vibration/shaking around the macbook pro (durability)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dsprimal, May 15, 2010.

1. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

title explains it. what harm could be caused when slamming hands or fists against the table ur macbook pro is sitting on. can the tremors/rumble cause any internal harm? like loosening of hardware pieces or anything?

2. mistamental11 macrumors newbie

Freezing

one day i started running with with my laptop in my hand, i did not drop it or anything, but it seems that everytime i shake my laptop, a video or songs im listening too freezes for like 2 seconds, is that normal, i have a windows laptop and it does not do that.... whats up?

3. mistamental11 macrumors newbie

Freezing

one day i started running with with my laptop in my hand, i did not drop it or anything, but it seems that everytime i shake my laptop, a video or songs im listening too freezes for like 2 seconds, is that normal, i have a windows laptop and it does not do that.... whats up?

4. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

could affect the hard drive .... solution ... stop doing that :cool:

5. Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502

Yes it will cause harm, so don't do it. And why would you want to slam hands or fists on the MBP or running around with it in hand is beyond me.

I swear if I ever drop this thing....

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Check the operating shock and vibration spec for your hard drive. If you're exceeding that, then I would suggest changing the operating environment.

If you have an iPhone/iPodT, there are several apps which can give you a close measurement of the shock/vibration. Below are some example specs which most current drives can survive. I imagine it would be pretty hard to generate those kind of accelerations by hand, but sudden movements can cause more than you might think. Also, these are absolute max ratings. Lesser levels might be survivable, but could weaken and cause premature failure of a component down the line.

Seagate Momentus XT:

vibration: 5–500 Hz 1.0 Gs (0 to peak). Max displacement may apply below 10 Hz.

Shock: 350 Gs based on half-sine shock pulses of 2 ms

(This was one of the odder thread topics - my reaction was to treat it as Sheldon Cooper might.. ;) )