Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ashenfang

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2012
Sorry if this is kind of a long read, but I have NEVER had such a terrible experience and honestly, really have no idea how to proceed.

On launch day, like many others, I stayed up until 3am to place two pre-orders for the iphone 6+. Both orders had a ship by date of 10/7.

On 9/15/14, I received an email telling me that one of my orders had been cancelled. I immediately called to which they told me that the order wasn't cancelled and that the order was still in process.

On 9/16/14 I received another email telling me that the order was confirmed cancelled. I called again, but this time they told me that the order was indeed cancelled by them, but they were unable to determine why. My other order was still processing just fine. I asked for a supervisor who said they would look into it and call me back - but never did.

On 9/18/14, after waiting for them to call me back, I decided to place a new order. This time the ship date was 10/24/14. Received my confirmation email and accepted the terms and conditions email.

On 9/26/14, I received my first order that I placed that I had no trouble with. (somewhat pleased that it came early.)

Over the last couple of weeks, I would periodically check my order that I had placed on 9/18, no movement, would just say processing with a ship date of 10/24. I figured ok, this is normal and will patiently wait for my order to ship. (Keep in mind this order was for my wife, a birthday present that was SUPPOSED to come by end of Sept.)

Fast forward to 10/22. I received an email from Verizon saying my order was on hold and that I needed to call the credit department to provide more information. Upon placing this call I was told there was no problem with the order and no reason that I should have received the email. They told me the order was fine and would ship 10/24. I started checking the iconic order status and my charge card waiting for the verizon wireless charge to show up. I know that once the card is charged, a tracking number isn't far behind. By the end of the day 10/24, my card had not been charged, but my order status changed to "Processing your order, payment not yet taken". Thinking there was obviously a problem, I called Verizon and explained the entire story to them. The customer service rep was nice and very helpful. She located the order and said she could tell there was a problem and that the order had indeed NOT SHIPPED.

She placed me on hold for a good 20 minutes while she discussed the order with the credit department. When she returned, she said the problem was THEIR FAULT and that when I had called two days prior and spoke with the credit department, the rep forgot to check mark a box to send the order on its way. She then proceeded to tell me that they had the order fixed, pushed my order to the front of the line, added next day shipping, and that the order would ship out saturday and the phone would be at my door step on Monday, 10-27 GUARANTEED. She also indicated I would receive an email from Verizon in the next couple of hours to verify what she was tell me.

Well, guess what? No such email ever came and my order status remained the same. On Saturday 10-26 I called yet again and explained all the previous encounters about this order. This wasn't as helpful but still investigated the order and explained she could "verify" through the notes and paperwork on their end, that what I was told was accurate. They had pushed the order to the front of the line, but there was not shipping information yet and no charge to my credit card. She ended the conversation saying, "The phone could still ship today, but if it doesn't, it says here that your order will ship 10/28, so at the latest, you would have it Thursday." I explained to her that my ship date has always been 10/24 but she couldn't explain why the change in the date.

I watched the iconic order status all weekend and into Monday with no change. Monday 10/27, I called again. This rep was helpful and polite, listened to my entire story and could sense my frustration. After a long hold, she came back to tell me she had been discussing the order with supervision as well as the credit department. It was determined that the reason there has been no movement on my order because, "The previous rep. who looked into this order for you apparently COMPLETED THE ORDER AS SHIPPED, therefore the system saw this as a completed order. Had you not called, your order would have never shipped. This is completely our fault."

I was astounded and beyond ticked. The rep told me that supervision was cancelling my previous order and placing a new order to be shipped 10/29 via next day air. She appologized at least a dozen times and went on and on about how it was their fault and couldn't believe the mess they created with my order. I asked her, "Well this is great and all, but if they are creating a new order, will i have to wait yet another month and a half to receive my phone that I have already waited 45 days for?????"

She said no, it was being expedited, pushed infront of everyone else, and next day aired and that I would receive an email within the hour to accept the terms and conditions again, as well as document the new order number. I thanked her and waited.

The email came about two hours later, I accepted the terms and conditions, an my order went into processing yesterday afternoon. I checked the iconic order status this morning and just chuckled at what I was seeing.

"Your order has been received and is in process, your expected ship date is 11/21"

Im done. I don't know what else to do. Over the last week I have called Verizon nearly a dozen times for the same reason. I just want the phone I pre-ordered, why is that so difficult to complete? I haven't called them today, and frankly, will just be told lies and made promises that Verizon won't keep.

I have a large personal account. I have 10 lines and pay almost $600/mo, yet am treated like I am barely a customer.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have a large personal account. I have 10 lines and pay almost $600/mo, yet am treated like I am barely a customer.
I probably would have moved on to another a carrier shortly after the first couple of incidents.

While the customer support is certainly lacking, why reward them with your business.

infantrytrophy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
You should consider AT&T. The family share plan with 40 GB data (current promotion doubles the 20 GB plan) costs $150/mo plus $40/device, or $25/device if off-contract. Unlimited talk & text for all. And it's not hard to find a discount "FAN" code, available for a number of categories, including veterans, employees/affiliates of many companies, etc.

After 10 years with Verizon, switched to AT&T 8 months ago and couldn't be happier. Good signal everywhere I have traveled (several states), good customer service every time I've called, much less cost for shared data plan than VZW, especially if you "BYOD" or buy devices off-contract. Over the past year ATT has been much quicker to respond to competition (mostly from TMob) than VZW.

I bought my iPhone 6 directly from Apple, no hassles, arrived quickly. Very glad to be rid of VZW after 10 years. I never had good signal at my home, called customer service many times over 10 years and got the run-around similar to what you described.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Im done. I don't know what else to do. Over the last week I have called Verizon nearly a dozen times for the same reason. I just want the phone I pre-ordered, why is that so difficult to complete? I haven't called them today, and frankly, will just be told lies and made promises that Verizon won't keep.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly, and expecting different results.

After the second flub, I would've just taken my chances at Apple stores, or ordered online with Apple.

----------

Switch carriers?

He has 10 lines to switch.

One line is all he has had trouble with.

It'll still send a message. What's to say he won't eventually have issues with the other 9 lines?

Sorry to say, but Verizon has gotten increasingly full of themselves, resting on the laurels of their creaky network.

*KID*

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Boston, MA
Switch carriers?

He has 10 lines to switch.

One line is all he has had trouble with.

10 LINES - 1 account. A problem is a problem. Repeatedly calling about the
same issue over & over is a big problem. Repeatedly being told it's resolved when it isn't - another big problem.

How often do we really call our carriers? I would switch unless
you are getting some fabulous deal that others don't offer. Another carrier would happy to have your 10 lines.

VZ wireless customer service has always been horrible in
my experience and is ultimately why I left them years ago - that
and they weren't offering anything I couldn't get somewhere else
cheaper. Customer service or lack of counts.

MsRandall

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2011
Bay Area, Ca
Although I know the constant calling is a pain - if you look at other threads you will see ATT and Tmobile are having the same issues with canceled orders etc

Have you tthought about going to a retail store and securing the phone you want ??? I ordered a 6+ got tired of waiting and used idevicechecker and found what I wanted at a bb and cancelled my Verizon order

Good luck OP

*KID*

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Boston, MA
ANY carrier can make mistakes, even Verizon. I have been happy with AT&T from the CIngular days and never had a problem, but that does not mean it can not happen.

Of course anyone can make a mistake. 5 calls of being promised something that doesn't happen and a supervisor who never calls back when they said they would isn't just a little mistake, sorry, it's crappy customer service at it's best.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Of course anyone can make a mistake. 5 calls of being promised something that doesn't happen and a supervisor who never calls back when they said they would isn't just a little mistake, sorry, it's crappy customer service at it's best.

No doubt, no argument there and if the same had happened to me, I would also be pissed.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
ANY carrier can make mistakes, even Verizon. I have been happy with AT&T from the CIngular days and never had a problem, but that does not mean it can not happen.

I've been with AT&T since the Cingular days as well. Mistakes do happen, especially anytime a new iPhone is released. It's just a mess for a lot of people!

ashenfang

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2012
Believe me, switching carriers is something that crossed my mind on more than one occassion, but isn't really an option simply because of the amount of lines I have. Each of my lines are with family members, some of which are out of state. Secondly, each line has different contract end dates because they were not all added at the same time.

I guess the point of this post was simply to vent my frustrations and to present the terrible experience I have had - with the hope that maybe somebody had any suggestions I haven't tried.

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
Although I know the constant calling is a pain - if you look at other threads you will see ATT and Tmobile are having the same issues with canceled orders etc

Have you tthought about going to a retail store and securing the phone you want ??? I ordered a 6+ got tired of waiting and used idevicechecker and found what I wanted at a bb and cancelled my Verizon order

Good luck OP

Ditto.

After my launch day BS with Verizon, both in-store and over the phone, I immediately became determined to get my phone sooner. I used idevicechecker and 6 days and a 2 hour drive later, I had my phone. Even a month later, Verizon still shipped a phone to me... that turned out to be someone else's phone! It's on its way back to Verizon now and someone, somewhere is waiting even longer for their phone. Ridiculous.

I know a lot of these problems are stemming from a number of factors involved in this iPhone launch. However, this isn't the first rodeo for these carriers. They need to have competent staff on hand, proper procedures in place, their systems ready to handle the influx, and the software in place to track orders, billing, and shipments enough to where if a customer calls in with questions, a true answer and final solution can be given. They may not have control over the supply logistics of Apple, but they do have control over what's going on inside their own company.

dishfan82

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2014
I too left Verizon.... Their customer service has really gone downhill over the years. They just see their customers as $$$ instead of a person. I would just cancel your order and switch carriers. No need to put up with this nonsense.

ashenfang

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2012
Update:

So I checked the order status (generic one) and now the ship date says 9/19/14, wtf? I have no comprehension as to how Verizon's system even manages to get out orders with this mess.

I then check the iconic order status, and the iconic status says "C", which just means in process.

I call Verizon Wireless and get right to the point and give them the order number and ask why I still have no tracking information and my card is still not charged, even though, I was told yesterday, it would ship today.

Basically, the order is in and approved for "jump the line" but will process when "quantities become available with next shipment of phones". They wouldn't even give me a time frame, rather, just said "sooner than 11/21"

I told them that as a billion dollar corporation, they should be able to fullfill orders for their own screw ups and customer satisfaction. Not sell every phone they have only to make people who have already been waiting a month and a half, wait even longer.

She kept appologizing and I said if I don't have this device in my hand by Friday, then I will be calling in to find out what I have to pay to move my 10 lines to ATT. I appreciate the effort that these last couple CSR's have put in to correct the problem, but it shouldn't have taken 3 weeks for someone to finally figure it out. And through all this, they have never offered a credit toward my account. :rolleyes:

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
And through all this, they have never offered a credit toward my account. :rolleyes:

Honestly, I would ask for one. Now, ask for it nicely, but just explain that they have wasted hours of your time and that you do not feel as though your business or your time is appreciated and you would like some compensation.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC

Sorry for your issues. That scenario would drive anyone crazy. However, you should realize you are not a "big customer" to a company like Verizon. $600 a month is nothing. A "big customer" to them are businesses and corporations. Personal accounts are pennies on the dollar to them.

ashenfang

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2012
Sorry for your issues. That scenario would drive anyone crazy. However, you should realize you are not a "big customer" to a company like Verizon. $600 a month is nothing. A "big customer" to them are businesses and corporations. Personal accounts are pennies on the dollar to them.

And I understand that. However, any business should recognize any customer regardless of how much they are paying, because in the end, a million small customers who pay 100 bucks a month that leave because of piss poor customer service, is just as bad as loosing a "large" customer.

McPc

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2012
CA
Update:
... And through all this, they have never offered a credit toward my account. :rolleyes:

Jeez, just when you think you can sleep like a baby Verizon keeps dropping the ball here. Did you get charged a $30 upgrade fee? If you did maybe you could at least get that waived?

Guess this is another reason to order directly from Apple rather than thru the carrier.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
10 LINES - 1 account. A problem is a problem. Repeatedly calling about the
same issue over & over is a big problem. Repeatedly being told it's resolved when it isn't - another big problem.

How often do we really call our carriers? I would switch unless
you are getting some fabulous deal that others don't offer. Another carrier would happy to have your 10 lines.

VZ wireless customer service has always been horrible in
my experience and is ultimately why I left them years ago - that
and they weren't offering anything I couldn't get somewhere else
cheaper. Customer service or lack of counts.

So move everyone in the account to ATT and get all new phones and pay to port numbers, or don't port numbers and set up new numbers with all associated businesses?

That seems more like a big problem than one phone not being delivered, no?

I'm sure the phone delivery will be resolved with some credit for his troubles?

infantrytrophy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
It's $15/device if off contract.

Yes, absolutely correct. It's $25 off (or "discount") for each device that is BYOD or off-contract, resulting in cost of $15. Thanks for the correction.

Point is, ATT is much more competitive in price than VZW, especially in the last year or so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.