Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does you apple watch have vertical lines?

• Yes

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 6 85.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

salvator

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2015
Hi Guys,
I purchased a brand new apple watch series 3 38mm GPS Space Grey.
I noticed that watch has 4 lines of stripes across the screen when it is off and under a direct light.
These are 4 vertical lines,
I have attached a picture which is similar and explains the problem in the best manner.

It is only visible under sunlight or direct light.

Do you all have this for the series 3 GPS or is my watch defective?
as.png
IMG_3038.jpg

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Hi Guys,
I purchased a brand new apple watch series 3 38mm GPS Space Grey.
I noticed that watch has 4 lines of stripes across the screen when it is off and under a direct light.
These are 4 vertical lines,
I have attached a picture which is similar and explains the problem in the best manner.

It is only visible under sunlight or direct light.

Do you all have this for the series 3 GPS or is my watch defective? View attachment 762226 View attachment 762229

A few other members of commented on something similar as your Apple Watch. I would have Apple look at it, but one member specifically stated they had the vertical lines as you indicated, and it’s considered a laminating defect.

Here is the thread for reference:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/vertical-lines-on-display.2053068/

salvator

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2015
A few other members of commented on something similar as your Apple Watch. I would have Apple look at it, but one member specifically stated they had the vertical lines as you indicated, and it’s considered a laminating defect.

Thank you for the reply.
I live in a country where there isn't an apple store or genius bars just authorized service providers and distributors.

They won't replace the watch but will repair it most likely if it is a defect and I dont want a new watch to get repaired.

I saw the thread, the problem they are stating is that of something else,

Do other members over here have the same problem and is it a problem or not?

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
Do other members over here have the same problem and is it a problem or not?
I'd say it's not a defect, but rather something inherent to the production process of the OLED panel or the display as a whole. If you only see it under direct sunlight and if the watch functions normally it's most likely not much of an issue and as such not worth worrying about.

salvator

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2015

I ended up getting a replacement and the replacement has the same thing exactly.

I'd say it's not a defect, but rather something inherent to the production process of the OLED panel or the display as a whole. If you only see it under direct sunlight and if the watch functions normally it's most likely not much of an issue and as such not worth worrying about.

I guess so as I got a replacement and the replacement has the same lines.
Also I went to a store and saw 2 models the GPS AW3 and the LTE GPS AW3 and both had the same 4 vertical lines so I guess it is normal?

Although people here on the poll claim otherwise so that makes me confused.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

I don’t see any vertical lines on any of my Apple Watch models under any lighting conditions, so I can’t attest to your exact situation, but I also think it depends of who you speak to at an Apple Store with experience they might have with this “Issue”, because others have had their Apple Watch replaced with the exact situation as yours being it was claimed defective by the Genius employee. Rather it actually was defective or not is debatable, perhaps the Genius employee isn’t entirely sure, which as a result Apple might just replace it because of the _unknown_.

salvator

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2015
I don’t see any vertical lines on any of my Apple Watch models under any lighting conditions, so I can’t attest to your exact situation, but I also think it depends of who you speak to at an Apple Store with experience they might have with this “Issue”, because others have had their Apple Watch replaced with the exact situation as yours being it was claimed defective by the Genius employee. Rather it actually was defective or not is debatable, perhaps the Genius employee isn’t entirely sure, which as a result Apple might just replace it because of the _unknown_.
I saw 4 watches 2 at the store and one of my previous replacement and the current one.

Now all can't be defective, the possibility of that is very unlikely, correct?

I don't have an apple store here or a genius bar, just third party authorized resellers so I don't know how helpful they would be.

If you see your watch under a light bulb and keep tilting it , you will be able to see 4 vertical lines, please check and do let me know.

Also which AW3 do you have?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I saw 4 watches 2 at the store and one of my previous replacement and the current one.

I don’t compare my Apple Watch to other models, as long as my watch is functional, that’s really all that matters to me.

Now all can't be defective, the possibility of that is very unlikely, correct?

I can’t speak for those Apple watches, because I have not physically observed them. But I doubt they would be all defective.

I don't have an apple store here or a genius bar, just third party authorized resellers so I don't know how helpful they would be.

Just my opinion, but I think genius employees are a highly trained when it comes to Apple products, I can’t attest to anything unrelated to third-party authorized resellers. They might have different experience or feedback based on what they see or what their knowledge is.

If you see your watch under a light bulb and keep tilting it , you will be able to see 4 vertical lines, please check and do let me know.

Also which AW3 do you have?

As I stated before, I already checked and I know for a fact I do not have any vertical lines that I can physically see under any lighting conditions. I also have two stainless series 3 Apple Watches in LTE.

My advice to you is this, I would stop worrying about it and use your Apple Watch as you normally would, and it doesn’t appear to be an issue or affecting your Apple Watch in any manner.

Everybody’s experience might vary, and as I mentioned before, some Apple stores may not be fully understanding of this concern brought to their attention, therefore they just might replace the watch, but can also be totally dependent on every Apple store might provide a different outcome.

For example, that one thread that I linked to you earlier, one member brought his Apple Watch into a store with the vertical lines and Apple claimed it was a laminate issue, which they believed to be defective and replaced it. But that may not be the same experience for every Apple store, because I don’t think every Apple Genius understands if its a defect or not.

Last edited:

salvator

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2015
I don’t compare my Apple Watch to other models, as long as my watch is functional, that’s really all that matters to me.

I can’t speak for those Apple watches, because I have not physically observed them. But I doubt they would be all defective.

Just my opinion, but I think genius employees are a highly trained when it comes to Apple products, I can’t attest to anything unrelated to third-party authorized resellers. They might have different experience or feedback based on what they see or what their knowledge is.

As I stated before, I already checked and I know for a fact I do not have any vertical lines that I can physically see under any lighting conditions. I also have two stainless series 3 Apple Watches in LTE.

My advice to you is this, I would stop worrying about it and use your Apple Watch as you normally would, and it doesn’t appear to be an issue or affecting your Apple Watch in any manner.

Everybody’s experience might vary, and as I mentioned before, some Apple stores may not be fully understanding of this concern brought to their attention, therefore they just might replace the watch, but can also be totally dependent on every Apple store might provide a different outcome.

For example, that one thread that I linked to you earlier, one member brought his Apple Watch into a store with the vertical lines and Apple claimed it was a laminate issue, which they believed to be defective and replaced it. But that may not be the same experience for every Apple store, because I don’t think every Apple Genius understands if its a defect or not.

Yeah i guess you are right.

Here is another article I came across with the same issue https://apple.stackexchange.com/que...ce=google_rich_qa&utm_campaign=google_rich_qa

The person here did end up getting a replacement and so did i from my reseller.

Also he claims his replacement has the same lines just as my replacement does.

I guess it's common not sure but you are right I will use it now, cant again wait for a replacement.

Always have the 1 year warranty if anything goes wrong and in the apple watch case if there is some screen problem they anyway replace the entire watch and they don't repair it this what the authorized service center told me.

I guess I will take your advice, thanks a ton

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
People can claim anything on the internet; I personally wouldn't put much stock in a poll like that. Most here won't be any sort of experts on OLED panel technology or the manufacturing of the same. A lot of these votes are likely to be because of something along the lines of, "I think that looks odd, so it must be faulty." Even if there's nothing actually wrong with the display.

You might want to consider that each time someone goes back to an apple store to replace perfectly good working hardware for some inconsequential reason, they create pollution and help squander limited resources of this planet. Plus you and everybody else end up paying for the extra costs for these replacements incurred by apple itself next time we go to buy something from the company. So for these reasons, maybe not go replace stuff willy nilly because of some percieved defect that doesn't affect the functionality of the device in any way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.