Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Verizon today announced that it is ahead of schedule with its rollout of 5G Ultra Wideband technology, and that the faster speed 5G will cover 175 million people by the end of the year.

5g-verizon.jpg

Both Verizon and AT&T were able to expand their 5G networks in January with the deployment of C-Band 5G spectrum. Verizon pledged to bring 5G Ultra Wideband connectivity to 1,700 cities in January, covering over 100 million people. Verizon says that its accelerated goal of reaching 175 million people at the end of 2022 has been made possible by "the incredible pace of deployment achieved by Verizon's network engineering team."

5G Ultra Wideband from Verizon is up to 10x faster than LTE speeds and can hit speeds of more than a gigabit per second.

Verizon today also announced a new "+play" feature for subscribers, offering a "direct-to-consumer platform" to allow users to discover, purchase, and manage their favorite subscriptions in one place, similar to Apple TV Channels. Verizon customers will have access to exclusive deals through partnerships with Disney+, Netflix, Peloton, and others. +play is set to launch later this year.

Article Link: Verizon's 5G Ultra Wideband Connectivity to Cover 175 Million People by End of 2022

Reactions: decypher44

Realityck

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
We had Verizon installing their 5G cables underground some main streets locally, but I don't see any changes to whats offered yet. From what I understand even if they signup so many 5G Home service subscribers for midband 5G towers a few kilometers away from you, its still only so many that they will allow to sign up for this service. Additionally there are latency issues compared to fiber or cable. So they really have to prove to us its great and not limited to some finite number of customers that might want it.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
When I got my iPhone 12 at launch the 5G and 5GUW was super fast in my city (NYC). The service has greatly degraded since then to LTE speeds most of the time. I had the same experience in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. Kinda underwhelming in the end. Every once in awhile I'll still enjoy a fast signal but more often then not it's just LTE speeds with a 5G icon.

chris_schlitt

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2022
Probably Down the Shore, NJ
Has anyone else’s phone just NEVER connected to UWB with Verizon at all? I live in a city where there is coverage (I’ve confirmed the boxes I see on certain street corners are Verizon’s UWB antennas) and I’ve traveled to numerous cities where it’s covered but still my phone has never connected to it. It only ever utilizes regular 5G and sometimes LTE.

I had an iPhone 12 Pro last year and iPhone 13 mini this year. I’ve verified that even setting Voice and Data to 5G on, and set Data Mode to Use More Data Over 5G but still no luck.

The only thing I can think of is it being a Verizon restriction because I’m on a business plan with my company.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
That's great but I'm not paying an extra $35 per month to have access to it, Verizon.
How did you come up with that idea? It’s included on newer unlimited plans.

Has anyone else’s phone just NEVER connected to UWB with Verizon at all? I live in a city where there is coverage (I’ve confirmed the boxes I see on certain street corners are Verizon’s UWB antennas) and I’ve traveled to numerous cities where it’s covered but still my phone has never connected to it. It only ever utilizes regular 5G and sometimes LTE.

I had an iPhone 12 Pro last year and iPhone 13 mini this year. I’ve verified that even setting Voice and Data to 5G on, and set Data Mode to Use More Data Over 5G but still no luck.

The only thing I can think of is it being a Verizon restriction because I’m on a business plan with my company.

Are you on one of the premium unlimited plans?

foldpages

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2014
United States

You need to be on a plan that includes 5G UW access.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
Temecula, CA
so VZW operates in USA and Canada, combined ~ 360M people, so, with 175M potential customers at the end of this year - WAY TO GO!
I live in a non-rural area and my displayed 5G internet speed at home is typically 0.1Mbps down and even less up ...

JosephAW

macrumors 601
May 14, 2012
Living at the location but they don’t cover. Just give me faster LTE and I’ll be happy.
Too bad the electric company doesn’t provide internet like they do in Europe, the problem would be solved.

TallGuyGT

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
NYC
When I got my iPhone 12 at launch the 5G and 5GUW was super fast in my city (NYC). The service has greatly degraded since then to LTE speeds most of the time. I had the same experience in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. Kinda underwhelming in the end. Every once in awhile I'll still enjoy a fast signal but more often then not it's just LTE speeds with a 5G icon.
Similar results here. I live in Midtown near Times Square so I have access to a lot of mmWave coverage which is super fast.

But regular 5G has always been about the same as LTE. I expected a big speed boost when Verizon launched C-Band, but it doesn’t seem like it’s available in much of the city yet.

Reactions: LlamaLarry

MrENGLISH

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2009
How did you come up with that idea? It’s included on newer unlimited plans.
I’m currently on their 5GB PrePaid plan for $25 per month with access to 5G.

In order for me to have access 5GUW, I’d have to switch to their unlimited $60 plan which is more than double what I’m currently paying.

I barely use the 5GB data plan as my phone is typically connected to WiFi throughout the day. So I have no need for unlimited data and it’s not worth it for me to pay $35 more for access to 5GUW.

roncron

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
My home is barely covered with 4G, so I'm not getting my hopes up. Thank god for Wi-Fi calling, so many dead zones in my house.
Ditto. And where I can find 5G coverage, it is literally no faster than LTE, according to speedtest.net.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 68040
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I have Wi-Fi at home and Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi when I go to different work sites. Outside of that, the 10 to 15 minute ride to and from work using my cheap 2 GB T Mobile plan meets my needs just fine. Besides, I don’t watch video while on the go because I don’t want to be distracted be aware of my surroundings.

5G might make more sense when it’s cheaper and more wide spread in a few years.

indychris

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Fort Wayne, IN
So far 5G has been nothing but a headache to me. My local driving leaves me transitioning between LTE and 5G signals multiple times/day. I can't make a trip from home to office without my calls dropping 2-3 times. This all began with the 'improved' 5G coverage.

Reactions: AdamNC
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.