Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rak007

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
I thought I was the only one but same issue here. Super slow downloads from
Cydia on wifi while a lot faster on 3G (no LTE here)

Eclipse538

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2013
Simple fix for this problem was to Reset Network settings, i use a dns on my phone for 3g and wifi and my 3g at home would FLY, abroad it doesnt go quite as fast but that is okay. My wifi depending on the network will also get speeds between 20-25mps with dns.

My girlfriends is lucky to pull in 5mps without dns, and even slower if i dont reset her network after restore.. Mostly because my dns settings

lukejc1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2013
Wisconsin
Simple fix for this problem was to Reset Network settings, i use a dns on my phone for 3g and wifi and my 3g at home would FLY, abroad it doesnt go quite as fast but that is okay. My wifi depending on the network will also get speeds between 20-25mps with dns.

My girlfriends is lucky to pull in 5mps without dns, and even slower if i dont reset her network after restore.. Mostly because my dns settings

I've tried that. I don't think my network or the settings are the problem. My speed test show very fast download speeds on WiFi (see pic). It only seems to be Cydia and/or repos that are slow.

C10A7D40-15F7-4EF5-A57A-E201436D3256-1989-000000354FFD9688.jpg

Skizzy

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2013
I've tried that. I don't think my network or the settings are the problem. My speed test show very fast download speeds on WiFi (see pic). It only seems to be Cydia and/or repos that are slow.

^This

I honestly think its a problem with the iPhone 5. The iPad Mini I have doesn't have the same problem downloading the exact same thing.

Last edited:

rak007

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Just curious, what kind of router do you have? Is it a Netgear?

It is a TP Link router. Quite old. But i am pretty sure it is not the router which is the problem.
The connection speed is 1 Mbps at my home. App store apps download in proper speed, streaming youtube works fine.
But downloading from Cydia is super slow. Yesterday downloaded one 9.3 MB app from cydia and it took about 15-20 min to download it.

Probably does not matter but i am on iOS 5.1.1, iPhone 4S

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
^This

I honestly think its a problem with the iPhone 5. The iPad Mini I have doesn't have the same problem downloading the exact same thing.

Had the same issues with iphone 4 and 4S. So doubt its just the i5.
It might have to do with the particular internet providers too.
I noticed it happened on a verizon fios connection but on cox cable internet its fine. So not sure but also a possibility if they are throttling it on their end maybe?

rak007

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Had the same issues with iphone 4 and 4S. So doubt its just the i5.
It might have to do with the particular internet providers too.
I noticed it happened on a verizon fios connection but on cox cable internet its fine. So not sure but also a possibility if they are throttling it on their end maybe?

Not related to ISPs as i am not even in USA and having same problem.

Skizzy

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2013
My speedtests are flying yet my downloads on my iPhone 5 are slow. Downloads on the iPad Mini are also pretty fast downloading the same exact thing.

I had a tech from Time Warner come over here two days ago to make sure everything was ok and he changed a bunch of settings inside and outside so I don't think it's the provider. I originally thought it was.

vectranos

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2013

Hello,

Same here! From app store download speed is ok. From speednet test too.
Only 30/40k from Cydia and if i use Safari Download Manager. It have to be evasi0n fault. I write to saurik, planetbeing, pod2g but they never answer :(!

Nicos

Skizzy

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2013
Can you guys state which device you have? Is this all iPhone 5's this is happening to? I think one person has a 4s.

rak007

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Hello,

Same here! From app store download speed is ok. From speednet test too.
Only 30/40k from Cydia and if i use Safari Download Manager. It have to be evasi0n fault. I write to saurik, planetbeing, pod2g but they never answer :(!

Nicos

Can you guys state which device you have? Is this all iPhone 5's this is happening to? I think one person has a 4s.

Not evasi0n fault i think, i am on iPhone 4S iOS 5.1.1 and has never used evasi0n (obviously) so does not look specific to evasi0n or device.

Skizzy

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2013
I can't understand why my iPad Mini downloads the exact same thing perfectly fine. Side by side the iPad flies and the iPhone crawls when downloading the same theme a the exact same time. This only seems to happen in Cydia. I'm wondering if maybe it's the 6.1.2 update. My iPad is on 6.1 but I just updated the i5 to 6.1.2. I'm not sure if this happened on 6.1 on my iPhone. Anyways this is VERY frustrating! I don't know if I should bring my phone back to Apple and have it exchanged. It will suck to be stuck waiting 20 mins every time I wanna download a theme.

Ok well I just turned of wifi and tried downloading the theme with 4g (no LTE) and it was a lot faster than on wifi. This makes no sense a all.

Here is what I've gathered:

1. Fast wifi speeds when testing using speedtest app and browsing web

2. Fast downloading tweaks on wifi in Cydia

3. Extremely slow download speeds when downloading a theme in Cydia on wifi

4. HSPA (at 2 mbps) downloads a theme faster than wifi (at 30 mbps)???? Smh. This is what I don't understand..

What should I tell them at the Apple store when I ask to have my phone exchanged and they test speeds and websites and everything is fine? I can't just say "well in Cydia on my jailbroken device it's not fast."

If there was a bad wifi sensor in the phone the speed tests wouldn't be normal right?

Last edited:

Skizzy

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2013
I went to my mothers last night and tried her phone on her network and the same thing happened so I'm pretty sure it's something with the phones.

Brandon0448

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2011
Anchorage, Alaska
I can't understand why my iPad Mini downloads the exact same thing perfectly fine. Side by side the iPad flies and the iPhone crawls when downloading the same theme a the exact same time. This only seems to happen in Cydia. I'm wondering if maybe it's the 6.1.2 update. My iPad is on 6.1 but I just updated the i5 to 6.1.2. I'm not sure if this happened on 6.1 on my iPhone. Anyways this is VERY frustrating! I don't know if I should bring my phone back to Apple and have it exchanged. It will suck to be stuck waiting 20 mins every time I wanna download a theme.

Ok well I just turned of wifi and tried downloading the theme with 4g (no LTE) and it was a lot faster than on wifi. This makes no sense a all.

Here is what I've gathered:

1. Fast wifi speeds when testing using speedtest app and browsing web

2. Fast downloading tweaks on wifi in Cydia

3. Extremely slow download speeds when downloading a theme in Cydia on wifi

4. HSPA (at 2 mbps) downloads a theme faster than wifi (at 30 mbps)???? Smh. This is what I don't understand..

What should I tell them at the Apple store when I ask to have my phone exchanged and they test speeds and websites and everything is fine? I can't just say "well in Cydia on my jailbroken device it's not fast."

If there was a bad wifi sensor in the phone the speed tests wouldn't be normal right?

Do not exchange your phone, it is not defective. As this only happens in cydia it is pretty obvious it's not the phone. You will just be disappointed when you get your new phone and it is just as slow on wifi in cydia.

Just disable wifi when you need to download a theme. Tweaks download just as slow through cydia on wifi but they are just so tiny you don't notice it.

Hopefully this will be patched soon.

Skizzy

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2013
Do not exchange your phone, it is not defective. As this only happens in cydia it is pretty obvious it's not the phone. You will just be disappointed when you get your new phone and it is just as slow on wifi in cydia.

Just disable wifi when you need to download a theme. Tweaks download just as slow through cydia on wifi but they are just so tiny you don't notice it.

Hopefully this will be patched soon.

I hear ya. I was just kinda frustrated I guess. I wish I could download them with my cellular but I'm using Straight Talk and I don't wanna get kicked from them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.