Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
So I was browsing around eBay recently, and I accidentally stumbled upon this thing, courtesy of Goodwill:

It appears to be some kind of custom-built graphite Clamshell made by a company called Gemini (that was perhaps subcontracted out for manufacturing to another company called Assistive Technology, Inc.), with an actual touch screen built into the surface of the top shell rather than the underside, with two speakers on the top corners. It seems to be more-so designed to serve as a kiosk unit than a portable.

I have no attachment to Clamshells, so I'm not very interested in this one. But it seems to be an exceedingly rare device, and I know that there are several folks here who are into that, so I figured I'd let you all know just in case anyone's interested.

Should anyone wish to throw a bid in for the purposes of hardware preservation (and potentially save it from the polka-dot guy - God forbid), I wish you good luck. :)

Last edited:

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@wnlewis I'll just leave these here ...

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK

A sentence from a Biggie Smalls track comes to mind. Contains profanity so click here at your peril. ;)

Edit: fixed the XML issue, sorry!

Last edited:
Reactions: Windreader

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@TheShortTimer Nooo! Not XML!

Screenshot from 2021-09-11 22-33-24.png

The sight of raw code highly offends me; the mods will hear of this! :mad:

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan

WITH GIFTS!!!@#!@$#$%$^&

?

• Haha
Reactions: retta283 and z970

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
What does make me mad is seeing him begin to corner the market for some white iBooks and especially G4 minis.
Well, in 20 years from now, he might be selling beautified M1 Macs… with gifts!!!111oneoneeleven

Geez, that keyboard on the one linked to above… Where’s the next vomitorium?

Reactions: yakult121

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
I've seen these for long enough that it's hard to get mad at, just laughable. What does make me mad is seeing him begin to corner the market for some white iBooks and especially G4 minis.

He can have all of the original Minis and white G3 iBooks that he wants. The former are pretty dull but somewhat usable; the latter... well... he can deal with the fallout when they start to croak.

I get the "Ooohh SHINY!" when it comes to simple people and the OG iBooks. FOMO, glazed eyes and all of that. Expanding that to less-cooler designs like the white iBooks and Minis? I just dont see it, personally. Then again, I haven't explored that guys' listings with any sort of close attention in years, so I'm not even sure what he's doing.

I wouldn't go near those white iBooks, G3 or otherwise, with a 64' 3/8" poooooooooooole, with that sort of market gimmick....

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
He can have all of the original Minis and white G3 iBooks that he wants. The former are pretty dull but somewhat usable; the latter... well... he can deal with the fallout when they start to croak.

I get the "Ooohh SHINY!" when it comes to simple people and the OG iBooks. FOMO, glazed eyes and all of that. Expanding that to less-cooler designs like the white iBooks and Minis? I just dont see it, personally. Then again, I haven't explored that guys' listings with any sort of close attention in years, so I'm not even sure what he's doing.

I wouldn't go near those white iBooks, G3 or otherwise, with a 64' 3/8" poooooooooooole, with that sort of market gimmick....
The old Minis are some of my favorite simple computer designs of all time, when they're new that is. All the ones he sells have yellowed so bad they aren't very presentable. It does really suck for me as someone who's been searching for a G4 Mini all year at a good price, even trying to get one on MR marketplace is going nowhere. I refuse to pay hundreds for something that already cost me $500 16 years ago...

Agreed on the iBooks though, too bad because again a brand new 'IceBook' looks really nice but are ticking time bombs due to the GPU.

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2020
The old Minis are some of my favorite simple computer designs of all time, when they're new that is. All the ones he sells have yellowed so bad they aren't very presentable. It does really suck for me as someone who's been searching for a G4 Mini all year at a good price, even trying to get one on MR marketplace is going nowhere. I refuse to pay hundreds for something that already cost me $500 16 years ago...

Agreed on the iBooks though, too bad because again a brand new 'IceBook' looks really nice but are ticking time bombs due to the GPU.
Interesting, so you look for new minis?

I can’t believe this guy is still at it. Someone will buy this and never use it for anything except eye candy… maybe they will try to go to Facebook once. All while driving up the price for people like us.

The worst of it is every one he sells is less parts/cases to repair others.

Reactions: Amethyst1

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Interesting, so you look for new minis?

I can’t believe this guy is still at it. Someone will buy this and never use it for anything except eye candy… maybe they will try to go to Facebook once. All while driving up the price for people like us.

The worst of it is every one he sells is less parts/cases to repair others.
The newer the better, but the tops can be restored somewhat via a lengthy process. Currently I'm just looking for one that is confirmed to work. I have only Intel minis and I really want a G4 for OS 9 and Tiger dual-booting on a small desktop. The only ones I've found under $300 are untested or have confirmed video issues.

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2020
The newer the better, but the tops can be restored somewhat via a lengthy process. Currently I'm just looking for one that is confirmed to work. I have only Intel minis and I really want a G4 for OS 9 and Tiger dual-booting on a small desktop. The only ones I've found under $300 are untested or have confirmed video issues.
Wait what? I got my G4 mini in 2019 for $45. OS 9 FLIES on it, MPEG-4 480P 1.5MB/S via QuickTime 6.0 on Mac OS 9 is insane!

OMG, what happened to the prices on eBay? What did they do to my boy? That Mac mini has compiled every single PPCMC7 release, and it was cheaper then Intel minis when I bought it pre COVID. I literally used to recommend it as a budget OS 9 machine that could max out every game.

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2020

+ 1 FREE Apple iBook Clamshell User’s Guide (FREE)
Sureeee

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Wait what? I got my G4 mini in 2019 for $45. OS 9 FLIES on it, MPEG-4 480P 1.5MB/S via QuickTime 6.0 on Mac OS 9 is insane!

OMG, what happened to the prices on eBay? What did they do to my boy? That Mac mini has compiled every single PPCMC7 release, and it was cheaper then Intel minis when I bought it pre COVID. I literally used to recommend it as a budget OS 9 machine that could max out every game.
I really wished I had gotten one back in 2018-19 when I originally was thinking of it, because now it seems to be too late. This is part of why I bought my Quicksilver that I'm expecting to take delivery of. It's nowhere near as powerful, but it's something to play with in the meantime while I search.

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2020

Worse condition and 10x the price I paid in 2019

Attachments

• 3A574CB6-74E0-4BD9-BAAB-3AEB388F4B25.png
    3A574CB6-74E0-4BD9-BAAB-3AEB388F4B25.png
    1 MB · Views: 50

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
If there weren't a healthy market for garish, overpriced yet obsolete Apple hardware, his creations wouldn't exist. I can't get too worked up about him or his switching his attentions to Mac Minis. There are tons of the latter everywhere and many more have been ewasted than he will ever buy.

I mean, this is overpriced but you can still get a working MacMini affordably:

Screenshot 2021-10-02 at 06.45.54.png

Last edited:

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
If there weren't a healthy market for garish, overpriced yet obsolete Apple hardware, his creations wouldn't exist. I can't get too worked up about him or his switching his attentions to Mac Minis. There are tons of the latter everywhere and many more have been ewasted than he will ever buy.

View attachment 1854568
Not in North America. They won’t post to here.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Hey, that's my auction :)

Overpriced? Well, considering what I paid for it plus having to buy the power supply and RAM - once eBay have taken their cut I'll make less than £5 profit - also, when I last looked, mine was the cheapest working Mini on there?

And sorry, @retta283 the reason I'm reluctant to post abroad is I've had terrible experiences doing so plus the cost to send to USA is an extra £70...and there still might be custom charges for the recipient on top of that!

Last edited:

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Hey, that's my auction :)

Oops. ?

Actually, my comment was more directed at the the hardware rather than the sellers. I don't really care if they are asking £300+, as it is eBay after all and eBay takes its ever increasing cut. I just think for £50 there are better PPC options out there. Unless you absolutely must have a Mac Mini, that is.

Reactions: Amethyst1

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
Unpopular opinion: If I may add to the conversation, I generally have no problem with things on eBay that are "overpriced" (but not grotesquely so, like $400 for a standalone Power Mac G4, for example). As I see it, if the buyer is satisfied that they got their item exactly as they imagined it, and the seller is satisfied because they made a healthy profit - and conversely if the buyer scores a really good deal, and the seller is just happy to offload the sold item, then where is the issue for either party involved?

Speaking as someone who has undertaken multiple large-scale projects and endeavors to provide to the general public free of charge - purely out of principle, I can still fully recognize that people need money to live. And in this economy, especially now, more than ever. So if some choose to attempt to convert their possessed solid assets (like Power Macs) into as much liquid asset as possible, then that's just efficient asset management in my eyes.

@Dronecatcher Forgive me if you are already aware, but eBay UK has a Global Shipping Programme, which is basically where you sell something internationally, send it to a local eBay distribution center instead of directly to a guy in the Congo (or U.S.), and then they deal with all the customs and extra charges for you, as well as protect you from most negative feedback should something go wrong throughout the process.

As an eBay seller, I nearly used it once, but did do the research required, and it's ... comparable to going to the airport and having someone else fly you to another country instead of just taking a hang glider there by yourself. If that makes any sense. It seems to be a much easier process, to say the least.

FYI for those interested, eBay US has the same thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.