Very odd Amazon problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by r3voLoLwuT, Apr 21, 2011.

1. r3voLoLwuT macrumors member

So for graduation my family decided to order me a new 2011 15" Macbook Pro. They ordered it off Amazon, and it arrived today. I start it up and it works perfectly fine. I decided to take a look at "About this Mac" and found this:

[​IMG]

The 2.66 i7 is from a Mid 2010 MBP. So I take a look at the serial number and this is what I found:

[​IMG]

That is a Mid 2010 MBP model number. The next thing I check is the serial number on the bottom of my MBP and on the box. Both show the following model and serial number:

[​IMG]

The Serial and Model number on the box and the bottom of the my MBP show to be an early 2011 MBP. So I call Amazon and after 30 minutes of trying to understand what the hell the CSR is trying to say, she tells me she is going to have to wait and call Apple in the morning to confirm.

Also, one of the screws on the bottom is halfway out, and I also dont show having a thunderbolt port nor does the MBP have a thunderbolt logo beside the mini-display port.

I'm sure that Amazon will get this fixed quickly (and hopefully overnight it), but it seems to me that someone along the way changed the bottom of their 2010 MBP with my 2011.

Was wondering if anyone else has had a problem like this with Amazon?

2. zwodubber macrumors 6502a

never heard of that, interested to hear results...

3. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Classic switcharoo. Some guy screwed Amazon, they didn't catch it and sent it to you.

Good luck getting it fixed, you could be in for a ride.

4. r3voLoLwuT thread starter macrumors member

If they say theres a problem, it's still in the return period so I can get my money back then go to the apple store and buy one. I just hope they get it resolved quick.

5. ssdaytona macrumors member

6. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Doesn't matter. They may think you did it. I wouldn't assume they are going to just take your word and resolve it.

7. erure macrumors regular

I'm guessing that some evil person swapped in their old MBP with the new one and returned it to Amazon, who didn't check the computer thoroughly and sold it as new? Or it could just be a simple error at the apple factories and they put in a refurb MBP into a new MBP box. Either way, Amazon or Apple will fix the problem -- I just hope you're not bounced between the two too much before it gets fixed.

//edit
    If it was some random evil person switching the MBPs, how did they get away with having it look brand new? When you opened up the MBP box for the first time, was it like a brand new MBP (plastic wrap with white paper seal and all that)? Ugh that would suck if they thought you were the one trying to pull off the switch -- it really is just your word and no proof D:

8. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

And they accidentally slapped a 2011 plate with matching serial number....

9. r3voLoLwuT thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately there really wasn't anything I could do in this situation. The packaging was pristine. This seems like it was a very well thought out operation, or a very odd problem at the factory. Either way, I could be made to be the bad guy in all of this. Just gotta hope they understand.

10. Inside_line macrumors regular

Interesting that thunderbolt is listed in system profiler.... my 2010 machine doesn't list that.

11. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

Amazon has always been great with customer service when I've had to deal with them. I'm sure they will have you all straightened out soon. Sorry to hear of this happening to you. Hang in there.

12. blevins321 macrumors 68030

If Amazon screws the pooch on you with this one, you might try giving your bank/credit card company a call. I think one of the chargeback origination 'excuses' is a fraudulent packing slip..as in packing the wrong computer. :)

13. r3voLoLwuT thread starter macrumors member

Right, whoever swapped out the internals also swapped the Hard Drive because they didn't want to lose their data.

Thanks, I will look into that if Amazon/Apple decide to screw me.

14. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

That's nuts! May be worth giving Apple a call too, if you think it was a factory screw-up.

15. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Was yours sealed?

I got mine from Amazon as well.

Once the MBP box was opened did you have the sealed plastic around the MBP that you had to rip the sticker to open and actually get to the laptop?

16. crypticlineage macrumors regular

I would most certainly bring this to the attention of Apple. More than likely this happened at the factory and they would like to know about it. In fact, then might even replace your machine with a better spec'ed one for the trouble caused to you.

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Apart from calling Amazon, call your credit card company and dispute the charge. Tell them what's going on and Amazon will want to take care of this issue quickly as well (or they don't get any money).

If you contact the Apple Store with the serial number that's listed in your System Profiler, you will mostly likely be able to obtain the contact information of the previous owner. I just looked up the Serial Number and it shows up as registered.

18. Al Coholic macrumors 6502

^This.

I'm not buying the switcheroo theory either as all of this could be easily traced to the "switcher". There's just too many serial numbers involved and too much of a paper trail available to hide this.

If all was sealed then this is an Apple screw up.

Man. I'd be absolutely livid about this.

19. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

Did the laptop arrive with the thin foam keyboard cover between the screen and the keyboard?

It is very easy to re-shrinkwrap something, but the 'switcherer' ;) might have forgot to put the keyboard cover back.

I think it is more likely a sneaky Amazon swap than an Apple problem. How can hundreds of thousands of Apple computers ship with the right config with the right serial number on the box? There must be a second, or even third check for the match.

I think that more than anything else you need to just be calm when contacting Apple / Amazon or whoever, don't be adamant it wasn't your fault: they might get suspicious.

Good luck!

20. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

Sorry for the double post but just realised something...

The mid 2010 models came with 4GB RAM if I am correct.

So this ass**** switcher not only switched the computers but pocketed some RAM also.

Scumbag.

21. adztaylor macrumors 68000

Wow that is a very odd problem. Regardless of whether it is Amazon or Apple's fault raise hell with both until one of them sorts it for you. Good luck OP hope you get the right outcome.

22. huythanhv2 macrumors regular

As far as I noticed

1. The machine serial is different from the one on the box

2. The RAM is only 2GB!!! -> don't think Apple has the option to ship any 2010 machine with only 2GB RAM

So if it was a sneaky swap, the bad guy was really really bad!

23. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Zero chance this happened at the factory.

24. r3voLoLwuT thread starter macrumors member

Just got off the phone with Amazon and was able to talk to a more competent CSR. I told her the problem, and they are shipping me a new 2011 MBP as we speak. She also said this has been happening frequently with their MBPs and that they are currently investigating the issues. They think it is a group in the one of the warehouses who are buying 2010's and swapping them with 2011's then selling them.

Anyways, I should have my new 2011 15" MBP on tuesday or wednesday.

25. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Crazy. Glad they're taking care of you. There's a very big Amazon center/warehouse in my town. Hmmmm...