Very Excited

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by estee065, May 26, 2007.

1. estee065 macrumors member

After procrastinating too long, I just put in my order for a refurb C2D 2.0Ghz macbook and wireless mighty mouse. I can't wait!
    Sorry for the pointless post, but I am just very happy and my wife just doesn't get it.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

3. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

I get it. I know that feeling. I think anyone whose just bought a new Mac, especially their first one, gets that feeling. I know I did. It's such a relief to finally buy it if you were waiting too.

Congrats on the new buy! :)

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i always get excited about new machines. congrats on the purchase. i'm sure you'll love it.

5. estee065 thread starter macrumors member

Yup. First mac. I have been aching to cut the MS cord, and this is the first step.

6. warfa macrumors regular

Right on! Congratulations.
    Rock on ......with your new Mac:D

7. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

Congrats on your purchase hope you have no problems.

8. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

9. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

Congrats, come back and give us your impressions :)

10. Kaiser Phoenix macrumors 6502

Congratulations! this will be one of the best decisions youll ever have made! At least it was for me, the mac is way more intuitive and organizes my personal life in a very simple manner and handles everything that i throw at it. Youll love it. :)

11. estee065 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks all for the congrats. The best part is that I already received a FedEx tracking number only six hours after my purchase. I was expecting to wait a few weeks, but at this rate I'll be posting comments on my new macbook in a few days!

12. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

You know is funny, I had exactly the same problem when I ordered mine :p My girlfriend didn't get it, so I went and told all of my computer friends who were pumped about it. That never happens when you buy a new Acer.

13. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

It's indeed a guilty pleasure to watch the FedEx tracking site. It took almost two weeks for my MBP to arrive, but only two days for my refurb'd Mac Mini. I love it when it reports "Package on truck for delivery", although that makes me need the washroom more often than usual :eek:

Don't worry that your wife doesn't get it. Do you get figure skating? (Apologies to any Mac loving figure skaters.)

14. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Congratulations estee065 on the purchase of your first Mac- enjoy! :)

15. tehdee macrumors member

i give it a week before you're asking how to install bootcamp/vista...:p

congrats

16. estee065 thread starter macrumors member

lol, I was thinking the same thing. I still have my PC however (just in case), but I want to try to go cold turkey. I still need Office however I am hoping that I can get by with the new iWork when it comes out.

17. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

18. Kaiser Phoenix macrumors 6502

Its good but not optimized for Intels yet (assuming u meant MS Office).

I wonder when Office 2007 will be out.

19. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I just finished my entire junior year at Bradley University without ever having installed Microsoft Office on my PowerBook or Mac Pro. iWork '06 is better for me than Word and PowerPoint, and hopefully the next version of iWork will have a spreadsheet app as well (although I never needed to use it). This included a 83 page paper that featured graphs and stuff, and a 44 slide Keynote presentation that wowed my audience of 100 or so (they later awarded me with "best presenter" and "best overall presentation" awards in the class. Dozens of other much smaller papers and Keynotes as well.

Best $79 ever spent.

20. estee065 thread starter macrumors member

Wow. That's good to know. I had heard that '07 might include a spreadsheet, and I would like that. On a side note, could I transfer docs from Word to Pages and vice versa?

21. Gentile macrumors regular

Gentile

I bet you are feeling really good right now. I have been waiting many months to buy a 20" imac and have gone back and forth on when to buy it. I am currently waiting until WWDC - but sometimes I just want to say forget it and buy it now! Oh well, I only have three weeks to go.

22. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Simple Word documents with only text and basic formatting like bold and italics can be opened in Pages fine, and usually exported from Pages fine.

However, the advanced graphics features that you can put into Pages files such as reflections, shadows, and image rotation (and corrections), the fancy-pants graphs, and most table related stuff will not transfer to Word documents well or at all.

Pages and Word are not actually direct competitors. Word is more of a strict word processor, whereas Pages is more of a graphic-oriented page layout app.

As far as spreadsheets go, Pages and Keynote both can make graphs and numeric tables which is usually why I used to use Excel in the first place. But I figure, in the rare case that I would actually need to use Excel, well there are a few hundred computers in my campus library that have Excel on them.

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Totally understandable! I got my first Mac 2 and a half years ago. PowerBook it was. I was jumping into the dark as I only had experience with limited college macs in the past. But the risk paid off and I love all my macs :) get the same excited feeling whenever I decide to buy a new one! I don't think I slept the night my iMac arrived in England :D

24. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Absolutely. You can even work between Powerpoint and Keynote (although you will quickly just drop Powerpoint). When moving files between Word and Pages, you may find occasional minor formatting differences, especially with fonts and some of the more advanced and/or esoteric features. It is a minor issue in my experience. I actually like Pages better, although at first, I did not. I think it was mainly getting to understand the differences. However, I think it is similar to upgrading versions of Word. (Anyone know why MS has the annoying habit of re-arranging their menus, with each new release of anything?)

If iWork 7 does, in fact, come out with a decent spreadsheet, it will be huge (in my opinion). Also, if they offer an entry-level version of FileMaker, maybe FileMaker Light, it would really cap-off a fine productivity suite (especially with iLife installed). To me, that would be game, set, match.

Few business users, really exploit the intermediate features of Word and Excel. Advanced options are even less used. There are notable exceptions, of course. For example, an accounting firm, or a company which produces technical documents, etc. I am mainly referring to industries like manufacturing, construction, distribution, retailing, etc. Most of my working life has been in manufacturing and construction. We seldom have more then 10% of the operation management and administrative staff, using more than basic functionality. Yet, we are paying up the nose for features we do not need. For awhile, I was being clever and buying Office Basic, not even Office Small Business. The prices were (with purchase of a new computer):

1) Office Basic (Word, Excel, Outlook) - $179
    2) Office Small Business (Word, Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint) - $279
    2) Office Professional (Word, Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint, Access) - $439

I told people, who told people, who told people, etc. Now, we are in MS's 'backyard'. Recently, what happened is, MS continued to sell Basic, but they now force you to license Adobe 8 Reader (you know - the free stuff) for $85. You do not have to do this except for Basic.

Anyway, the bottomline is this; Apple's price becomes even more competitive, if you can buy iWork for $79, instead of Office SB for $279. But, I am going sideways and off subject here. Have fun with your new Mac!

25. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Ditch her. You're new Mac will understand you better. :)

;)