Verizon unlimited data SIM switch work???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zeeyo987, Sep 19, 2014.

1. zeeyo987 macrumors regular

I wanted to somehow confirm someone did this yet. If you got an iPhone through apple.com or best buy in the mail and did the switch sim trick were you able to get phone subsidized and keep unlimited data??? I'm still waiting for UPS

2. DrakeMcEachern macrumors 6502

Did this work for you?

3. makncoop macrumors member

I ordered my phone through VZW, swapped the sim card from my iP5 to my iP6 and still have unlimited data

The key is NOT turning on your iP6 with the new sim card. You can only turn it on, once your old sim card has been inserted

4. DrakeMcEachern macrumors 6502

Yup. That's what I did and still have unlimited.

5. ChrisStunner macrumors member

What happens if you turn it on without swapping the sim card? I think nothing will happen as the phone is already unlockef out the box so any sim works with it.

6. maliu macrumors 6502a

You will lose your unlimited data plan.

7. PaythePiper macrumors member

8. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

This, I was too scared to try as now they can't just put you back on it if you return the phone.

9. makncoop macrumors member

The sim is attached to your account so as soon as you turn the phone on, you're activating your new upgraded phone

10. Ivabign macrumors 6502

Ivabign

I have unlimited on my new iPhone 6 128gb - but my old SIM is inside....

Worked like a charm.

11. AutoLode macrumors regular

AutoLode

what if we buy a "used" iPhone 6 Verizon and install our pre existing unlimited sim?

I'm looking at an iPhone 6 a lady bought from the Verizon store and they installed her sim to activate it but she put her sim back in her i5 and wants to sell her 6 for a quick flip

We are meeting at the Verizon store to verify the esn but I'm not sure I trust what Verizon might say

12. makncoop macrumors member

As long as you don't activate the Sim card that came with the iPhone six you will be fine

13. ChrisStunner macrumors member

Doesn't matter what sim activated the phone. Any sim will work in this phone no matter what as long as it fits

14. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

When you guys did it, what did you select on the Apple site? 2gb plan? Does it matter? Thinking of trying this tonight on the site.

15. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

I ordered my 6+ on my wife's line. When it got here I never turned on the phone. I took out the SIM that came in it and put in mine. Booted the phone and it acted like it had been mine from the start. No change in my account and still have UDP.

16. makncoop macrumors member

I'm not sure what you're asking........From what I've read, when you order from the Apple site, it'll either give you the keep unlimited option OR you can just skip over it. The thing you need to make sure is this....

1. When you use your upgrade, the new sim card that comes with the phone will ultimately be the thing that changes your plan once its activated

2. The sim card follows your account, NOT the phone.

3. When you get your new iPhone DO NOT TURN IT ON!!!

4. You'll need to back up your current device and remove the sim.

5. Then, REMOVE THE SIM FROM THE NEW PHONE and discard it!!

6. Insert the sim from your old phone into the new one and then and ONLY then can you turn on the the NEW device.

7. follow the directions as normal and restore from a back up.

This should allow you to keep your UDP

17. makncoop macrumors member

My story :)

Here is my UDP Story

I had 3 lines and no contract. 2 lines are UDP and 1 is a 2gb plan.

1. iphone 5 (UDP) Mine
    2. iphone 4 (UDP) Husbands
    3 iphone 4S (2gb) Daughters

I ordered 3 iPhone 6 on release date. When the phones arrived, I made sure each phone went to the corresponding # it was given to. This is important for my situation.

I took the sim from my 5 and put it in my 6. Kept my UDP.

I activated my daughters line like normal since she was on a 2gb plan.

For my husbands line, since he had the 4 with no data sim card, what we did was go into VZW and get a new sim card for my iP5. Had that new sim activated on his account. Since I wasn't using an upgrade on his line, it didn't change his plan. It was like buying a phone 3rd party. Once the new sim was attached to his account, we went home and removed the sim from the iP5 and inserted it into his new iP6. He then was able to keep his UDP. Now, our contract was extended 2 years, BUT because we NEVER activated the sim cards attached to the upgrade, we never lost the UDP. Our billing cycle ends on the 9th so we'll see if something changes then, but as of now we all have iP6's attached and activated on our account and we still have the UDP! YAY

18. whoathere macrumors 6502

whoathere

Are you saying this works when using your upgrade that is on the line with UDP?

19. makncoop macrumors member

yes

20. whoathere macrumors 6502

whoathere

Well son of a B. I'm sitting here trying to work around the system. Still not sure if I want to try this or not. But I am definitely going to research this a bit more. I've got an order from VZW with an estimated ship date of 10/24 and I need another. Just can't order through my tiered data as it's currently waiting activation.

21. makncoop macrumors member

crazy, right?! We researched the hell out of this too. I ordered all 3 phones from VZW, including the 2 on my UDP. I just never activated the sim that was sent with the phone. Just don't tell VZW what you're doing! LOL

22. whoathere macrumors 6502

whoathere

You even ordered this in the Verizon store and it worked? They have to know people are going to do that, or at least try. I thought using the upgrade at all to get the lower price would cause you to lose the UDP. We have a tiered data phone as well as 2 basic phones. So we've just been transferring upgrades from basic to the tiered, and getting the subsidized price, then doing it again to get the second UDP line a new phone.

23. makncoop macrumors member

Yep. Ordered them via phone and went into the VZW store to get the new sim for my iPhone 5. I told the woman that under no circumstances was she to touch ANYTHING on my account, other than activate the new sim. I was sweating bullets the entire time she was on that stupid iPad doing the activation! LOL!!
    They're not the brightest people in the world. Not one of them can give you the same info or answer as another! It's so frustrating! But we both have our UDP and didn't have to add additional lines

----------

The upgrade is attached to the specific sim thats in the phone that's sent out. Not the phone itself