Verizon Unlimited Data

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jmeisenb, Oct 10, 2011.

1. jmeisenb macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Just wondering but what is the deal with this whole grandfathered in with unlimited data plans? Doesn't that mean that if I had a blackberry with unlimited data and upgraded to the iPhone 4S that I can keep my unlimited data plan? Please explain before I call Verizon CS and talk to a robot for 20 minutes. Thanks so much

RIP Steve:apple:

2. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Yes you will be able to grandfather in the unlimited bb plan to regular unlimited smartphone data.

3. DannyTrose macrumors member

Same thing with me, used another lines upgrade in my family plan to order the phone. When I called before I ordered it he told me just to call before activating it. Only question I have about the whole thing is when I had to select a data plan when pre-ordering, hopefully I just have to call to keep my unlimited data plan. :\

Let me know if you get any answers, thanks.

4. jmeisenb thread starter macrumors newbie

mixed answers

Yes, I am seeing a lot of mixed answers where I don't think anybody really knows what is going to happen. When I preordered on apple.com I had to choose 2GB of data. I really don't think I will be able to continue having unlimited but fingers crossed

5. DannyTrose macrumors member

Might try to call them again. When pre-ordering through verizon I chose to keep the plan I am on now (family plan), but still had to choose a data plan for some reason. When I called the night before he said to just order it with a line that is eligible, then just call to have the phone activated on my current line with no change in the data plan.

6. jmeisenb thread starter macrumors newbie

Unlimited Data

Yeah. I have class with a kid who works at an Apple store so I will ask him if he knows and if not I will call Verizon.

7. PsychOK macrumors member

I've been a Verizon customer since the Alltel merger and was to my surprise given the option to keep the same unlimited data plan I have always had. Ordered online and just checked off unlimited data. It was that simple.

8. jmeisenb thread starter macrumors newbie

on verizon.com I'm guessing right? I ordered off apple.com where it was not an option. If it was an option on verizon.com then I should be all set if I just call them to have it kept

9. PsychOK macrumors member

Yes, off of Verizon.com

10. DannyTrose macrumors member

I ordered on verizon.com and their was no option to keep unlimited. So I just selected the 2GB plan and will call when activating to keep my original plan.

11. NM08SRT8 macrumors 6502a

NM08SRT8

Being grandfathered in just to get unlimited data.. lol, how sad.

12. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

I had the option to keep unlimited on Verizon. I also had the option to TRANSFER another lines upgrade to mine (which I did). Only thing is i'm not convinced the transfer worked, because the line which I transferred the upgrade from says "Device Needs to Be Activated (Activate When You Receive Device)"

13. DannyTrose macrumors member

Same, the line I used the transfer from says that. Also this is on the bottom of the order page.

"This device requires selection of a $30.00, $50.00 or $80.00 per month data service and a messaging option to process this order. If you currently have certain existing data or messaging options (e.g. Customers with $29.99/Unlimited data plan or a bundled plan with data and messaging) you can still place your order at this time, but such features may drop off your plan. Upon receipt of device & activation you can have your existing options put back on your plan by calling customer service at 1-800-922-0204."

14. sethypoo macrumors 68000

FWIW, I preordered my 32GB Black iPhone 4S on Verizon's website and I was able to keep my grandfathered unlimited data plan I got on my original Droid. My wife, who also preordered an iPhone 4S (her first smartphone!) had to chose a tiered data plan.

So I think if you want to preserve your data plan, it's best to order directly from Verizon.

15. DannyTrose macrumors member

Is your number the main number on the account? Maybe that has something to do with it because mine isn't.

16. sethypoo macrumors 68000

Nope, I am not the main number on the account. My wife isn't either.

17. PapaStu macrumors member

PapaStu

Basically the same for me and my wife. On her account she had an old Palm Treo w/ unlimited data. When she got her phone she was able to grandfather her data over. On my account which just had a 'feature' phone I had no option but to go with tiered data options. We both ordered our phones from the Verizon site, right as things were made available.

18. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

Be careful with the 2Gb data plan:

When I ordered a verizon iphone 4s from apple.com I didn't have an option for data plan, it simply inherited my unlimited plan from my account. Here's the problem:

If you activate a phone with a 2GB plan (and not an unlimited plan) it is almost impossible to reverse and is permanent. I don't know why but Verizon cannot change the plans once they are activated at 2gb so call them to change the plan BEFORE you activate!

You have been warned...

19. jmeisenb thread starter macrumors newbie

Resolved

Just spoke to Verizon CS. They told me that if you had unlimited data, it will automatically grandfather you over to keep it. I told him I would activate it at a Verizon store just so I can make sure it is all handled correctly.

20. ProMed12 macrumors member

Same here. I changed my minute/text plans when pre-ordering the 4S on vzw, but the unlimited data plan was pre-selected. However, I did still have the option to order the the 2gb plan for the same price as my unlimited plan or could also choose to pay more for the other tiered data plans. :)

21. LincolnsiPod macrumors 6502

For anyone who has to call Verizon to keep your unlimited from dropping, can you update us one you get the phone on how the process went? I'm planning to call them BEFORE I activate the phone even tough the their site told me to call after I receive and activate it. What a pain in the ass. I don't understand why this option wasn't available for me so I could avoid this rigamorale while it was for others.

22. LincolnsiPod macrumors 6502

Has anyone gotten their 4S yet and had to call Verizon to reactivate their unlimited plan? Can you let us know how it went?

23. jmeisenb thread starter macrumors newbie

Unlimited Data

Hello, if you preordered from apple.com and chose 2GB because you couldn't choose unlimited it is not automatic. I went into verizon to have them change my contacts and I also had them check my data. My phone was already activated so it wasn't a problem. Took 5 minutes with them on the phone with customer service and it was all set. SO JUST CHECK!!!

24. WhiteDuallyIL macrumors newbie

I was able to resign today and my iphone was grandfathered in

25. b24pgg macrumors 65816

This is one situation in which it would be better to buy the 4S from verizon.com rather than apple.com (another would be if you had a New Every Two discount since it's applied on the VZW site automatically)