verizon unlimited hotspot

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
Ha, I am completely clueless as to what this thread is even about. I mean, you guys might as well be speaking Japanese.
What's happening is we can access the carrier configure file and want to modify it so unlimited data plan users have access to hotspot.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
What's happening is we can access the carrier configure file and want to modify it so unlimited data plan users have access to hotspot.
In other words, getting something they are not entitled to. Because Verizon doesn't have the right to limit hotspot usage to metered plans.

Exhibit 2 of the entitlement culture. You guys realize it is 2014, and they have these things called "computers" that can detect this behavior.

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
will using itweakios and backupbot to edit the plist files work to enable this?
I text the itweakios people (phone number is on their website for questions) asking if it was possible to enable hotspot for verizon iPhone 6/6+ Unlimited data plan users and he responded with. "Unfortunately not at this time on iOS 8".

But I didn't message him about your idea...

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
From the article:

What if I have an old Verizon unlimited data plan? Can I download an app and avoid the $20 tethering fee too?

Unfortunately, the answer to this question is no. Verizon says that customers under the unlimited plan are required by the company's terms of service to pay an additional fee to tether their device.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
From the article:

What if I have an old Verizon unlimited data plan? Can I download an app and avoid the $20 tethering fee too?

Unfortunately, the answer to this question is no. Verizon says that customers under the unlimited plan are required by the company's terms of service to pay an additional fee to tether their device.
Not according to the entitled few around here. They want unlimited plan AND tethering, because they are entitled to it dang it. So what if Verizon doesn't allow it? They'll just hack the phone and hope Verizon doesn't catch them.

Brilliant.

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
Not according to the entitled few around here. They want unlimited plan AND tethering, because they are entitled to it dang it. So what if Verizon doesn't allow it? They'll just hack the phone and hope Verizon doesn't catch them.

Brilliant.
Look I get it, you don't like people taking advantage of the system. Glad you follow rules. But you're trolling at this point because you don't like that we chose to take advantage.

It is my choice and no amount of trolling will change my mind. There is a jailbreaking forum, go report that it exists to macrumors demigods.

ercsliberty

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011

Brilliant.
yes dude, we got you, now go away.

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
Per FCC rules, if you have an LTE phone you can use other apps to tether. That's why Verizon customers don't get charged fees when they have a jailbroken phone and find others ways to get tethering

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Here's the thing about UDP and tethering with Verizon.

If you want to pay the fee for mobile hotspot, it costs $30 a month for 2GB or $50 for 5GB and by paying this fee to enable mobile hotspot on your VZW phone, they take away your UDP!!!!!!!!!! I was on the phone with them about this trying to figure this out....there is no way to pay VZW a fee to use your UDP or even a portion of it while getting a mobile hotspot without going Android, JB, or whatever this option is that I am very interested to hear more about...

----------

Per FCC rules, if you have an LTE phone you can use other apps to tether. That's why Verizon customers don't get charged fees when they have a jailbroken phone and find others ways to get tethering
Can you confirm this somehow with a source? I'm on Android and use a tethering app and try to be somewhat cautious to not draw too much attention to my data usage (about 7-11GB a month), a VZW store employee told me they do monitor this stuff and could take away your UDP or charge you per their terms of service....

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Look I get it, you don't like people taking advantage of the system. Glad you follow rules. But you're trolling at this point because you don't like that we chose to take advantage.

It is my choice and no amount of trolling will change my mind. There is a jailbreaking forum, go report that it exists to macrumors demigods.

That's a great way to rationalize stealing. I get it. And you are a little sensitive when being called out for theft. I can dig that.

Good luck with your "choice".

----------

yes dude, we got you, now go away.

Sure thing. Right away.

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
Just so people can read what I posted but got lost in the verbal attack...

"I text the itweakios people (phone number is on their website for questions) asking if it was possible to enable hotspot for verizon iPhone 6/6+ Unlimited data plan users and he responded with. "Unfortunately not at this time on iOS 8".

But I didn't message him about your idea..."

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
That's a great way to rationalize stealing.
Okay, seriously, while I dislike the people who abuse the unlimited data (the ones who were the impetus behind the shift away from unlimited), they're not stealing. Verizon and AT&T both made the mistake of offering unlimited plans without anticipating the skyrocketing demand for data, and that's on them. They added on all the caveats and clauses after the fact.

If someone is supposed to use a tap for water and uses a hose instead, they're not stealing, they're just using more than the company wants them to.

And for the record, I'm in Canada and have a 6gb plan so this isn't personal, for me :p

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
verizon unlimited hotspot

Okay, seriously, while I dislike the people who abuse the unlimited data (the ones who were the impetus behind the shift away from unlimited), they're not stealing...they're just using more than the company wants them to.

Ok, so I can walk into a store and pay for 1 shirt, but I walk out with 5, and that's not stealing. That's just walking out with more than what the company wants me to?

The terms of service for "unlimited" data are crystal clear and always have been. People just choose to not read them, hang their hat on the word "unlimited", and whine away.

Oh. My. God.

The rationalization of this behavior is just amazing.

You are right. It's because of people doing this what we don't have unlimited plans anymore, and hello throttling. The free ride won't last forever. Enjoy it while it does.

Wow.

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Ok, so I can walk into a store and pay for 1 shirt, but I walk out with 5, and that's not stealing. That's just walking out with more than what the company wants me to?
Nice false analogy, there.

A truer comparison would be someone going to an 'all you can eat' buffet, only to be told that they can't eat all they want, or they can only obtain food through a straw, etc.

I mean, you can continue on with your crusade of defending these huge, billion dollar companies from the strenuous effort of dealing with people who tether on their unlimited plans, but trust me - the only thing they care about is maximising profit. It's like home internet here in Canada - they only stopped offering unlimited once people actually started using enough to matter.

Also, I don't know why you're telling me to 'enjoy the free ride' because as I said, I live in Canada and this doesn't impact me. I'm giving you my opinion as an outsider.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.