VGA or DVI, Can you tell the difference?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jincheker, Jul 7, 2012.

1. jincheker macrumors newbie

Hi, everyone

I just bought Acer's 22 inch S220HQL monitor. On its manual, it says the input connector is D-sub and DVI-D 24pin (Only dual-input model). It's resolution is 1920*1080

I have a Mini DisplayPort to VGA connector now, and it works fine.

I want to know will the display becomes better if I use a DVI connector? Does anyone have both of these two kinds of connector, and compared between the two?

Thanks

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

In all my years of using both VGA and DVI, I could never see a difference in quality. Perhaps my eyese aren't that perceptive to see it.

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Theoretically, the DVI is better.

Practically, I can't tell the difference either.

4. jincheker thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, that really help. I think I'm going to keep on using my VGA connector

5. Freyqq macrumors 68040

I have a 24" monitor that does dvi and vga. DVI is always calibrated correctly on the monitor. However, VGA needs to be calibrated on the monitor, but usually the monitor has an autocorrect button. Once autocorrected, it looks pretty much identical.

6. houkouonchi macrumors regular

At resolution over 1024x768 yes I can see a difference.

7. vanc macrumors 6502

It's a lot different for me. DVI is much sharper. I used to use a VGA KVM switch for DELL 2410M with one Mac Mini, two PCs. After changed to a DVI KVM switch, I suddenly found how good 2410M IPS screen is.

Of course, compared with the new rMBP, Dell looks like junk. :D

8. DrJohnZoidberg macrumors member

Yes. There's a marked difference on my old Acer monitor. DVI is sharper than the VGA signal, and the colours are better too.

When using VGA, the signal is converted from digital, to analogue, transmitted down the cable, converted back to digital at the monitor, then displayed. Whereas DVI is digital, digital, digital. There can't not be a degradation with VGA. Whether you can notice it will be a function of the quality of your GFX card, monitor, cable, and your eyesight.

9. magbarn macrumors 68000

Look closely at screen when using VGA. Unless you have a video card with a very good analog output and a high quality cable, you'll have ghosting around the letters. This becomes much worse over 1024x768. Only time I put up with VGA is when doing a presentation in an outdated boardroom with only a crappy vga projector available.

10. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Every time I've used VGA or DVI, DVI has always been sharper, no matter the resolution.

11. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho