iPod before a phone, we'll see.

ash =o)

2. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Where do you get from that the idea that Verizon will charge extra for simultaneous voice and data use? There's nothing to suggest it will cost the user extra... and Verizon is smart enough to recognize what an idiotic business decision that would be, I'm sure.

3. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I think you have it wrong their. The non data simultaneously is a non issue for most people.
    It is an even big non issue if you are anywhere that has wifi as the phone just goes over that method.
    I have a blackberry 8900 which is edge only. Means phone or data. Not both. I can count on 1 hand how many times that has really been an issue. More often than not I am in range of wifi so data is during a phone call is off loaded onto the wifi.

4. thetexan macrumors 6502a

For most people it's a non-issue. I can only think of one or two times it'd of been used by me.

If it is an issue to you stay with AT&T on 3G, it's actually really simple.

5. ashVID thread starter macrumors regular

They talk about it being a "commercial" solution in the future. I've heard AT&T refer to tethering as a commercial solution in the past.

How is this a non-issue? Blackberry is not a good comparison. Are you guys aware of the number of apps that stream or use fairly constant connectivity? Games, Pandora, streaming radio apps, the list goes on and on. It's only an issue if you don't use your phone much as a phone.

ash =o)

6. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    It's not a non-issue, especially for some who use it all the time, but it's nowhere near the big issue you make it out to be.

• The first iPhone was EDGE only and not only couldn't do it, but wouldn't let calls through during active data comms, unlike CDMA phones which do. Yet it sold.
    • iPhones after the first model that are outside of 3G coverage can't do it either. Yet they still sell.
    • Over 130 million CDMA users in just the USA apparently chose reliable voice (and data) connections as a primary goal.

Background comms are mainly an issue if the phone supports multitasking, something the iPhone did not until recently. Furthermore, streaming apps over 3G was done via CDMA for years before ATT relented and let Apple do the same. As for Pandora, most people want it to pause while on a call.

Simultanous voice and data is a great thing to have, but demonstrably it's not been a critical deciding factor so far for a lot of consumers. And once LTE+CDMA handsets hit in a few months with the capability, the whole thing becomes fairly moot.

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

BB is a fine comparison here. Blackberry also has pandora/streaming radio email ect.

Problem is your counter argument is worthless. If you are on a phone call you will not be streaming music or streaming video. If should not be playing a game because that means you are not paying attention to the call any how.

Hell in this case Blackberry is a great example since during a phone call the overlaps will be the same. General that will be email is being sent during the call from that person or you need to look something up during the call that directly deals with the convostation.

Both are very rare during a call and often wifi will cover it so non issue.

8. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Sprint charges extra for simul voice and data. $10/mo for their 4G. Their 3G won't do it but when you're connected 4G you can. That is the infamous "Evo Tax" (as well as any other 4G phone they have).

If Verizon goes 4G I'd bet the plan they will follow.

Frankly I hope Verizon gets an iPhone because then all these people who allegedly would switch will kill Verizon's network and clear things out for ATT. You think Verizon would fare any better then ATT did when they got hit with all the iPhone users at once?

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

tell you the truth yes I do.

Reason for it is Verizon has a better backbone in place and on top of that Verizon already has much more wireless data being transmitted over their network and they are not having any problems.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Everything is a non-issue to VZ fanboys. :D
    They would hate beeing able to talk and use data at the same time, take their cellphones outside the US etc......

11. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

Ummmmmm no.

I like ATT perfectly file but I have never used data + voice at the same time.

Taking the phone to other countries is also invalid because it is a hacked feature.

Try again. Or go back to the hacks section. This is for the big boys.

12. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Uh...why wouldn't they? They have the advantage of 1) already having a superior network to AT&T, 2) having much more experience handling heavy data users, and 3) having seen what AT&T went through.

It says "commercially available". How do you translate this as "at an extra cost"???

And to be clear, this isn't the same as Sprint's 4G. This would be a technology upgrade to VoRA or SVDO.

There are a few occasions I've used simultaneous voice and data to give directions, but that's about it. I might miss it on occasion, but I could do without for a few months.

To be honest, I no longer would blindly jump like I would a year ago. An LTE iPhone is the only thing that would make me jump for sure, otherwise I'll be looking to see how things turn out price-wise etc...

BTW, one of the linked articles (may have been a link within the first article) mentioned the inability to use CDMA phones in most of Asia....total crap. My CDMA Treo worked fine in both China and Korea.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    Good luck trying to tell me what do and where to post but its not going to happen newbie with your whole 7 posts.:D
    You dont need to hack your phone to take it to other countries outside the US. The AT&T sim will work fine anywhere in the world. Learn a few things before you try to post around bigger and more knowledgeable boys;)
    I talk and access data with my phone every day, just cause you dont it doesnt mean its not a must have for some.

14. simple20 macrumors regular

Ha! I didn't even know my phone could do that.

15. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Well, I'll chip in and say that yes, normally if I'm on the phone I'm not using data. But I have done that a few times and I still find it handy to do so.

And while it's not a big issue in terms of how many times I actually find that useful, psychologically it would annoy me that I couldn't do both cause I'd just find it kinda stupid I couldn't.

But... I'd be even more super annoyed if they actually wanted to charge me to be able to do both at once... I do doubt Verizon actually would charge for it cause I gotta agree with some one else, I doubt Verizon would be *that* stupid. I doubt anyone would pay extra to do it and all it would do is piss off some customers, some who had valid need of it and some like me who would think it was ridiculous they wanted to charge for that regardless if I needed it. Why would they piss off some customers to do something they wouldn't get any benefit of anyways? The only people who would think of paying for it (cause they used it enough) would probably just go to some other carrier instead.

Ah well, doesn't affect me, I'd stay with AT&T even if the phone went to Verizon. Have no opinion on Verizon (only carrier I would actively avoid is Sprint) but I've been happy the 8 years I've been with Cingular/AT&T and really see no reason to change *shrug*. Honestly, the biggest reason I'd change AT&T is for a phone, but even last time I actually was actively looking for a *different* phone (I liked my iphone so much I just got the upgrade this time), I was preferring if it be on AT&T if possible.

16. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I suspect most people don't. Nor do most know they can even start another app at all while they're on the phone... unless they own a Palm with WebOS, where starting another multitasking app is a common and incredibly easy action.

The mass education of how to use smartphones is just beginning. As people know more, they crave more.

A very understandable feeling. A lot of us felt the same way when we were prevented from using Slingplayer and other streaming apps over 3G by Apple and ATT.

Of course, that's even worse because it _was_ possible and yet was blocked on purpose.

17. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You are being foolish. You have not used, but it doesn't mean everyone else doesn't. I for one use it alot. Maps + phone call = win for me. Don't worry, I am the passenger.

Invalid you say on taking the iPhone outside the US? Surely Verizon... oh wait, you CAN TAKE the iPhone outside the US without the need to hack. It is expensive to do so, but you can nonetheless.

Big boys? Lol, your impressive 10 posts is not representative of being a Big Boy. When you make it to 6502, then you can call your self a child, for now, you are a runt.

This is sooo true. VZ fanboys think their network is God giveth. Newsflash, it WILL crumble....

18. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

Bwah-hah-hah Ownage!!

19. ashVID thread starter macrumors regular

First gen iphone on edge is not relevant, there was not even an app store then and edge barely is usable for anything but text communication.

I am not talking about using data while on the phone (which is actually relevant in many business apps) I am talking about streaming multimedia apps that would interfere with phone use.

Blackberry is not relevant, as the average iPhone user consumes at least FIVE TIMES as much data as the avg BB user (up to 10X in some surveys). When you compare it just to other smartphones, iPhone users still consume twice as much data.

Again, if it's a non-issue for you then you either:

a) are a VZ fanboy and nothing is an issue
    b) don't use your phone as a phone that much
    c) don't need an iPhone because you aren't going to take advantage of the features

By the way, lot's of b's and c's out there on AT&T, people are increasingly using actual cell phone minutes less and less and that's fine.

ash =o)

20. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

It's perfectly relevent. It set a precedent and reflects Apple's thought processes as a company (choose the more stable tech over cutting edge).

Wrong again. You really should do your research before making statements like these:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38456202

You forgot D....don't tend to use the phone for data related functions when actually on a phone call. Some of us actually give our attention to the person we're talking to when we speak on the phone. The only reason I've ever needed data while talking was to give someone directions. I can't even think of another use...except possibly to Google something which is even more rare than the directions.

21. CK1Czar macrumors member

Well, I use it all the time. Some people know how to multitask. I'm always surfing the web or playing a game while talking, and you would never know it if you were on the other end.

22. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

+1 to that.

Going to different a different college than my girlfriend allowed me to perfect my multitasking while on the phone with her.

23. tigress666 macrumors 68040

When I find it useful is if I need to look something up or look where something is to tell the other person on the phone.

It's basically useful cause it's like having a computer to look something up when you are tryign to figure out where to meet or whatnot.

24. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Apple proclaimed the first iPhone to be an Internet communicator, and touted the use of email, YouTube, Google maps and Safari browser... some of the most used data comm apps... which were built-in when it launched.

And sure enough, without simultaneous voice and data, or even 3G, it became a hit.

Agreed.

Our contracting group once had to provide voice + data for a field app on a CDMA phone. What to do? We ended up adding a VoIP app, which allowed the user to make and take calls while using data, since it was all over EVDO.

Not sure what you meant here. Would you elaborate please?