Carrier Verizon to offer BYOD discount!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KUguardgrl13, Apr 14, 2014.

1. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

http://www.cnet.com/news/verizon-bring-your-own-device-get-a-discount/

Cnet is reporting that starting April 17th, Verizon will give a discount on service to those who bring their own devices!! No word on if you get the discount if you keep your device when your contract ends like with T-Mobile.

It's nice to see Big Red finally following suit though.

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

It's about time. This really needs to more of a regular thing as it is for AT&T and T-Mobile, than some limited time offer. This also better apply to those already on the shared plans and are not in contract.

3. KUguardgrl13 thread starter macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

The way I read it, the limited time only applies to getting the discount if you switch to a new Share Everything. Existing Share Everything subscribers would get to keep the discount indefinitely. Of course I want to look at the Verizon site or get an email from corporate to confirm. What I personally want is to get a discount when the contract on my iPhone ends in january.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yeah, that's what I mean, for those who are already on the More Everything plan and are out of contract would they automatically get this discount or at least have the option to get it if they somehow select it on the web site or perhaps call in? Hopefully at least one of those is the case.

5. KUguardgrl13 thread starter macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Do AT&T customers get a discount when their contracts end? I was under the impression that they didn't either which is why T-Mobile has done their whole Uncarrier thing. For Sprint I have no clue.

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yeah, they do now since the time when AT&T started the new plans and discounts for being on their Next program, the discounts would also extend to those who bring their devices or are no longer under contract or under the Next program. Verizon matched most of it with their Edge program, but didn't match the part about giving discounts to those who would bring their own device or would no longer be under contract. This kind of brings that part of it to Verizon now, assuming they would apply to to existing users as well (and assuming it's not a temporary thing and they would keep it around for good).

7. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

Terrible case of too little, too late. Ten bucks off a month isn't useful when their plan prices are CRAZY expensive to begin with.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

Seems like they are on par with AT&T. For those who are still with Verizon or will be with Verizon, any additional savings is always a good thing, even if later than some other carriers--it's better than not having the discounts.

9. djplaxe2109 macrumors 6502

Verizon will have to pry my unlimited data from my dead hands.

10. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

Four smartphones with 6GB data on VZW = $240/mo. Take off $10/line if everyone does BYOD and that's $200/mo.

Four smartphones with 6GB data on ATT = $200/mo WITHOUT the BYOD deal (on ATT it only kicks in at 10GB/mo and above).

Four smartphones with 10GB data on ATT = $160/mo if you BYOD

Comparing apples to apples, if you want to BYOD to a carrier, for $200/mo you can get 6GB of data with Verizon or 15GB on ATT and have $10/mo left over.

Not on par at all.

11. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

Or just end unlimited data.....they will.

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

I guess not as much for under 10 GB, but it should be matching for 10 GB and above: http://www.fiercewireless.com/story...ch-att-4-lines-10-gb-now-costs-160/2014-04-02

And with this additional discount it certainly helps even more.

I mean that's not to say things couldn't be better or shouldn't be better, but, again, for those who are already with Verizon or will be with Verizon (for whatever different reasons people might have), any additional discounts are good news, even if they are coming later than some other providers (at least later is better than never). So, yeah, not amazing and wonderfully progressive news, but good news nonetheless.

13. KUguardgrl13 thread starter macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I don't think it's fair to compare a 6gb Verizon plan to a 10gb AT&T plan since they cut the per device price at 10gb+. A BYOD plan with 4 smartphones and 6gb of data with AT&T is still $180. That's only a $20 difference. Four devices on contract for 6gb of data is $240 for both companies.

My family has the $240 6gb plan with Verizon, and it'd be awesome if the discount applied to devices after their contracts end. My mom's dumb phone is way off contract (LG Env3), and I would guess that my dad's 4S is close to it. My 5 goes off in January. My brother has his 4S until September 2015 (bought literally the morning the 5s was announced...). And then there's my mom's iPad which isn't on a contract. And of course my dad's 25% discount from his company.

But really the most important thing is if the carrier and service works for you. My dad travels a lot for his job, so good coverage is important. Talk&surf doesn't matter to us. So Verizon was a good choice for us. In the ten years we've had a family plan, we've never considered leaving.

14. JonathanK81, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2014

JonathanK81 macrumors 6502

JonathanK81

I read this and wonder if you're just trying to make Verizon sound good. I know you're not, but it just sounds like it, so don't take offense to that.

I will say, of course it's fair to compare 6GB to 10GB. If a customer could, they would always choose the 10GB plan over the 6GB. Especially if the 10GB is cheaper. Nobody in their right mind will say it's unfair to compare them. It'd only be unfair if the 10GB AT&T cost more than the 6GB Verizon.

15. Deguello macrumors 6502

I don't think it's fair to compare a four device, 6GB AT&T plan at $180 when anyone with two brain cells can get 10GB for $160. Who would pay $20 more for 4 GB less? To me, it's perfectly fair to compare plans people are actually likely to choose.

16. KUguardgrl13 thread starter macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I was just trying to show that AT&T isn't magically cheaper than Verizon for equal service. Their 10gb+ price cut is a way to keep subscribers from going to T-Mobile and to get more from Verizon. Maybe Sprint too since Framily gives you 1gb per line not shared.

My family isn't going to switch to AT&T, and 6gb works for us. 10gb on Verizon is outrageous! But maybe they'll follow AT&T eventually at their glacier-like pace. Just trying to rally Verizon subscribers since they're giving us something!

17. C DM, Apr 14, 2014

C DM macrumors Westmere

Seems like recent Verizon changes are bringing the pricing for something like that to be in line with what AT&T charges for it.

18. KUguardgrl13 thread starter macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Maybe they'd convince my mom to actually use the LTE on her 4th gen iPad instead of leaving it turned off. Not that she goes off wifi much anyway. It just causes me a headache...

19. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

You're just straining to make excuses for Verizon at this point.

20. KUguardgrl13 thread starter macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Who cares? This thread was to make Verizon subscribers happy, not give the rest of you a chance to rag on us. Since I didn't choose my plan, I'm not going to complain about it. They thought 6gb was enough when we had three 3G phones, one dumb phone, and a 4th gen iPad. They didn't change it when I got my iPhone 5 and went over the 6 gb. Then I got better wifi and it hasn't been an issue.

But seriously, why do you care? Verizon's glacier-like speed to change won't affect other network's customers. And if you are a Verizon customer, then why are you so quick to praise AT&T?

21. djplaxe2109 macrumors 6502

Not while I have a contract ;)

22. KUguardgrl13 thread starter macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Good luck! My mom decided she wanted a cellular iPad, and there went our unlimited data.

23. djplaxe2109 macrumors 6502

Everyone knows not to change the plan or upgrade a line without checking with me first lol. Literally never letting it go.

24. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

That is BS. I would gladly enjoy the $10 off a month, especially since I just paid full price to get a 5s and my 5's contract it over in October (I now plan to keep my 5s for at least a year and a half). Thing is, I'm on the 8GB plan. So the people on 6GB and lower (the cheaper plans) get the $10 off but the 8GB and higher (the higher priced plans) get nothing. Thats ridiculous.

25. C DM, Apr 14, 2014

C DM macrumors Westmere

Every tier seems to allow for a discount (with some higher priced plans getting an even bigger discount):

"Customers who choose plans with data allowances of 8 GB or below can add a smartphone for $30, a savings of $10, and customers who choose plans with data allowances of 10 GB and above can add a smartphone for $15, a savings of $25."

This is from Verizon's own press/news release about this at http://www.verizonwireless.com/news/article/2014/04/more-everything-savings-coming.html