Verizon Users Using MyWi; Is Verizon Truly Unlimited?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HappyDude20, Jun 19, 2011.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Everyone in my family has an iPhone, except for myself. MY folks' love their iPhones, a surprise considering my parents aren't the most technology literate.

Anyways, they have iPhones with unlimited data plans; something that is very appealing to me. I understand Verizon has announced they'll soon be stopping the unlimited data plan offer and move to tiered plans and pricing.

I have an iPad and kills me when i'm constantly out and about without an internet connection. I'm also currently using a Verizon dumbphone, of which the keys don't always work and looks beaten up. Naturally, I'm wanting to grab a Verizon iPhone.

My concern (as i'm sure you've reached this conclusion already) is whether MyWi can indeed be used on Verizon's network w/o waving a red flag to Verizon?

Then again, I'm thinking about waiting for the new iPhone to come out, whether its this summer or during the iPod fall lineup.

My upgrade date for Verizon is 12/26/2011, but don't really wanna wait that long. Iono.

I hate the cell phone companies. :p

2. Pmoser macrumors member

verizons unlimted data ends sometime this summer your upgrade is the end of winter im afraid your out of lucky unless your willing to pay 600 dollars. To answer your question though it is unlimited and you will only be noticed if you are using insane amounts like 5 gb or more

3. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I'm seeing iPhone 4's for $300-$400 on eBay & CraigsList, but I'm afraid the new 4S would be coming out in the fall, or even sooner as seen in previous summers.

4. MRiOS macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (webOS/1.4.5.1; U; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.0 Safari/532.2 Pixi/1.1)

I was in a similar situation last month. I wanted the unlimited data and the new iphone supposedly due out in september. I had read that if I bought a cheap phone that required data I'd be able to grandfather into unlimited data since my contract ends about the same time as yours.
    I bought a Palm Pixi Plus off of newegg for about $60 off contract and activated it on my line. In addition to the $29.99 unlimited data, the verizon rep said that the pixi also gets included, for no extra cost, a 5GB tethering option as well. I still have my upgrades available for the upcoming iphone and I get unlimited data. (the rep couldn't answer if the tethering would grandfather as well.)
    I've been very happy with the Pixi Plus, and am eagerly awaiting the release of the new iphone while utilizing unlimited data.

posted from palm pixi plus.

5. MRiOS macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (webOS/1.4.5.1; U; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.0 Safari/532.2 Pixi/1.1)

I was in a similar situation last month. I wanted the unlimited data and the new iphone supposedly due out in september. I had read that if I bought a cheap phone that required data I'd be able to grandfather into unlimited data since my contract ends about the same time as yours.
    I bought a Palm Pixi Plus off of newegg for about $60 off contract and activated it on my line. In addition to the $29.99 unlimited data, the verizon rep said that the pixi also gets included, for no extra cost, a 5GB tethering option as well. I still have my upgrades available for the upcoming iphone and I get unlimited data. (the rep couldn't answer if the tethering would grandfather as well.)
    I've been very happy with the Pixi Plus, and am eagerly awaiting the release of the new iphone while utilizing unlimited data.

posted from palm pixi plus.

6. Weiser878 macrumors regular

I don't use Verizon so I don't have a dog in this fight, but I'd like to call attention to the inflamitory language you've used and discourage everyone here to stop it.

5GB isn't "insane usage" I regularly use 7-9GB without tethering.
    Getting people to think that just using their phone is "insane usage" is how they're changing public perception so they can kill unlimited data.
    "No one needs over 2GB"

7. ESPN macrumors regular

It is, people like you that comprises 5% of the population uses 50% of the bandwidth to slow down the net for us.

Its good that there are cap limits now. 200Mb is not enough but 2GB is the sweet spot for 95% of people out there.

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Buy a Palm Pixi for Verizon Wireless on Newegg for $45. Activate the phone and lock in your unlimited data. When you upgrade in the fall, you will be able to continue the unlimited data plan.

Otherwise, if you are not so concerned with the latest tech, just buy an iPhone 4 now.

9. zflauaus macrumors 65816

This is what seems to be going down.

Only July 7th (rumored by a good source on Twitter), Verizon will introduce tiered data. If you currently have the iPhone 4 activated, you have unlimited data on 3G. If, however, you activate a new 4G phone (iPhone 4S/5 perhaps?), you will lose your unlimited data and be dropped to tiered data. I'm unsure what happens if you sign a new contract after 7/7, but I would assume your unlimited data would be dropped then.

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

well on Verizon if you are tethering (using MyWi) it is already teared for that data. You get like 2 or 4 gigs of tethered data and unlimited phone pnly data.

11. budafied macrumors member

Early upgrade!

FWIW:

I know Verizon has (or had?) a tendency to allow you to upgrade early with discounted prices if you are going from a dumbphone to a smartphone. I know it was easy to do say 6-8 months ago. So despite you being eligibile in December, if you go into a store or call their customer service line, there's a decent chance they'll let you pay upgrade price on a smartphone today. This is a good idea for them because they get an extra $30 a month.

No guarantees, but it's probably worth an inquiry.

12. zflauaus macrumors 65816

Err, not so much. The only way you get charged for tethering is if you pay for the $20/2GB tethering addons and use the official tethering feature. MyWi uses your existing plan to tether ($30/unlimited data).

13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Well the it is in violation of the TOS and Verizon would have every right to charge you per kb, and terminate your contract and force you to pay etf.

14. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I agree. I for one am one that encourages unlimited use for all. I was astonished to discover other countries like canada impose limits on their home internet use. I'm checking iStat on my MBP now and it states i've downloaded over 27GB's worth of content from the internet...and this is just simple web browsing, youtube, hulu, netflix, etc. (27GB's within the past 3 days). This isn't accounting for the other Mac on the same network, 2 iPhones and an iPad.

I certainly use a lot of data on my iPad, but one ATT got rid of the unlimited plan I decided to not get the 3G version.

As for my current situation dealing with Verizon, I'm still mentally debating whether I should be picking up a smartphone (from NewEgg or eBay) such as the Palm phone you mentioned, which for $45 I think is a steal. But my concern is whether if I really need unlimited data in the end.

I'll begin to attend UCLA this fall and am aware their housing and (most of their) campus provide free WiFi. Aside, i'd only need data on the road for GPS-like maps and needing directions. Obviously money plays a role here.

I guess only time will tell on what i'll end up doing. Iono. I hate dilemmas like these. This would be so much simpler if I was a millionaire.

15. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I have a Verizon phone and I've been using mywi on it for a while now without an issue. I think as long as you don't abuse it, you should be okay. I try to stay below 2gb a month and limit tethering to less than 200 mb of that.

16. Pmoser macrumors member

Again you should be safe as long as you dont abuse it. That is my experiance at least with verizon.