Vhs to dvd?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Crzyrio, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

Hi Guys,

I am looking to convert all of my VHS to DVD. Is there any OS X Software that is ideal for this?

Thinking of getting this ---> "http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10810&cs_id=1081003&p_id=1882&seq=1&format=2"

and then using a video capture software for mac. They do provide their own software but it is only for Windows and the reviews about the software aren't great.

Thanks
    Rioch

2. greganpace macrumors regular

In college I worked in a mac lab that had the equipment to do this. I don't remember what equipment or software we used (I was thinking it was just iMovie, but that doesn't sound quite right). I will say though that it was not particularly easy or worth while. You have to play through minute to minute to make it digital and even then the picture quality is just awful. Unless it is something that is very important to you, I don't think it is worth it.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

I connected my old VHS player to a DVD recorder and it worked fine. I found it was cheaper to buy a minimalist DVD recorder and use that.

4. spice weasel macrumors 65816

As simsaladimbamba points out, this is a topic that has been discussed many times in these forums. All you need to know can be found in those threads he linked to.

I'll say that it is not wise to use a DVD recorder. The whole purpose of converting from VHS is to put your old footage in a format that can be migrated to new technologies as easily as possible while at the same time mitigating against image quality degradations that result from transcoding. So by all means burn a playable DVD if you like, but keep the original captured stream in a safe format so you can use it again in the future.

5. petisjioweelsha macrumors member

I have a Geniatech iGrabber which is basically a Mac compatible version of the one that you mentioned. The software that comes with it isn't particularly great - its rather clunky and looks like it came straight from OS9. I'm not sure how pleasant it would be to try to capture a sizable VHS collection...