Verizon Upgrade Fee Changes 4/4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JoshGlzBrk, Mar 31, 2016.

1. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

Seems ridiculous that it applies even to Apple's completely separate upgrade program.

[​IMG]

2. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Sure am glad to be done with the carrier game and all the bogus fee's they charge / increase.

Bought an unlocked SIM free SE this morning and feeling quite liberated :)

3. HEK Suspended

HEK

Pure greed. We will provide the same lousy customer service experience as always. Just charge more for it now.

Why you ask? Because we can.

4. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Is it bad? Yup. Are they doing it out of greed? Most likely.

That being said, I've never had anything but positive customer service exchanges (YMMV).

Also, their data/cellular is by far the fastest and most stable where I am.

5. gurase macrumors regular

So glad I dumped Verizon over 2 years ago! Speak with your wallet...

6. emilioestevez, Mar 31, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2016

emilioestevez Suspended

emilioestevez

7. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Who cares... It's only $20.

People aren't on Verizon to save money. They have it because they have fantastic coverage and the service always works.

Can't say the same about SprintMobile.

8. off_piste macrumors 6502a

That's absurd. I can activate my phone online with employee assistance. And $20? They're charging $20 for a HS diploma to do 5 minutes of work? FFS.

So what's the difference between the customer provided equipment category and the Apple Store upgrade? How can they justify the difference?

9. puma1552 macrumors 601

i think its dumb you can no longer do an early upgrade, forget the fee. pretty asinine that if you are 18-19 months in you have to pay an absurd, back-end weighted ETF (its north of $200 still even this late into the contract) to upgrade your phone.

if you're going to do away with early upgrades (like all carriers have), wheres the incentive for me to stay with you? if you make me wait til the end of my contract to get a new phone rather than roping me in to a new phone/early upgrade and a contract extension to go with it, then why shouldnt i just go to a different carrier when my contract is up? youve literally taken away one of the only incentives that probably retained a lot of business, since people often will put up with the service to get a new phone early if they just have to do a contract extension.

10. turbineseaplane macrumors 68030

turbineseaplane

11. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

These fees have no value to the customer, it is literally just a way to boost earnings, the execs who come up with these ideas should be fired solely because that upgrade fee is the best thing that they can think of to boost profits.

12. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

What's even worse is the fee applies even if you pay in full for the phone. I smell a class action lawsuit coming down the pike in a few years.

13. electronicsguy macrumors 6502a

electronicsguy

They wouldn't have to play all these games if people just outright bought phones at full price... but no. people want "free" phones... how do you propose they make a profit? they have to amortize that cost by charging for related services, even if it doesn't make sense.

imagine a world where carriers in the US don't sell phones anymore ... BYOD on all carriers... simple. you'll just be paying for the monthly service. no contracts, ETF, upgrade fees, etc etc etc. But people have voted against that with their wallets.

14. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

If you're going to institute a fee like this, at least give one solid reason for doing so.. They have not done that.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 31, 2016 ---
    To be fair, for many of us, that's just what we grew up with. I grew up instructed to sign a 2 year contract and get a phone at a discounted rate.. It's just "the way it is".

Want to know whose fault that is? The CARRIERS. You can't expect years and years of doing business a certain way to be completely forgotten by the general public. It'll take some time..

15. ilovedjvinny macrumors newbie

att atleast takes care of the loyal members they have. Each year they waive my fees. Been with att ever since first iPhone

16. electronicsguy macrumors 6502a

electronicsguy

Well to be fair... the "carrier" T-mobile did try to change everything and shake up the market... but even then its people who don't support them. so what do you do now?

17. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

There is no more loyalty. That goes both for the business and the customer.

18. radiohead14 macrumors 6502a

same. even let go of my grandfathered unlimited. just couldn't stand them anymore. happier with T-Mobile now.

19. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Everyone wants to save money. The last time Verizon added a frivolous charge there was backlash to the point that they took it away.

Remember saying Verizon didn't need wifi calling too?
    [​IMG]

20. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

But why would I support a carrier whose rural coverage is so shatty that they don't even have a store in the area?

21. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

And I'm still saying it. Verizon (and AT&T) really don't need WiFi calling. Their customers have been using their superior services without it for years.

It's just an excuse for Sprint and TMobile to invest less into their networks.

22. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

While I'm a long-time VZW customer and generally a fan, you've obviously never lived/worked in a basement or old brick and mortar building.

23. aneftp macrumors 601

Apple runs their own program (IPhone upgrade program). Apple foots the bill (along with the 3rd party bank apple uses)

The iPhone upgrade program is independent of Verizon.

Those iphones are supposely "unlocked".

How can Verizon "charge" $20 upgrade fee?

24. electronicsguy macrumors 6502a

electronicsguy

fine so keep paying thru the nose for every little thing... just don't complain about it, that's all. you can't have it both ways.

25. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I'm sorry, but when have I started a thread complaining about it? My family pays $92/mo. for 2 iPhones on unlimited talk+text and more than enough data. Not exactly paying through the nose now is it?

Get your facts straight before lecturing someone else and watch out when you get off of that high horse. That first step is a doozy.