Verizon Website Hinting at an iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mr. Incredible, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Mr. Incredible macrumors 6502a

I'm at the Verizon website, and I noticed this:

http://phones.verizonwireless.com/4g/

Right next to where it says,What Does Verizon 4G LTE Mean For You?, It says: "It means seamless video conferencing." :confused::eek:

I don't think that Verizon has a smartphone capable of video conferencing, and I'm not sure if the 4G LTE is just for phones or what, but..

I honestly think that Verizon is hinting at an iPhone being released with their 4G LTE network next year! :D

2. mrkramer Suspended

mrkramer

there are other phones that have video conferencing just not a lot. Also isn't facetime wifi only so that wouldn't be hinting at it.

3. Mr. Incredible thread starter macrumors 6502a

You're telling me that Verizon has phones with Video Conferencing? I haven't seen any, can you please tell me which ones they are?

And I know that FaceTime is with WiFi only (thats the only reason iPhone 4 is holding me back), but I think that when its released to Verizon, it will be on a faster network (4G), and users will be able to use FaceTime on 4G, and NOT only WiFi.

4. mrkramer Suspended

mrkramer

No, I'm telling you that the iPhone is not the only phone in the world with video conferencing, and them putting that on there is not necessarily referring to the iPhone. It's just reffiering to one possible use of it's 4G network on new devices.

5. lovecats macrumors newbie

I am puzzled too

6. Mr. Incredible thread starter macrumors 6502a

I agree that the iPhone isn't the only phone in the world with video conferencing, but Verizon does not have a video conferencing phone. iPhone could be the first phone to offer this on the Verizon network, once their 4G network arrives.

7. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

This is pure market speak, it has nothing to do with the iPhone. Telecos are the masters of BS.

8. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

That is quite a stretch.

Some marketing person putting that up there means nothing. As for your argument that no other phones Verizon has can do video conferencing... if they were even referring to a specific phone.. what makes you think it is the iPhone? Other new phones can't come with it? What really makes you think they are referring to a phone at all? What about a 4G laptop card?

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Sometimes a sentence on a website is just a sentence.
    It's not always about Apple or their iPhone.

10. Mr. Incredible thread starter macrumors 6502a

I agree with you on that. I'm not sure if the message that they are sending is the video conferencing on a phone or for a Laptop. But I do know this: the iPhone is the only phone that has been heavily marketed for its Video Conferencing. So consumers (like Me, and maybe you) will believe that it could be the iPhone for Verizon.

Plus, there are all these other rumors and the WSJ and the NYT giving us "news" on the iPhone coming out to Verizon.

And like you said, it could be video conferencing on a different phone, probably a droid, since it is Verizon's leading smartphone OS.

11. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I'll believe Verizon is getting the iPhone when I see it for sale on their website, until then it's all talk.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

There's a picture of a plane on that web page. You think Verizon will launch an airline?

13. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    They would far more likely be referring to the idea of video calls to your laptop.

You have to remember that until recently, with more public awareness of 3G/4G, Verizon really wasn't that interested in LTE phones.

Verizon was originally more into LTE equipped cameras, portable or automotive hotspots, home networks where FiOS isn't available, and so forth. Basically things that actually could use the bandwidth _and_ have the room for a decent power supply.

Btw, a general rule of thumb that I've seen from studies, says that above 3-4Mbps, web browsing doesn't gain as much speed, due to delays in the TCP protocol, internet routers and even the webservers.

14. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

Nope, but perhaps they're hinting at Verizon possibly supporting Apple's new MacBook Air....plane. Yup that's got to be it.

15. bstpierre macrumors 6502

Those same rumors say that the Verizon iPhone will not support LTE.

16. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

VeriPhone is a done deal.

No need to search for obtuse references to tip that info. Try NY Times and WSJ.

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Please provide one shred of fact in either of those articles about an iphone coming to Verizon.

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I swear if my dog were to crap in my neighbor's yard, some would take it as an indication that Verizon was getting the iPhone.

Agreed. Until Apple or Verizon announce it, all of this is just nonsense.

19. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I think you meant to say "one shred of proof".

Anyway, since when did the iPhone and Video Conferencing become synonymous?? Being the admin of a Video Conferencing system, I'm going to say this is for 4G aircards connected to laptops. Any other assumption of it referring to an iPhone is a major stretch.

20. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Apple will not release iPhone LTE to verizon next year...
    People just can't get over some facts. Just like Retina display iPad won't happen. LTE iphone will not come out until 2012 or 2013 at best.

21. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Dude, please stop it with the "fact" thing. No need to bring that discussion over to this thread.

In regards to the OP, it's just a sentence. This is what happens when you have a one track mind. You will read into everything as being related to what's on your mind.

22. jacollins macrumors 6502a

Didn't you know? All the Verizon 4G phones support it. Oh wait, they don't have any 4G phones yet... :) Minor marketing details!

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No way, that definately means Verizon is getting the iphone.
    It also has a picture of an Asian lady hinting that the Verizon iphone is beeing produced right now as we speak in China:D

24. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Hey man, you'd better check your FACTS! This is a public forum and I can bring the FACT discussion over here if I like. :rolleyes:

:D

25. rk1991 macrumors regular

Actually Verizon has 4G phones. The HTC EVO 4G.

BTW it also has a front facing camera so it can be used for video call.
    And if I am not mistaken there is an article somewhere that stated that the next iphone will not be on LTE. I believe his point was valid because its similar to the fact that the original iphone was on edge despite 3G being available back then.