Verizon to Offer Free Apple TV 4K in 5G Residential Broadband Package

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 14, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Verizon today announced that it will offer the Apple TV 4K as part of its 5G residential broadband package that's set to launch in four markets this year, including Indianapolis, Houston, Los Angeles, and Sacramento.

A free Apple TV 4K will be provided to Verizon 5G broadband customers in lieu of a traditional cable box. Several other cable providers have also been offering the Apple TV 4K as an option to customers, including DirecTV in the US, Canal+ in France, and Salt in Switzerland.

[​IMG]

With the Apple TV 4K, customers have access to cable content, both free and subscription, through a wide selection of apps that are available on the device, plus it includes perks like Siri for voice control and the Apple TV app for keeping track of the content you're watching across a wide range of apps.

In addition to an Apple TV 4K, Verizon is also planning to provide its 5G broadband subscribers with a subscription to YouTube TV, YouTube's $40 per month streaming service that offers access to television shows on ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, the CW, Disney, ESPN, FX, USA, and dozens more.

Verizon is aiming to be the first wireless provider to offer 5G residential broadband and 5G mobile service in the United States. Its home internet installations in Indianapolis, Houston, Los Angeles, and Sacramento are set to begin in the second half of 2018.

Article Link: Verizon to Offer Free Apple TV 4K in 5G Residential Broadband Package

2. Christian 5G macrumors 6502a

Christian 5G

Right before T-Mobile’s uncarrier move that is set to be tomorrow. Interesting.

3. Nyy8 macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

Will this help me go over my data cap faster?

4. nutmac macrumors 68040

Announcement without expected speed, monthly data cap (if any), price, and specific date.

5. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68020

That post alone made you go over your data cap bud!

6. brendu macrumors 68020

Hey Verizon, how about you get on board with single sign on then? It would help a lot.

7. rcooked macrumors regular

Yep. Interesting, but way too short on details. I’m sure there will be a cap...

8. now i see it macrumors 68030

With 5G who really needs FIOS? No wonder Verizon bailed out of the optical fiber business — they could see the writing on the wall.

9. AManInACan macrumors member

They are going to need all the fiber they can get just to feed the 5G cell sites. It's still radio and you are still sharing the bandwidth with others.

10. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

I live in Long Beach which is part of LA county. I wonder if I can get it.

11. displayblock macrumors member

You're part of the Los Angeles market.

12. breeeeathe macrumors member

breeeeathe

i still dont get the hype around 5G. what does it do??

13. jimothyGator macrumors regular

jimothyGator

They’ll continue to laying fiber backhaul, but fiber to the home is obsolete.

14. JRobinsonJr macrumors 6502a

Yes, but then the fibre is used for back-haul data. Leveraging 5G for last-mile is ... potentially brilliant.

15. HobeSoundDarryl, Aug 14, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2018

HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Burns data to the caps faster than ever before. More (billing) money, more money, more money. ;)

More serious answer: faster downloads over cellular (making the joke above based on a fair amount of truth). Instead of waiting 5 seconds for something, you might get it in 3.5-4 seconds now. You might notice a speed increase in some apps that lean on sizable data downloads. If you regularly run up into any data cap, you'll likely notice you doing that faster with 5G. If you have unlimited* and regularly run up into the throttling threshold, you'll likely get there faster with 5G.

16. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

I can’t wait to laugh at the amount of data they think home users can get by with. IMMA NEED 2TB MIN.

17. genovelle macrumors 6502a

This is aimed at replacing cable and fiber in homes because it’s 10 times faster than Gigabit

18. tech3475 macrumors 6502

Something tells me we will still end up relying on domestic fttc/fttp for one reason or another eg. Reliability, bandwidth, frequencies, cost, etc.

19. fairuz, Aug 14, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2018

fairuz macrumors 68000

fairuz

4G and earlier have a problem with high latency. 5G is supposed to reduce latency greatly, which usually matters more than bandwidth when you're loading a website. Also makes audio/video calls nicer.

Though I'm unsure what we'll see in the real world when it comes out; IDK if the latency of 4G comes from the wireless or the networking centers you're routed through. Those perform heavy packet inspection that isn't done on home broadband.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 14, 2018 ---
    Yes. For those bringing up the fiber used for backhaul, the point of FiOS is that they bring fiber straight to the house. It was a pain. Better to bring it to the street then transmit wirelessly to the houses.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 14, 2018 ---
    There are going to be way more 5G cell sites than before. It's last mile in the most literal sense. 5G's high-freq waves don't even work well long-range.

This is why people are concerned about harmful radiation, high-frequency transmitters all over the place now instead of just having a few cell towers transmitting at lower frequencies more likely to pass through living objects. Nobody knows enough to tell whether it's a problem, but I do know that there are exposure limits imposed by the FCC based on some research showing that certain levels can significantly increase the risk of cancer. I feel the money is going to bias them to give 5G the benefit of the doubt.

20. Michael Scrip, Aug 14, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2018

Michael Scrip macrumors 603

Correct.

But the question people are asking is... will 5G have the same kind of data caps and throttling that current 4G has?

For instance... you get "unlimited" data on your current 4G plan... except it's throttled after you use 22GB or whatever.

Now imagine that same sort of limitation on your home internet... where people regularly use HUNDREDS of gigabytes from Youtube, Netflix, etc.

So what good is "10 times faster than gigabit" if it'll be throttled (slowed down) after a certain amount of data?

Look... I understand the idea. It's a lot easier to pop up a tower and instantly give 10,000 homes access to super-fast wireless internet rather than stringing fiber to every home.

BUT... the carriers are already throttling 4G wireless data on phones... so why wouldn't they do the same for 5G at the home?

Either they'll have to admit that the throttling on phones is complete nonsense... or they'll have to give this 5G wireless home internet an insane pricetag.

Think of it this way... if they charge $80/mo for 22GB of full-speed 4G data on your phone... imagine the cost of 500GB or 1,000GB of full-speed 5G data at home. :eek:

21. fairuz macrumors 68000

fairuz

The 5G network is going to support much more bandwidth than 4G (if they're building it the way I think they are), meaning the data usage won't be such a problem that they have to throttle or set low caps. It should be more like the home broadband plans, at least with these home 5G connections. Cell might be different.

22. Michael Scrip macrumors 603

I'm optimistic from the technology standpoint... but I'm not optimistic from the business standpoint.

You're right... 5G can handle a lot more bandwidth than 4G. But if we've learned anything from the carriers... they love to nickle-n-dime in every way possible.

I'm guessing the carriers will invent some new way to overcharge for data on 5G... :p

23. v3rlon macrumors 6502a

If not, they will lower the cap until you do.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 15, 2018 ---
    4G data usage already isn’t a problem (as used now). Data caps are not about usage. It’s a way to get money. There is plenty enough research that shows this.

So expect plenty of data caps (sorry AT&T, I mean ‘usage tiers’) with the new program.

24. M.PaulCezanne macrumors 6502a

M.PaulCezanne

Again, too much to ask for 5G, 802.11 ax and the ability to update over cellular in the 2018 iPhones? Could it be that Apple wants to return to the days of releasing well-tested, cutting edge tech ahead of competitors?

I’d hold my breath but the urge to sigh is too strong.

25. Saipher macrumors demi-god

Saipher

I wonder if Google will switch the home fiber business model to 5G since they are having trouble expanding into new territories due to the high costs associated with fiber infrastructure.