Verizon's iPad 3G vs. AT&T's iPad 3G

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Goldfrapp, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

Sometimes too many choices makes it harder to choose. What are some weighty advantages and disadvantages between the two models? Thanks for your input.

2. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

AT&T's iPad 3G will work worldwide...

Since I do a lot of traveling, I would never buy a CDMA iPad unless they also equipped it with GSM. Whenever I travel outside the US, I just buy a prepaid data SIM for my iPad and I have an internet connection wherever I go. My iPad is jailbroken, so I also run MyWi and share my connection with friends, family and my other devices.

A CDMA only iPad might as well be carrier-locked. No thanks.

3. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

4. Syk macrumors 6502a

I don't travel outside of the US so GSM vs CDMA wouldn't really matter to me.

If you're the type of person that would like resell your device to buy a new one I would say get the AT&T. You should be able to sell it to more people because of the ability to sim swap.

For me and my needs if I was to buy one though it would be a Verizon one.

As mentioned earlier I don't travel outside the US nor do I sell stuff. I would just give it to a family member.

I have a jailbroken iphone4 with MyWi and that would give me data but I have a few places I go where AT&T doesn't have 3G but Verizon does. If I could buy data packages only for when I do travel to those places that would come in handy and I would use my Verizon data.

That would give me the ability to pretty much have 3g where ever I would go by either using Verizon or MyWi.

If I couldn't turn on and off data then I'd probably just go WiFi only model and just use MyWi and just suck it up in those EDGE places.

5. poloponies macrumors 68030

That was always the most appealing factor of the iPad for me (the SIM card portability, not the jailbreaking). It's good to see Apple expanding their market, but a CDMA iPad seems to be a step backwards (effectively makes it a "locked" device again).

6. jreuschl macrumors 6502

Hard to answer this question until we see what data plans are available from Verizon for the iPad. The current Verizon iPad isn't really a true one.

7. saberahul macrumors 68040

Since I barely leave the country at all - I'd go with VZW. Better service (let's assume pricing is the same for now) is a major plus point for me.

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I'll stick to an AT&T iPad, simply because my area of service is way better, has faster downloads than Verizon, and when I travel to Honduras (home country) I can use it there on the local GSM providers.

Try that with a CDMA version...

9. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

AT&T all the way at least in Boston. AT&T 3-4mbps down. VZW 1mbps down. Upload speeds are even worse. AT&T 1.2mbps up. VZW .2 Mbps up.

10. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

The CDMA iPhone doesn't let you call and use data at the same time, so you can't check your email and call at the same time.

11. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

We are talking about the iPad here...unless you make phone calls on your iPad :D

But I would say if you travel a lot within the US the Verizon iPad may be better because of their widespread 3G coverage. But if you are in a city with good AT&T coverage their 3G speeds are typically faster. Plus the AT&T version can swap SIM cards if you travel abroad.

12. tac22 macrumors 6502

Well im switching to the verizon iPhone so I was thinking having a gsm iPad with it might be a good idea. With the new personal hotspot I could always use verizon service on my iPad or AT&T directly through the gsm radio. But the gsm option would also give me a device that would work outside of the US. Best of both worlds (at least for someone who is deffinetly getting the verizon iPhone because they are done with putting up with daily dropped calls.)

13. reckless2k2 macrumors 6502a

This is a tough one. It really depends on the coverage of each provider in the areas you plan to travel.

I live in the Philly area and have plentiful AT&T 3G coverage all around with great speeds. I took a road trip to Florida not too long ago and had EDGE pretty much of the way. It was horrible. The iPad won't even work on EDGE it's so painfully slow.

That brings me to how well the iPad will work on Verizon 3G with much slower speeds than AT&T 3G. You may have MUCH more 3G coverage on Verizon but what are the speeds going to be like. I can imagine you may be hurting and the overall experience might suffer because of it.

Wait for 4G. Hahaha.