Verizon unlimited data SIM switch work???

zeeyo987

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
I wanted to somehow confirm someone did this yet. If you got an iPhone through apple.com or best buy in the mail and did the switch sim trick were you able to get phone subsidized and keep unlimited data??? I'm still waiting for UPS

DrakeMcEachern

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
I wanted to somehow confirm someone did this yet. If you got an iPhone through apple.com or best buy in the mail and did the switch sim trick were you able to get phone subsidized and keep unlimited data??? I'm still waiting for UPS
Did this work for you?

Comment

ChrisStunner

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2014
What happens if you turn it on without swapping the sim card? I think nothing will happen as the phone is already unlockef out the box so any sim works with it.

Comment

makncoop

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2014
So. Cal
What happens if you turn it on without swapping the sim card? I think nothing will happen as the phone is already unlockef out the box so any sim works with it.
The sim is attached to your account so as soon as you turn the phone on, you're activating your new upgraded phone

Comment

Ivabign

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2011
SoCal
I have unlimited on my new iPhone 6 128gb - but my old SIM is inside....

Worked like a charm.

Comment

AutoLode

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2014
Jet City
what if we buy a "used" iPhone 6 Verizon and install our pre existing unlimited sim?

I'm looking at an iPhone 6 a lady bought from the Verizon store and they installed her sim to activate it but she put her sim back in her i5 and wants to sell her 6 for a quick flip

We are meeting at the Verizon store to verify the esn but I'm not sure I trust what Verizon might say

Comment

ChrisStunner

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2014
Doesn't matter what sim activated the phone. Any sim will work in this phone no matter what as long as it fits

Comment

skywalkerr69

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2011
New York
When you guys did it, what did you select on the Apple site? 2gb plan? Does it matter? Thinking of trying this tonight on the site.

Comment

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Savannah, GA
I ordered my 6+ on my wife's line. When it got here I never turned on the phone. I took out the SIM that came in it and put in mine. Booted the phone and it acted like it had been mine from the start. No change in my account and still have UDP.

Comment

makncoop

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2014
So. Cal
When you guys did it, what did you select on the Apple site? 2gb plan? Does it matter? Thinking of trying this tonight on the site.
I'm not sure what you're asking........From what I've read, when you order from the Apple site, it'll either give you the keep unlimited option OR you can just skip over it. The thing you need to make sure is this....

1. When you use your upgrade, the new sim card that comes with the phone will ultimately be the thing that changes your plan once its activated

2. The sim card follows your account, NOT the phone.

3. When you get your new iPhone DO NOT TURN IT ON!!!

4. You'll need to back up your current device and remove the sim.

5. Then, REMOVE THE SIM FROM THE NEW PHONE and discard it!!

6. Insert the sim from your old phone into the new one and then and ONLY then can you turn on the the NEW device.

7. follow the directions as normal and restore from a back up.

This should allow you to keep your UDP

Comment

makncoop

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2014
So. Cal
My story :)

Here is my UDP Story

I had 3 lines and no contract. 2 lines are UDP and 1 is a 2gb plan.

1. iphone 5 (UDP) Mine
2. iphone 4 (UDP) Husbands
3 iphone 4S (2gb) Daughters

I ordered 3 iPhone 6 on release date. When the phones arrived, I made sure each phone went to the corresponding # it was given to. This is important for my situation.

I took the sim from my 5 and put it in my 6. Kept my UDP.

I activated my daughters line like normal since she was on a 2gb plan.

For my husbands line, since he had the 4 with no data sim card, what we did was go into VZW and get a new sim card for my iP5. Had that new sim activated on his account. Since I wasn't using an upgrade on his line, it didn't change his plan. It was like buying a phone 3rd party. Once the new sim was attached to his account, we went home and removed the sim from the iP5 and inserted it into his new iP6. He then was able to keep his UDP. Now, our contract was extended 2 years, BUT because we NEVER activated the sim cards attached to the upgrade, we never lost the UDP. Our billing cycle ends on the 9th so we'll see if something changes then, but as of now we all have iP6's attached and activated on our account and we still have the UDP! YAY

Comment

whoathere

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2006
Rockford, IL
I'm not sure what you're asking........From what I've read, when you order from the Apple site, it'll either give you the keep unlimited option OR you can just skip over it. The thing you need to make sure is this....

1. When you use your upgrade, the new sim card that comes with the phone will ultimately be the thing that changes your plan once its activated

2. The sim card follows your account, NOT the phone.

3. When you get your new iPhone DO NOT TURN IT ON!!!

4. You'll need to back up your current device and remove the sim.

5. Then, REMOVE THE SIM FROM THE NEW PHONE and discard it!!

6. Insert the sim from your old phone into the new one and then and ONLY then can you turn on the the NEW device.

7. follow the directions as normal and restore from a back up.

This should allow you to keep your UDP
Are you saying this works when using your upgrade that is on the line with UDP?

Comment

whoathere

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2006
Rockford, IL
Well son of a B. I'm sitting here trying to work around the system. Still not sure if I want to try this or not. But I am definitely going to research this a bit more. I've got an order from VZW with an estimated ship date of 10/24 and I need another. Just can't order through my tiered data as it's currently waiting activation.

Comment

makncoop

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2014
So. Cal
Well son of a B. I'm sitting here trying to work around the system. Still not sure if I want to try this or not. But I am definitely going to research this a bit more. I've got an order from VZW with an estimated ship date of 10/24 and I need another. Just can't order through my tiered data as it's currently waiting activation.
crazy, right?! We researched the hell out of this too. I ordered all 3 phones from VZW, including the 2 on my UDP. I just never activated the sim that was sent with the phone. Just don't tell VZW what you're doing! LOL

Comment

whoathere

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2006
Rockford, IL
crazy, right?! We researched the hell out of this too. I ordered all 3 phones from VZW, including the 2 on my UDP. I just never activated the sim that was sent with the phone. Just don't tell VZW what you're doing! LOL
You even ordered this in the Verizon store and it worked? They have to know people are going to do that, or at least try. I thought using the upgrade at all to get the lower price would cause you to lose the UDP. We have a tiered data phone as well as 2 basic phones. So we've just been transferring upgrades from basic to the tiered, and getting the subsidized price, then doing it again to get the second UDP line a new phone.

Comment

makncoop

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2014
So. Cal
Yep. Ordered them via phone and went into the VZW store to get the new sim for my iPhone 5. I told the woman that under no circumstances was she to touch ANYTHING on my account, other than activate the new sim. I was sweating bullets the entire time she was on that stupid iPad doing the activation! LOL!!
They're not the brightest people in the world. Not one of them can give you the same info or answer as another! It's so frustrating! But we both have our UDP and didn't have to add additional lines

----------

You even ordered this in the Verizon store and it worked? They have to know people are going to do that, or at least try. I thought using the upgrade at all to get the lower price would cause you to lose the UDP. We have a tiered data phone as well as 2 basic phones. So we've just been transferring upgrades from basic to the tiered, and getting the subsidized price, then doing it again to get the second UDP line a new phone.
The upgrade is attached to the specific sim thats in the phone that's sent out. Not the phone itself

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.