Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I have an iPhone 4S on Verizon carried from employer, and my monthly feee including 2GB data and fees is about $ 53.00

Is this plan via your employer?

Is this plan no longer available for new customers?

If the answer to either of these questions is "yes," then your point is moot regarding the Op's original rant.

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
Verizon has always been the $ carrier. You don't go there for a low monthly fee. You go there because you need Big Red's coverage. They know it, and you bend over and pay for it.

Some would say $100 a month minimum for an iPhone is absurd but that's the way the chips fall. Pay to play...

CandieB

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2009
Wow! Glad I have AT&T. I pay 181 for 3 Iphones 550 minutes, unlimited text and data.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
wow, maybe I'm late to the party and this is old news, but my monthly plan is $60 for verizon, but with all their fees and surcharges, etc...I'm paying $169 total this month! How can that be right?? I'm a new customer, maybe there are activation charges the first couple of months? Even that seems stupid to me, but I'll take that over this being a monthly issue...Otherwise, see ya later with an ETF, and hello again to straighttalk.

Part of fees pay for the free Obama phones.

troubledoldlady

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2012
avoid verizon

The only way to avoid these problems is to avoid all Verizon products and services, especially if you don't have Verizon now or would be adding anything or changing plans. You are asking for a $500-$150=$350 bill (includes internet for about a day, home phone that is a bother and iphone used mostly for phone calls) when you change out of your new plan because they have thrown megabites a day of data usage onto your bill, which never in my life have I used. It has taken 3 months to get the bill down to $227+.

But wait, even though the Verizon retail store owner made a call and quoted the amount to pay, which I did, I was charged A $5 late fee because the amount due quoted to him by Verizon on the phone was 90 cents off. That took weeks to correct. ALL totaling months and dozens of phone calls, emails, trips to the store. Verizon is a rich company, making nothing but misery for its customers which can last for months. Warn everyone you can.

ggmissmolly

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2011
Lexington, KY
Be a responsible adult and do the calculations yourself before spending your money. You can't complain about the cost of your meal if you don't look at the prices of the food you're ordering.

Everyone pays taxes, fees, etc., so just add on ~20% to whatever your charges are. These are not new things; they're on every carrier and have been for some time now.

The really astounding part is how someone (read: you) would leave a carrier, sign a 2-year contract, drop hundreds on a new phone, and threaten to leave & pay an ETF b/c your 1st month's bill wasn't what you expected (despite not having done your homework).

[/rant] :)

So are you trying to bring common sense to the masses? Good luck! Why do people buy stuff without understanding it and then complain?

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
Large fees are imposed on lots of stuff that some consider mandatory to have. Our phones; fees on car driving; fees on vice such as smoking. For many, it winds up at a double tax, because it's paid with money that has already been taxed by the time it's in your bank account to be available to spend. Add to the above car rentals and hotel stays. Huge taxes added onto that stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.