Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
There are plenty of phones that provide that, maybe you should check them out.

Unfortunately, a perfectly functioning iPhone 4 is not a right.

I can't tell if your kidding or not. I demand every right since I gave them my dollars for something not working as they advertised it.

But what your LOGIC fails to understand is that none of those phones what I expect the iPhone to do in addtion to making calls (and holding the signal for those calls).

I at least expect the PHONE portion of the device to work PERFECTLY. Especially since cell phones have been around for 30 years. I'm sure the tech is perfected by now.

That's like saying "buy a washing machine, but don't expect it to wash your clothes". Get them wet sure, but washing will be hit or miss.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Unfortunately, a perfectly functioning iPhone 4 is not a right.

Well it is to the extent the malfunction applies to state (and country) warranty laws. Now whether the the reception issue applies remains to be seen. I'm sure there will be a class action suit filed in 3...2...1. Now if the attys can get a judge to accept it for trial we've got a case.

big0mar

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
I can't tell if your kidding or not. I demand every right since I gave them my dollars for something not working as they advertised it.

But what your LOGIC fails to understand is that none of those phones what I expect the iPhone to do in addtion to making calls (and holding the signal for those calls).

I at least expect the PHONE portion of the device to work PERFECTLY. Especially since cell phones have been around for 30 years. I'm sure the tech is perfected by now.

That's like saying "buy a washing machine, but don't expect it to wash your clothes". Get them wet sure, but washing will be hit or miss.

And if you got a washing machine that didn't wash your clothes, you'd return and purchase another, correct?

The issue with your statement was when you said you "demand" something to happen. An iPhone 4 working fully isn't a right. Your right is to have a functioning iPhone, or your money returned. I'm not sure how hard of a concept that is to grasp.

big0mar

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
Well it is to the extent the malfunction applies to state (and country) warranty laws. Now whether the the reception issue applies remains to be seen. I'm sure there will be a class action suit filed in 3...2...1. Now if the attys can get a judge to accept it for trial we've got a case.

Are you suggesting Apple is refusing to accept returns on these phones?

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
Return the phone and get your money back if it doesn't work. Go get a motorola razor I hear they work good and they do a flippy thing. Or get a android phone and 3 extra batteries to get you through the day. It doesn't matter how you hold an android phone if the battery is dead.

mrblack927

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008
Or act like LOGICAL thinking adults and demand that the phone, REGARDLESS of cost, works like a CELL PHONE should because it's being advertised, first and foremost, as a cell phone that we are tied to paying a monthly contract for service. That means get a signal.

I don't know, I consider myself a pretty logical person. I got an iPhone 4 on launch day and I do think it works as advertised, even though I can reproduce the reception issue if I try.

If you pick the phone up and turn it on, it gets a signal. If you hold it a certain way, it goes down. So what? The same thing happens on many other mobile phones. Those phones never advertised that the signal could be impaired by holding it a certain way, and the iPhone didn't advertise it either. That's because it's a known limitation of cell phones. But that's not even the biggest problem here. The real issue is that a bumper is not a signal fixer.

If bumper makes the signal better, then it's a side-effect of a product that's designed for something completely different (protecting the phone). People here want to get a free $30 product because they're having a problem with something else. They don't care what they get, they just want "free stuff" because they believe they have been wronged in some way. This is an attitude I disagree with.

So I say "buy it yourself" because if you want a bumper, you should pay for it. If you want a phone that doesn't have a signal issue, you should return your iPhone 4 and opt for an alternative phone. No one "owes you a bumper". The sense of entitlement on this forum is getting ridiculous.

OutlawImmortal

macrumors regular
May 14, 2010
Hills of Eastern Kentucky
I dont need a bumper to correct the reception because my reception has been perfectly fine.

I will of course have a free bumper courtesy of Apply though if they are offering ;)

+1

I was cave touring this weekend and even got 2 bars inside the cave system that is thick enough to be used for a fall out shelter, all the haters can **** and suck it...

Aadhil

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2009
California
Lol I think most of you should consider buying an Android. Actually you'd complain about that too since they rarely work as Advertised either. Which basically leaves you with the option of a Plain vanilla Candy Bar phone.

I can live with the defects of the iPhone and it's not really worth whining about. There are much worse problems in the world to care about and whining about a phone doesn't help solve them.

JustinP81

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
Celebration, FL
I love these posts where people gripe...

"I want a phone that works out of the box!"

I hear what you're saying, but hear me: THE PHONE WORKS.

It's not like you CAN'T make calls, or surf the internet, or do whatever the hell it is you want to do on the phone. You hate the fact that you may drop a few bars if you death grip the phone? That's your issue. As Steve said... hold it differently.

Is it that inconvenient to you to hold it ever so slightly different for a couple of days? Let me answer that for you... No. It's not.

AND I GET IT, for those of you who will attack this, YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE TO HOLD IT DIFFERENTLY.

I. Under. Stand. I get it. I do.

But chill, yeah? It's going to be addressed in one way or another.

Until then... there's bigger fish to fry in the world.

Jack Dangers

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
The only adult and logical thing to do is return the phone for a refund if it isn't performing to your satisfaction. I know it's hard to imagine your life without that shiny new iPhone, but that is the only way Apple is going to listen. If this was such a widespread issue and people were lining up to return the phone, I guarantee they will truly address the issue. Demanding for a free bumper and talks of class action lawsuits because you can cup your phone and make it drop a few bars is pretty insane IMO.

snverhallen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
I still can't understand the people who are saying, "get another phone" or "just buy a bumper case." People are forgetting the main principle of buying a product, namely that it should work as advertised.

If the phone is not working because of a fault (that has yet been fixed by Apple although I hope fix is on the way) that has nothing to do with the buyer no one can tell you to buy something extra or anything of the sort. This has nothing to do with it being Apple, I mean it could've been Nokia or Microsoft for all I care. It should just work.

Jack Dangers

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
I still can't understand the people who are saying, "get another phone" or "just buy a bumper case." People are forgetting the main principle of buying a product, namely that it should work as advertised.

If the phone is not working because of a fault (that has yet been fixed by Apple although I hope fix is on the way) that has nothing to do with the buyer no one can tell you to buy something extra or anything of the sort. This has nothing to do with it being Apple, I mean it could've been Nokia or Microsoft for all I care. It should just work.

exactly, if it doesn't work as advertised return it and get something that does.

fibrizo

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2009
exactly, if it doesn't work as advertised return it and get something that does.

Best answer! I love how people have to come whine about it. If a company makes a product that does not meet your expectations, we luckily live in a society of free choice and one that allows returns. There are other phones out there. If I bought a TV and it sucked, I could return it and buy a competitor's product. That's how the capitalist system works. You put your money where your mouth is, and then they listen. If no one bought one, then they'd have to change their product. I'm going to bet that somewhere in the TOS agreement, it says apple makes no guarantees for the performance of the product, lol.

BlondeBuddhist

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2010
I have a Belkin case that works better than any bumper could. And yes, you can still see the cool apple logo.

What would I do with a free bumper?

Blonde Buddhist

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
And if you got a washing machine that didn't wash your clothes, you'd return and purchase another, correct?

The issue with your statement was when you said you "demand" something to happen. An iPhone 4 working fully isn't a right. Your right is to have a functioning iPhone, or your money returned. I'm not sure how hard of a concept that is to grasp.

I would return it correct. But not if the replacement is going to have the same issue. I do demand a product to work as advertised. I don't buy products that basically say, "well it works, but...".

A fully working product is a right. That's why we buy products. If you buy products that "work, but..." then that's your business. I expect it to work as advertised. Drop calls are a given with any cell phone. That I can accept. But having the phone not or drop signal simply because I place my hand over it is unacceptable. I shouldn't have change a way I hold my phone (a VERY unacceptable retort by Steve Jobs and completely ridiculous and an obvious indication of a design flaw). Maybe they should have advertised the phone needs to be held differently for this model. Because it sure hasn't been a problem for the last 3 years. Especially when I been buying and using iPhones since 2007.

You can defend Apple all you want. But this needs a fix and it needs to come fast.

fibrizo

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2009
I would return it correct. But not if the replacement is going to have the same issue. I do demand a product to work as advertised. I don't buy products that basically say, "well it works, but...".

A fully working product is a right. That's why we buy products. If you buy products that "work, but..." then that's your business. I expect it to work as advertised. Drop calls are a given with any cell phone. That I can accept. But having the phone not or drop signal simply because I place my hand over it is unacceptable. I shouldn't have change a way I hold my phone (a VERY unacceptable retort by Steve Jobs and completely ridiculous and an obvious indication of a design flaw). Maybe they should have advertised the phone needs to be held differently for this model. Because it sure hasn't been a problem for the last 3 years. Especially when I been buying and using iPhones since 2007.

You can defend Apple all you want. But this needs a fix and it needs to come fast.

Funny. You have a right to buy any product that you wish. What's amusing here is that people "must" have an apple product, and it "must" be perfect. Again you have the option of not buying apple. No on has put a gun to your head and say get this phone or else. You can use your choice to not buy the device, if no one bought it, then it would have to change to sell. But rather than do all of that, We're going to have a million threads of people complaining about it, because in all honesty, they "must" buy an iphone because A. It's probably better than the other phones out there, even with flaws, or B. They are mindless sheep and cannot fathom a choice outside of this.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Funny. You have a right to buy any product that you wish. What's amusing here is that people "must" have an apple product, and it "must" be perfect. Again you have the option of not buying apple. No on has put a gun to your head and say get this phone or else. You can use your choice to not buy the device, if no one bought it, then it would have to change to sell. But rather than do all of that, We're going to have a million threads of people complaining about it, because in all honesty, they "must" buy an iphone because A. It's probably better than the other phones out there, even with flaws, or B. They are mindless sheep and cannot fathom a choice outside of this.

You clearly fail logic. Of course I don't HAVE to buy Apple. If I CHOOSE to buy Apple, isn't it reasonable to expect them to have a product that functions as it's advertised? You see, if I bought an EVO on Sprint and it did this, I'd be making the some threads. So in other words, I don't care if it's Apple or HTC, whatever product I buy, it should work. My argument doesn't soley apply to Apple.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
Sure. Or we could act like adults and buy a bumper ourselves.

I tried. Mine is backordered while all these folks complaining about their phones not working are getting them shipped free the next day. Mine has been "not yet shipped" for 3 days. I'm going looking for another case and I'll just return that one when it comes.

fibrizo

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2009
You clearly fail logic. Of course I don't HAVE to buy Apple. If I CHOOSE to buy Apple, isn't it reasonable to expect them to have a product that functions as it's advertised? You see, if I bought an EVO on Sprint and it did this, I'd be making the some threads. So in other words, I don't care if it's Apple or HTC, whatever product I buy, it should work. My argument doesn't soley apply to Apple.

I understand what you mean, you just can't seem to fathom what I'm saying... if the product has the flaw of bad reception, ie it is flawed in it's current state, your choice is to keep a flawed product that they may or may not fix to your satisfaction, or take your money and go elsewhere. Or you could wait to buy it when the issue is fixed. ie Many people would not buy the first year model of a new car, simply because there are issues and bugs that they work out and change for the next iteration. It is simply our own need to have things immediately (I myself being one of them) that drives this issue more. Early adopters get this problem with buggy hardware and such. With apple so secretive in it's testing, etc and not letting people use it as they would normally before release, these kind of issues are, while not excusable, expected.

I'm not saying the phone is flawless, nor am I saying that apple shouldn't make a better product. But as long as people are willing to buy a product with a flaw in it, and do so in large numbers and continue to do so, they don't have to change it.

Who's grasp of logic here is failed, remains to be seen.

markdu

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2009
Memphis area
Agreed, just wait for the fix if you don't want to pay for the case. It's not hard.

I'm waiting for the fix. Apple will correct it. Their QC might have dropped, but customer satisfaction is still important to them. So, I'll bet they fix it. And not by just covering it up with a bumper.

BTW, I've ordered a bumper and looking forward to seeing is that helps any. Right now, when I'm in a weak signal area, I hold it with my thumb on the left side and three fingers on the right side. I could stick my pinky out to be proper. Sort of like drinking tea ;)

CactusHawk

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2009
I don't want a bumper free or otherwise. I do have the reception issue. Steve asked me to "stay tuned" and that's what I am doing. If ultimately the issue cannot be resolved then I may have to go back to a 3GS or live with the i4 the way it is...my choice.

Why all the hate and attitude?:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.