Verizon ulimited data question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TsuaSai, Jun 20, 2011.

1. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

So I currently have a droid x with unlimited and I would like to get the next iphone when it comes out. I am wondering if my current unlimited data plan will be grandfathered in? Or should I jump the gun and commit now with and iphone4? I really have no need to upgrade now my phone works fine. So I am content to wait. However if it means missing out on unlimited data I might need to reconsider and upgrade now. I rarely hit that much data but its just nice to know I have nothing to worry about.

2. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Hm, you should re-word this to be more clear.

But do it in a brand new thread.

Again.

3. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

I asked a rep and they said you would be grandfathered in.
    I'm in the same boat. I'm ready to upgrade and want to keep my unlimited data. But if upgrading to i5 will make me go to tiered data I'd just buy the i4 now.

4. TsuaSai thread starter macrumors 6502

Perfect, thanks!

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

You can transfer the unlimited data from any smartphone (basically blackberry, android, windows phone 7) to the future iPhone. Verizon didn't mention whether customers would be grandfathered in or would be forced to change plans, but it wouldn't have made a difference if you were using an iPhone 4 right now. The only difference is, that you would have had the iPhone already.

6. TsuaSai thread starter macrumors 6502

I wasn't sure if they would what smart phone plans and a iphone plan. Pretty much thought they might try and consider it different things rather than grouping it all as smart phones.

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

They're all classified as smartphones and use the same "smartphone unlimited data" so you won't have a problem. :)

8. shadrap macrumors 6502

Now, the questions is will the unlimited 3g transfer to the unlimited 4g? If not, I might have to grab a Droid Charge until the LTE iPhone comes out.

9. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

According to their website it says 3g/4g is unlimited for 30

10. jackhdev macrumors 6502

If the fifth generation iPhone is a 3G phone, then yes, you will be grandfathered in. If it is a 4G phone, then you will not. The only way to be grandfathered in for an unlimited 4G plan is to buy a Thunderbolt, which I highly recommend NOT doing.

11. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Where did you get this information? Any sources?

12. andyx3x macrumors 65816

This is 100 percent correct. When you move to a 4g phone you will have to choose a tiered data plan.

13. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

As others have said, there is absolutely no chance any company allows unlimited to continue when going from 3g to 4g (or anything above 3g really)

They want as much money, as little data used, and as low caps as possible to get both

14. Centient macrumors 6502

AT&T did exactly that as I understand it.

Whether that will be the case for VZ or remain true for AT&T in the future is up in the air.

15. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Did exactly what?

16. Centient macrumors 6502

Allowed unlimited 3G users to move to 4G and maintain their unlimited data plans.

17. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Which devices?

18. macsimo macrumors newbie

Unlimited

Hate to burst anyone's bubble. Whether anyone (Verizon or AT&T) will be "grandfathered" in remains to be seen. I had an AT&T laptop connect stick that was unlimited. Rarely went over 5GB/ month. AT&T eliminated the unlimited plan. Didn't buy a new unit or change my contract. When questioned about it, AT&T responded that they were eliminating unlimited plans not only for the laptop connects, but eventually for iPhones as well. This was in December 2010. As I said, the companies can do anything they want. If both Verizon and AT&T decide to do away with unlimited plans, that's the way it will be.

19. Centient macrumors 6502

20. Centient macrumors 6502

Interesting. First time I've heard of someone getting booted from his/her unlimited plan on AT&T.

Anyone else have this happen to them?

21. D1G1T4L, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011

D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Source?

Saw this post on Engadget so just wondering where you get this 100% source?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/21/verizons-tiered-data-plans-wont-affect-grandfathered-customers/

"Yesterday's revelation that Verizon may soon be enforcing usage-based data plans came as a slap in the face to many, but there may be at least one speck of sunlight shining through the dark clouds above. Screenshots appeared today, purportedly from employee communications, that would go a long way toward assuaging our worst nightmares: Verizon is indeed planning to mirror AT&T's policy of letting current customers hang onto their grandfathered data plans -- even when renewing contracts. It's probably best to keep your fingers crossed, but we understand if your hands are busy clutching those old plans as if your life depended on it."

22. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

Since Verizon has not officially said how this will all work, EVERYTHING is speculation at this point. Yes, we HOPE that we will stay grandfathered in even if we upgrade, renew, or switch to 4G, but there is currently no official confirmation. There ARE, however, different degrees of likelihood, in my opinion (which admittedly is just more speculation):

1) It's probably safe to assume there will be SOME kind of grandfathering. Obviously, if you are still under contract and stay with the same phone, you will keep Unlimited data. CERTAIN.

2) More than likely, if your contract runs out but you stay with the same phone, you will be able to keep the Unlimited data. VERY LIKELY.

3) It also appears likely that you will be able to keep Unlimited data if you upgrade a 3G phone to another 3G phone. This will be in line with what AT&T does. FAIRLY LIKELY.

4) What's NOT so clear is whether you will keep Unlimited data if you upgrade from a 3G phone to a 4G phone. Since the plans are priced the same, there's a chance will might be able to keep it. Then again, Verizon's track record lends credence to the belief that they may force you to switch to tiered, ESPECIALLY if the new iPhone is LTE (which is likely is not). UNCERTAIN.

5) Another uncertainty is HOW LONG they will let you keep Unlimited? They may let us stay Unlimited for one upgrade/renewal, but let's say a 4G iPhone comes out NEXT year. Will they still let you keep Unlimited? More than likely, you will eventually be forced to go Tiered at some point...

6) And finally, do we know if Tethering will affect this in any way? For example, on AT&T you MUST switch to tiered if you want Tethering. On Verizon, it APPEARS that you can add/remove the Personal Hotspot feature without modifying your plan, but that could possibly change after the tiered pricing goes into affect also. UNCERTAIN.

The question is whether Verizon will make all of this clear BEFORE the official changes take place?